Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
BYOC Tri-Booster Pedal Kit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BYOC Tri-Booster Pedal Kit

Post Thanks / Like

I came across THIS informative article today, explaining how booster pedals work and comparing them vs. overdrives and amp gain stages. This shed some light for me on how my new TriBoost pedal is working, and why it acts like it does. Interesting....to a geek like me, anyway!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I love this kind of stuff.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I finally got around to painting & decaling this pedal. Came out pretty well, I think. I call it "Tone Triage", a little play-on-words with the Tri-booster name. When your tone needs some first aid, stomp on this! The ambulance graphic on the decal is positioned so that the pedal's LED looks like the light on top:

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful. The master does it again.:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Pedal looks great DVM. Is there a special paint for the metal casing you use? Just curious about the adhesion factor.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Hello duhvoodooman,

I am curious how you go about doing your decals? I am sorry if you have already covered this. I have been thinking of giving the decal paper a try that you put in your printer. Is this what you use?

Thank you for your time and help. The clips sound great!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Is there a special paint for the metal casing you use? Just curious about the adhesion factor.
    I generally use spray lacquer, and find that it adheres very well to these aluminum casings. For this one, however, I had to use enamel because the local hardware store near where I work didn't have the color I wanted (a light beige) in lacquer. I found the enamel harder to work with; it's touchy on adhesion and tends to "orange peel", if you're not very careful. I think that if I'd presanded the surface more thoroughly, it probably would have gone more smoothly. I just gave it a quick scuff, and it wasn't quite enough.

Bottom-line: I'd recommend sticking with lacquer, because it seems to be a lot more forgiving. Even better, buy the enclosure pre-painted! Pedal Parts Plus has a nice selection of sizes and colors. Since this was a full kit, that wasn't an option; it came with a bare metal enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    I am curious how you go about doing your decals? I am sorry if you have already covered this. I have been thinking of giving the decal paper a try that you put in your printer. Is this what you use?
    I've used inkjet decal paper from Papilio thusfar, with fairly good results. When I started, I used to cut out the individual graphics much like we used to do with model car and plane decals, as a kid. However, this is tedious, and you end up with an uneven surface in the top clearcoat, due to the thickness of the decal itself. There are ways to mitigate that, but it adds even more work.

I finally got smart and started doing full-face decals. In other words, that pedal has a single decal that covers the entire top. The perimeter is about a sixteenth of an inch outside of that red border. The application of the decal itself thus becomes very easy; you just have to be careful to squeeze out any air bubbles trapped underneath. They sell a "mounting fluid" that you spread on the surface to be decaled, and it makes it easy to slide the decal into exactly the right position. Then you squeegee out the excess water, pat it dry, and let it dry overnight. Add a couple of coats of clear lacquer or enamel, and you're done. Since the edge of the decal is at the perimeter of the pedal surface, it blends right in and isn't really noticeable.

The full-face method takes a lot more effort to set up, though, because the graphics have to be positioned in exactly the right locations on the decal to correspond to the controls. I end up printing it to regular paper to see how it aligns, then do any necessary fine-tuning before doing the final print to the decal paper.

I need to re-order decal paper (Warning! Not cheap!), but this time I'm going to try the laserjet variety. We have a nice color laserjet at work, and it gets around the tendency of the ink to bleed a bit, even when "sealed" with a couple of coats of clear lacquer or enamel, which is necessary before soaking them in water for application.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats one classy looking pedal you have there DVM!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm interested in how the stuff would hold up being printed with "laser" jet. Very good build Voo as usual!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet job DVM and thank you for the info on decaling I can't wait to try it out. Your work is always excellent and inspirational.

Something they have out for the scale modeling community is a decal setting solution. This helps soften the decal and draws it over rough surfaces. Not that it would be of any good on a pedal but you never know what project it might help on. The mildest product is Micro-Sol setting solution and the strongest for tough jobs when the Micro-Sol just won't bring that decal into the uneven areas is Solvaset setting solution. These can usually be found in Hobby shops or Model railroad shops.

I have found Zink Chromate to be an excellent primer for aluminum. This is what is used in aircraft and most anything commercial like buses and what not. It can be found in auto body supply stores. It is pretty toxic though so keep the spray down wind if you can but this stuff really sticks good. It is usually green to yellow-green in color.

I hope this helps some.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Zinc chromate, huh? Being a chemist by training, I know that's some pretty nasty stuff. Do you know if it can be brushed on, rather than sprayed?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this old thread....
    Stalking DVM's page I read his comments on this pedal and it sounds pretty awesome.

You mention in the thread DVM, that you don't expect to sell these....is that still the case?

Did anyone (Robert) ever get their hands on one and make a video?

DVM, how do you ever get any actual work done? Between you BJr mods, Epi Jr mods and pedals...don't know how anyone, especially a Yankees fan, could pull that off! Impressive.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I sell 'em--$150 fully finished, $120 assembled/unpainted.

AFAIK, nobody's done a video of one of mine, but you can probably find a couple on YouTube for the pedal.

Work? Wassat?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12