Thread: Here I go again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here I go again

As I told you around Christmas as I joined the forum and decided to give the band gig another whirl. Well next Saturday is our first gig , at a small Ice House here in Houston on the east side. Houston is a musicians paradise not bragging as great musicians but just so many .When you play in Houston you never know who will show up. When I first moved to Texas I played in a band and one night we covered an old Roy Head song ( Treat Her Right ) at break Roy Head walked up and shook our hands. We will have had three weeks together never playing together before , but thats life. This first show is gonna be so damn diverse nobody will ever be able to label this band . Some Etta James , Santana , I get to play some slide on Sweet Home Chicago ( Foghat style ) The hardest thing is every time I play with new folks someone always changes the songs key for a singer . We have a lot of ground to cover this week . The band will be known as ( RBD ) Rox Z And The Boodogs , a little bit of Cajun slang . The goal is to play at the big Oilfield Party in April . I have played at the Houston Livestock show And Rodeo for Chevron and that is big bucks . The oilfield party is two days of music eating and partying with over 50,000 people . This is a party all the Oilfield companies throw to celebrate and donate to the Houston food pantry. It is a rush to play at this gig and before I die I will play it. So it is forward march !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yow VSTAR, that sounds great! Good luck.

Can you explain the cajun slang?

Rox Z is proabably Roxy, but I got nothin' beyond that except that it is likely to be a sexual reference.
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Ca c'est bon!

: : :
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

cool vstar....break a leg....not a string!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Former Sugarland resident

Hey VSTAR,

Good luck on the gig. Yes, Houston has a great music scene. I used to live in Sugarland for 8yrs. I miss the excitement and wish that I took more advantage while I still lived there.

fastfoot
    Guitars: American Fender Strat, Tacoma Jumbo acoustic
    Amps: Epiphone Junior tube, Kustom acoustic. Ibanez tube screamer pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds great Vstar! Have a great time!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that does sound cool Vstar. My son lives in Houston, I may have to give him a heads up.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats VSTAR! You don't mess around do ya? Musicians version of 0-60 in 5 seconds! : Which Ice House exactly will you be at?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Ice House

We will be playing the Safari Club on West Little York and the HardyToll Road. Anyone who knows Houston understands this is a neighborhood you don't want to get lost in. I have never been to this Ice House so I can't personally say anything about it. This gig will be one step above a train wreck . But you always have to pay your dues with a new band. luvmyshiner , when you lived in Houston did you ever see Scott McGill or to us Houstonions THE Scott Mcgill. That guy has to be one of the best guitar players I have ever seen. When he does his opus I just want to put my guitar away and never play again. He is incredible I have never seen anything like him .

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vstar, sorry brother I've never lived in Houston. Been in Waco since '82. My son moved there after he graduated from Baylor. He's a software engineer for a company called Texas Memory Systems Inc.

Now I do have an ex-wife who's family lives in the Houston area, you'll understand if we aren't particularly close anymore. But I'll try to check out THE Scott McGill and see if I can find some clips. Thanks for the heads up.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds cool! I'd love to play for a big crowd some day. I've played big stages but not to big crowds.

Break a leg!

Post Thanks / Like

Met Roy Head huh?!? That's cool!

A band I was in decades ago used to do "Treat Her Right" from Roy Buchanan's "2nd Album". Great old song with great lead break....

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Default speaking of diversity...

Greetings all.
    I see where V Star's band will be playing a lot of different stuff. My GAS goal is to play a lot of different stuff, too, but in a different way. I need the advice of this group. I can barely play 5 chords. I am trying to learn between real life and turning 50. I have a bad acquisition habit. I like hollow and semi hollow guitars.
    I have these:
    O Schmidt OE 40, OS OE 30 (Delta King)
    Epiphone Dot Studio
    Ibanez w/ Trem ( can't remember number)
    Jay Turser 133
    Jay turser LP-sized HB ( don't know the number)
    Jay Turser SM ( 3 humbuckers , big jazz box style body)
    A couple of thinline MIJ HB electrics probably from Woolworth's
    A couple of those Vietnamese inlaid 335 style ones you see on eBay
    A ton of other junk, but mostly solid

OK, so I know it ain;t the arrow, it's the indian, but does anyone have an opinion on the utility of getting a Jay Turser Cleopatra or maybe stretching for a Gretsch 5129? Or should I quit buying and just practice?

I don't have the ability to put pictures up. Sorry.

Any practical comparisons among the various hollow and semi hollow guitars in the $500 and under range ( used or now) would be mast appreciated. Thanks
    Notalentbum
    Last edited by notalentbum; January 27th, 2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

A healthy mixture of practice and acquisition can't hurt. :
    After all, you GOTTA feed the fire !