Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Recording Software

Thread: Recording Software

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recording Software

A friend and I, have been looking for good recording software... maybe where we can record some demos? or better quality works....

I have guitar rig 2... but thats not what I assumed it was... pretty much useless to me without the switchboard..

so tell me what kinda software you guys recommend for recording

Post Thanks / Like

apple or pc?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

PC. Inter Celeron and Windows XP

Post Thanks / Like

i know some of the pc guys use audacity (freeware) and it is supposed to be pretty good (i'm sure they will chime in)....or you could by an imac and use garageband that is included for free!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i know some of the pc guys use audacity (freeware) and it is supposed to be pretty good (i'm sure they will chime in...
    Audacity has my vote. I've only been using it a short time, but it has all kinds of bells & whistles and is still quite easy to use. From what I've read, it pretty much stands unrivaled as freeware music recording and editing software for the PC. You can download it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with Audacity too. Or Acoustica Mixcraft $40. One free the other cheap...hmmmm...free! More features if you pay though. Get used to Audacity then look for another program later when you are more recording savvy.
    My $.02 worth.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just a beginner on it. It is easy to use.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigbear, why is Guitar Rig useless without the switchboard? I used it a lot until I got the Tonelab. You use it as a VST/Core Audio plugin and straight into Cubase/Logic/Garageband... Sounds very good as well. The only thing you cannot do is to change sounds while you are playing.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I would assume this would depend on how much you want to spend?

Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ puts you in the Free catagory with very simple to use interface.

[Edited - Disregard this one 30 day mp3 encoder only] CakeWalks Music Creator 3 http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Mus...or/default.asp Comes in at $40.00 and has alot of features and included loops and sounds for a very small price tag... (For $40.00 I am going to have to try this one... haven't yet..but it's sitting at best buy.. hope the Cyber Series plugin works with this)

Adobe Audition http://www.adobe.com/products/auditi...FSlpLAod1HoHJg Started out as an old time favorate called Cool Edit... Suggested at $350.00 can be found for as little as $140.00 and adds in the option of Video along with your Sound recordings.. make that MTV video all will enjoy!!

Those are but a few options that come to mind... I think the bigger question... what will you use to get it into the computer? USB seems to have latency problems and Firewire seems to be pricey.... You could always get a card to put inside the computer with more features and at a discount price.. then there is the simplicity factor... breakout box or just wires running behind your PC... MusiciansFriend.com http://www.musiciansfriend.com/rec/n...=100001+309132 Has a bunch of options in the PCI slot venue... I am not doing any demo's myself and still like to play PC games.. so a Creative Labs Audigy Card with breakout box still gives me all the audio I need with easy plugins up front for guitar and digital boxes plus my 3-d sound for games... There is soooo many options it makes my little head spin... well, thats my 2 cents worth..and thats about all it's worth...
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; March 25th, 2006 at 05:51 AM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully when I understand and improve my skills with the free Audacity software I may move up the Cakewalk $40.00 package. I am trying to find Cakewalk “user comments" on the Internet, but not having too much luck. Does anybody have experience with this product?
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it in Staples about 3 weeks ago. The price was $39.00 + chsnge.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed something about Music Creator 3 and want to say sorry for mentioning it.. It seems to come with a 30 day MP3 converter... then you must pay another $29.00 to get the full version of the encoder/decoder.. Also your limited to 48000khz saves.. for some reason .. although their next expensive product goes to 96.. then there next to 192... kinda strange for software no?

I did look further for an under $40.00 program... and found MixCraft by Acoustica.. 192khz record/saves and it has full MP3 included at no extra cost in 30 days and CD burning and is seemed to be supported pretty well.... You can download the Demo at http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/index.htm ..I kinda liked the time stretching addition.. and found the program pretty easy to use... they also have tutorials online ..
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; March 25th, 2006 at 05:32 AM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you try the Kristal Engine:

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

It's very intuitive and free for personal use. A very nice mixer view.

I use it for all my recordings.

And then, a set of very good and free VST-Effects:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the VST effects Christian
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Thanks for the VST effects Christian
    ss....do those work with garageband?

ww

Post Thanks / Like

VST works in Cubase/Logic but can be adapted for use with garageband.

http://www.macjams.com/article.php?s...40302152746472

Post Thanks / Like

I use Adobe Audition, I've liked it ever since it was CoolEdit.
    My sound card has a breakout box so no problem getting it into the PC.

But since I built my new system, I'm currently using the onboard audio(less clutter on my desk,,heh), I'd have to dig out the sound card with the breakout box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    VST works in Cubase/Logic but can be adapted for use with garageband.

http://www.macjams.com/article.php?s...40302152746472
    cool...

ww