Thread: In a rutt??

Post Thanks / Like

Default In a rutt??

Hello everyone,

I've been in a rut lately. I been trying to go through all my mags & tabs to find something to get me going again. Does any one have any quick fixes I can learn for inspiration and rythm again??

thanks,
    fastfoot
    Guitars: American Fender Strat, Tacoma Jumbo acoustic
    Amps: Epiphone Junior tube, Kustom acoustic. Ibanez tube screamer pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoot
    Hello everyone,

I've been in a rut lately. I been trying to go through all my mags & tabs to find something to get me going again. Does any one have any quick fixes I can learn for inspiration and rythm again??

thanks,
    fastfoot
    Quick fix?

Walk away from it for a few days. Beating your head harder into the wall just increases the pain.

Take a break. The fire to play will return and it will be fresh again.

It happens to everyone....................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a break, go read a book, watch a movie, listen to different styles of music!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for what was said above.
    However, just in case that you don't feel like taking a break: try browsing the tab & chord websites (such as www.ultimate-guitar.com or others). You may "rediscover" a song that you'll enjoy learning. It often works for me, especially in times of lower motivation.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those ideas sound great, and search "rut" here and you will find it happens to the best of us, and find some great ideas that have already been shared.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe think about trying out some of the jam tracks the fellers have posted lately.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no sure-fire way to get motivated again; I quit playing for a stretch of 10 years from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s.

Are you listening to music? If you are, you can try to learn something you are listening to, but haven't learn how to play yet. If you find the particular piece interesting to listen to, it is probably interesting to play too.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I advocate just the opposite and say don't walk away. For me it's realizing that it's just part of playing and embrace the challenge of getting out of the rut. Go back and practice old stuff, go forward and give yourself a new challenge.

My way isn't a sure fire cure, because there is no cure, the ruts will come and go.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Just an old trick that always worked for me.For a couple days mess with a different genre of what you usually play.Myself Blues and Blues Rock, Then I'dfind myself gettin toasty and mess with some Jazz, Jazz fusion type backing tracks to jam to and return to my love and have new ideas aplenty.Hope this helps!!
    Love the Blues? bluesrepublic.org

Post Thanks / Like

Step out of your old box and learn melodies from Sinatra tunes or some advertising jingles. Just do something that you haven't done before. Even if you don't feel like playing if you focus on learning something different during this phase when you come back into your groove again you'll have learned some new ideas to implement. And you'll be positively occupied so you won't notice the rut.

If you just put the guitar down you accomplish nothing, but when it's over you'll be coming back and doing the same old things that got you into the rut in the first place.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Rutt,

Give it a break for about a week, then come back fresh and eager. :
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!