Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build your own guitar ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Build your own guitar ?

I've been thinking about this for a while, more so the past few days cooped up with a cold. I am interested in a hardtail strat or a standard tele.
    I know there are Saga and Grizzly kits, but I'm not interested in getting a bunch of crap electronics that would never be used or questionable woods.
    What about buying a quality finished neck and unfinished body ?
    What about buying a pawn shop cheapy as a donor ?
    I don't have the tools to actually make a body from scratch but I do have access to them.

Anyone else gone through this ? I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

thanks

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

I've went through this also, I got a saga strat kit, and please, don't put it down, in spite of the crappy ten-piece basswood body, and the crappy tuners, everything works great, just put some cash on good tuners, and maybe some good pickups and an alder or your prefered tonewood body an you've got a working guitar. yoiu could also try going for a WD music kit, about $400, and a pre-finished body and everything is top-notch, you can find them here:

www.wdmusic.com.

once again, these ones are premium quality.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pie, good to know you have good things to say about the Saga kit. I may go that route as a first.
    Thanks for the tips.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my new bass neck from Rondo a SX its well finished for the value.
    My Jazz bass is made via ebay & others Body ebay Eden fairly good & right price
    Tunners Wilkson are good value again ebay
    Bridge locally ( no name ) ok I would buy it again thinking of relacing bridge at GFS
    Pickups GFS very good value not as good as S&D etc but for the price good value
    Thing I like about is you can do what you want / finish etc
    I can recommend a Danish oil finish if you are not that ggod at painting all you do is put on wait 10 mins rub off 8 coats in 4 days
    I would recommend if you did this finish put on Minmax rub on poly 6 coats 2 a day . Nice finish & very durable
    Electronic if you can do it take it to some one only 1/2 dozen wires to solder
    End of the day you can tell people you made it & you will be suprise how many people like it
    I have had 2 offers to build parts bass/ guitar from people I might take them upfor some thing to do
    Any way best of luck
    Bass a natural finish Jazz bass with a SX rosewood neck with white block inlay GFS Jazz PUPS Suzuki clasical guitar Behringer BX1800 amp
    Guitar (sons) Epiphone SG310 Epiphone LP junior Takamine 836D Chrous , wah volume , echo , overdrive pedals Ashton 80 watt amp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips Rob43, I just saw the pic of your bass, looks GREAT !
    Now I'm thinking rather than a build for a first, maybe a re-finish for starters.
    Pick up a beater, don't care about the electrics or finish, as long as the body is decent, could be scratched and dented for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good idea my 1st play around was a old bass at a grage sale for $5 thought oh well its no good it can become a wall hanger or if I stuffed it up total I will brun it
    Bass a natural finish Jazz bass with a SX rosewood neck with white block inlay GFS Jazz PUPS Suzuki clasical guitar Behringer BX1800 amp
    Guitar (sons) Epiphone SG310 Epiphone LP junior Takamine 836D Chrous , wah volume , echo , overdrive pedals Ashton 80 watt amp

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an site you might want to check out if you're looking for excellent quality bodies and necks for a good price.

http://www.guitar-alley.com/servlet/StoreFront

B. Hefner is not just licensed by Fender, but makes bodies and necks for Fender as well. The downside to ordering from this site, is that in order to get a body for $119.99 or a neck for $129.99, you'll have to wait about 5-6 weeks to get them. Great for long range planning, but not too good if you gotta have it now. You can get them quicker from this manufacturer, but it'll cost a lot more.

Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars make great quality bodies and necks as well, but they're much pricier than B. Hefner's Guitar Alley.

A couple of good books I'd recommend before getting started:

Guitar Player Repair Guide, by Dan Erlewine
    This book will give you all the information you'll need to assemble a solid body electric guitar from pre-made components. It's like a must have book for general guitar repairs and set up too.

Guitar Refinishing Step-By-Step, by Dan Erlewine & Don MacRostie
    Great guide for a beginning guitar finisher.

Let me know if you do plan to go ahead with a build of your own, Ted. I'd be happy to share the sources I use for the parts 'n pieces you'll need to put one together...without breaking the bank...

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two more book suggestions:

Make Your Own Electric Guitar, by Melvyn Hiscock

Building Electric Guitars, by Martin Koch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Blooz and Pontcat,
    .. oh so many wannadoo's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Thanks Blooz and Pontcat,
    .. oh so many wannadoo's
    ...the GAS is strong in this one.... you will learn well from this experience.....
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Try a Carvin Bolt Kit. I built two in the past, and they are second to none -- high quality and still reasonably priced. They are priced at about $400+ now, but when I built my kits they were about $300.00.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

For lots of info for self builds, try the Tele-Tech section of www.tdpri.com. A search there on 'partscaster' or similar would be useful.

The Squier 51 modder's forum is full of useful stuff for the builder/tinkerer too. I've lost the link but google'll get you there.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sblack
    Try a Carvin Bolt Kit. I built two in the past, and they are second to none -- high quality and still reasonably priced. They are priced at about $400+ now, but when I built my kits they were about $300.00.
    I've been looking at those for a long time but never did anything about it. They claim it is "no soldering", although I don't know how they connect the jack hot and ground. When I was considering that, I was planning on going with their black paint job, an HSS configuration, black pearloid pickguard, and a bird's eye maple neck. Would be sexy, no?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

For those that have made there own body, what kind of characteristics/qualities would you look for in a router ?
    Anyone used a StewMac neck ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default frankencaster

Hi Ted,
    First thanks for enabling my GAS on another thread.

Do you know the story of George Washington's original hatchet, on display somewhere? They had replaced the handle a couple of times and the head once.

If you start with a cheapie and take off everything crappy, you may find yourself with nothing left, but you may find that the neck and body of most strat knockoffs are decent. Painting is easy enough and there are people far away ( bruce wei on eBay) who will inlay your name on a cover for the back.

I'd start with a Squier beater and take the screwdriver and sander to it. If you don't like what is revealed, then investigate one of those nicer bodies.

Best of luck,
    NoTalentBum
    (free advice worth 85% of what it costs)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,I have a Warmoth Tele and a Saga LP,the wood quality of Warmoth is great but I would go for stainless frets as mine wore out quickly compared to my Strat and the Saga it makes a nice slide rig once you change the cheap pups and pots.Like the saying goes ya get what ya paid for.Sumi

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to change pickups etc another way might be 1 of those reall cheap new guitars on ebay.
    I look at it this way if its no good & you got it at the right $ you can allways use it as a wall hanger.
    My son loves Lespauls & I am thing of buying 1 for his wall to hang up

Post Thanks / Like

National music supply on eBay has one they call the FLP (search titles and descriptions ) for about $80, plus $45 shipping. (US$) I think their Strat copy is probably a better player,and much cheaper, but it depends on what you want. Chances are you couldn't get a decent framed picture of a Les Paul for much less than $120. I think a determined DIY luthier could probably do some shimming and make it playable, but you don't know until it comes in.

NO endorsement
    No connection to NMS or eBay
    No Talent Bum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast