Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
replacement nut for a cheapie (Fullerton) strat?

Thread: replacement nut for a cheapie (Fullerton) strat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default replacement nut for a cheapie (Fullerton) strat?

I bought one of those Fullerton strat copies awhile back for next to nothing and changed the plastic nut for a graphite one. I brought it to a local guitar repairman to have him cut the slots which I had botched. He wound up cutting the B and high E slots too low, and I just let the guitar sit. Now I'd like to put on a suitable nut, but really don't want to go back to that guy. Any way I can buy a truly pre-slotted nut online? I say "truly pre-slotted" because the one I bought was supposedly slotted (an Allparts, I think) but for all practical purposes did not have significant slots.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a pre-slotted tusq nut at StewMac for my Fullerton ST4, and it worked great.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Did you buy item #4750, with the bump on the bottom, and sand that off?

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, exactly! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I bought a pre-slotted tusq nut at StewMac for my Fullerton ST4, and it worked great.
    +1 StewMac pre-slots are great & save a ton of time.....
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I put a pre-slotted Tusq nut into my SX STL Ash tele copy. It was surprisingly easy, including removing the "bump" on the bottom of the nut, and it has improved the guitar's tuning stability and playability.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Nuts...

Go with a bone nut, and a different luthier.
    Bone is easier to work with and will keep your strat sounding like a strat.:
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowEndWonder
    Go with a bone nut, and a different luthier.
    Bone is easier to work with and will keep your strat sounding like a strat.:
    +1 for bone. And cows are a renewable resource
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    +1 for bone. And cows are a renewable resource
    Amen bros....."Bone for tone" IMO....(Wish Buzz Feiten used that!)

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Pickngrin, I know this is nearly a year-old thread but in case anyone else is interested in a finished bone or other material nut - there's a guy selling custom nuts and saddles in ebay - Treeroot - I've bought from him and a lot of other buddies from other forums have too - he does fantastic work at a very reasonable price. He is in England and also quite busy so it may need a couple, three weeks to get the item(s) but well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterBoy
    Pickngrin, I know this is nearly a year-old thread but in case anyone else is interested in a finished bone or other material nut - there's a guy selling custom nuts and saddles in ebay - Treeroot - I've bought from him and a lot of other buddies from other forums have too - he does fantastic work at a very reasonable price. He is in England and also quite busy so it may need a couple, three weeks to get the item(s) but well worth it.
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, this thread is not even a month old.
    I just recently bought a pre-slotted Tusq nut from Guitarelectronics.com, but haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I see - I mistook the date you joined for the thread age. Thanks for clearing me up. In the meantime b4 installation of new nut, have you considered Krazy glue in the slots that are too low? I tried this from tips offered at another forum when I went too far on my last nut job. Actually, Krazy glue, even without the wood particle fillers mixed with it (as suggested in the other forum) works fine and has lasted several months and still going! A decent quick fix!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... yeah, I had thought about superglue, but there was no real rush, as this isn't my main guitar, and I didn't want to compromise the tone too much...