Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Magic Collab

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work DVM & Helliott! Just excellent!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

OK, ten days is long enough. Helliott's a tough act to follow, but I told SVL I would.... (besides, this is too good a backer to quit on just yet.....)

http://www.box.net/shared/d27r6m60w4

Next???
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

ahhhh... so nice... gots ya playing thru the stereo.. I could hear santana in the wings saying "HEY I wish I sounded that good!!" nice job guys!!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OG, you never cease to amaze me with how you can take a piece and just give it your own thing. Very nice!! Your note selection really gives it a signature.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    OG, you never cease to amaze me with you can take a piece and just give it your own thing. Very nice!! Your note selection really gives it a signature.
    Well, thank you........ thing is......I only know 12 notes, so I'm bound to repeat myself, I guess that's "my" sound, until I learn some more......:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet recording Oldguy. I really dig your sound.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much, SuperSwede.
    (You do know I steal riffs from you, Spudman, and Robert, right?)

: : :
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Thanks very much, SuperSwede.
    (You do know I steal riffs from you, Spudman, and Robert, right?)

: : :
    Steal all you want.. we probably took them from someone else anyway..

Post Thanks / Like

OG, here's the deal. You ain't followin nobody. You take the track and make it your own, and that's the plain truth. Lots of people just play it, and others will aim for a note for note thing, but you inject your completely own style, which covers some of the bases but is quite unique -- certainly moreso than my cover. So, keep burnin. And that's all.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My new instructor is teaching me some practical theory concerning leads over chord changes and a neat trick to sound good while jamming over a set of chords. Take the chord, figure out how to do it barred, then figure out what notes are being played in the Barre chord. Then, allowing yourself to use other notes in the relevant pentatonic scale during the transition, start and end the measure only on notes being played in that barre form of the chord.

Note that if you are following the form of the chord, notes that are Major notes, rather than notes in the minor pentatonic scale are being legal, and sound great! We (My teacher Chip and I) are using Black Magic Woman as a study piece, using the D minor, A minor, and G Minor chords involved. I have been practicing by my warm up, followed by starting the backer and playing rhythm chords with it, then figuring out how to play in this manner over the chords. Very interesting, and teaching me a lot.

Now the next part of my practice outline I am working on is learning the song, so I was searching out lessons on the song itself. Lesson time with Chip has been devoted so far to the practical theory, rather than rote learning the song. He figures I can figure that out on my own.

So I youtube search some lessons on BMW to get a jump start on some of the licks/leads and came up with this! He does not teach us the song either, but explains the theory behind the leads over the chords. It totally ties it all together. The leads are essentially F major scale, which is basically the same as D Minor scale over the chords. Now I can work toward stitching all these concepts together, using the chord tones and passing tones, and figure out my own leads in the flavor of, but not direct monkey see/monkey do copying, Carlos's performances. Cool!

Anyway, was just excited about this learning and hoped someone else might find it useful too. Enjoy an rock on brothers and sisters!

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, guys that was just SANTASTIC, OldGuy way to play that thing, SS you too man, heck you all were good, Congrats SunValley great playing and vocals too. Inspiration is what that is. I just hope to be able to do that well.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't resist taking a stab at this....

http://www.box.net/shared/8b23l5bsws

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great P'nG'! Thanks for hopping in there!

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Ok, guys that was just SANTASTIC, OldGuy way to play that thing, SS you too man, heck you all were good, Congrats SunValley great playing and vocals too. Inspiration is what that is. I just hope to be able to do that well.
    Street, thanks for the complement, but I did not sing. If you meant the vid embedded in my last post on this thread, that is a lesson I found, but not me. I posted my take earlier on in this thing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black Magic

I could' nt resist the temptation ,so, here s a try ..If somebody whishes to finish it , go ahead..Ain t got no time left, busy days ..

http://www.box.net/shared/4bcmzxb0gk

Ciao

blazes:
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blazes
    I could' nt resist the temptation ,so, here s a try ..If somebody whishes to finish it , go ahead..Ain t got no time left, busy days ..

http://www.box.net/shared/4bcmzxb0gk

Ciao

blazes:
    That was hot... I really liked it

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice Blazes!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! Nice clip Blazes...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123