Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Just got a Strat, annoying fret issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got a Strat, annoying fret issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got a Strat, annoying fret issue

Hey gents. Last week, I picked up a MIM Strat Standard. Upon bringing it home and playing unplugged, I noticed that I get a lot of grinding against the frets on the B and high E strings when bending (and I bend a lot). I figured it was just a new guitar thing and after a few days, the strings would wear in the top of the frets and all would be well.

However, I'm still having this problem. Examining the tops of the frets, I've noticed a lot of little "divets" in them (running horizontal against the fret; same direction as the string). I don't think they're necessarily being created by the strings; I'm assuming they've been there all along since the grinding has been there since I bought 'er. When doing bends, I guess it would be like traveling along speed bumps.

So, like, what do I do about these? I've never experienced this on any other guitar I bought new and would hate to dump more money into it since, well....it's supposed to be a new guitar (straight out of the box, matter of fact).

Post Thanks / Like

Sure sounds like playing wear from here............the guitar is new? The guitar could also have been jostled pretty badly in the box with the strings denting the frets.

The fix is a fret dressing, but since that guitar is brand new, I'd take it up with the store you bought it from first.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danzego
    Hey gents. Last week, I picked up a MIM Strat Standard. Upon bringing it home and playing unplugged, I noticed that I get a lot of grinding against the frets on the B and high E strings when bending (and I bend a lot). I figured it was just a new guitar thing and after a few days, the strings would wear in the top of the frets and all would be well.

However, I'm still having this problem. Examining the tops of the frets, I've noticed a lot of little "divets" in them (running horizontal against the fret; same direction as the string). I don't think they're necessarily being created by the strings; I'm assuming they've been there all along since the grinding has been there since I bought 'er. When doing bends, I guess it would be like traveling along speed bumps.

So, like, what do I do about these? I've never experienced this on any other guitar I bought new and would hate to dump more money into it since, well....it's supposed to be a new guitar (straight out of the box, matter of fact).
    Luckily this is an easy fix.

1. Remove strings.
    2. Put masking tape on the side of each fret, exposing only the frets.
    3. Get 00000 grade steel wool (at any Home Depot) and ball up a tiny piece.
    4. Run that tiny balled up steel wool back and forth evenly across each fret until you get a smooth shine. This may take 20-30 passes.
    5. Restring, stretch strings, and tune guitar.

No more rough frets.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Sort of looks to me like more than a fret polishing..................

Polishing will not fix the "divets" Danzego is seeing and feeling on the frets.

Need pics!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I had that kind of thing going on my Turser Strat from new, I went over the frets with I think it was 800 grit paper, turned out fine. I didn't have divots, more like heavy scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.freewebs.com/littleelf/fr...%20and%206.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/littleelf/19...%20low%20E.jpg

Perhaps "divets" can be too strong of a term or at least evokes too strong of an image. But here's a couple pics and that first one really makes the fret looks like it has rocky crags, more than anything, huh? To the unaided eye, it looks more like scratching (some deeper than others, but if anything, that definitely shows me that my idea of it smoothing out over time was misguided. That's at the 5th and 6th fret on the high side, btw. The other picture is around the 17th to 19th fret on the low string side. Keep in mind that the lighting in the picture lets you see it most at just the edge of the fret, where the problem is the worst, but there's enough along the frets themselves to gain my attention in the first place (goes back to the whole grinding issue).

I do find it interesting that I've never had a problem that I've noticed on any of my other guitars (I did check them and from the cheapo BC Rich Mockingbird on up, none of them have anything more than the occasional ding here and there), but here's this brand new, out of the box Fender and I'm grinding strings across the frets due to this. Is this really more common than I'm making it out to be or should I be heading over to the store to grab a different one?
    Last edited by Danzego; January 21st, 2008 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez Danz, it's brand new ? I would take it back. I would think they should replace it or make it right, that's not too much to expect.
    Be sure to let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, brand new. As in "pulled it out of the sealed box and handed it to me" new. I checked it to see that everything worked, how it played, and checked for dead spots on the neck. I certainly didn't think to look at the frets to make sure they didn't have that going on as I haven't seen it before on any of my other guitars.

But then here's a question: how does that happen to begin with? The direction of the "scratches" seems to imply it being from the string, but then if it is, how cruddy would the fret wire have to be to begin with? More importantly, is this going to happen to any MIM Strat I replace it with, whether it be a Standard, Lonestar, or Deluxe Players (the three models I was weighing between to begin with)?

Post Thanks / Like

Good questions but I have no input on that one.
    If it's any consolation, my MIM Tele didn't have any issues like that (or any others)

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

No expert here, but I would say they are tool marks from someone tapping in the frets. Based on the pictures, they appear to be on the ends of the frets - no further in than the 2nd and 5th string. Someone either had a crappy tool or some piece of equipment needed some maintenance.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it came from the strings. They look like tool marks and crappy job at that.

Take it back.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

After reading what you said, strum, I did just sight up the frets and yeah, the problem centers around the ends of the frets and moving in towards the 2nd and 5th string (though a bit further in a few cases). I hate to do it since I'm starting to become attached to the guitar- I'm sure most people here know how it is- but I'm going to swing over to the store and swap it out tonight. Either that or use it as credit towards a different Strat, if they haven't gotten any new ones in since I bought it (I got the last one that wasn't a floor model).

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Danzego,

I think I would take it back as well. they should not be that bad on a new guitar. It appears to me like some of the frets are flat in some areas too. This would require a crowning and dressing after that. Now you are talking good money that should not have to be spent on a new guitar. In getting it all leveled out you will not have a new guitar any longer.

M29

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, take it back.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yeah, take it back.
    +1. That just ain't right.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he's headed to the store already, it will be interesting to see how this ends.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at the pictures, taking it back is your best choice. It looks like that one got through QC somehow.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Hope he gets it exchanged or a refund.
    No way that should have gotten past final inspection.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

100% agree with everyone.Take it back.Those are tooling marks as suggested and indeed the pictures show what appears to be a flat spot on atleast one fret. You shouldnt need to do a fret job on a new guitar.:

I am surprised/disappointed because Q.C. has improved in my opinion overall with fender
    Last edited by mrmudcat; January 22nd, 2008 at 01:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast