Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Science teacher's approach to assessing the global warming risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default A Science teacher's approach to assessing the global warming risk.

I hope this is not considered political. The below vid is a science teacher trying to cut through the shouting matches about global warming and how to react, or not react to the debate. A bit nerdy, but what the heck, he is a science teacher. Hope some of you like it.

P.S. if this is considered political, moderators, please feel free to pull it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

didn't we already have a thread on this stuff? (thinking outloud)

I hate it but.. I think we worry to much..
    Not that it's wrong.. or right.. it's enough!
    We only been around a few thousand years..
    We are destructive..but lets just worry about it
    till better humans with better technology can actually
    make a difference.. but it takes the whole world!

In a time of terrible economics for the U.S. of A..
    All this will add is more taxes and more weight on the poor.
    Who actually pollute less then the rich.. think about it..

We(U.S.A.) cannot control the rest of the world, and should realize that to!

I apose all U.S. bills adding to more government structure..
    we are at an end of what monies the big G should be taking
    from us! People need to cleanup their own zone and let
    the rest fall as it should be.

Ofcourse....if those intelligent leaders and science majors a few thousand
    years ago paid more attention to common sense.. we wouldn't
    be in this mess to begin with.. Jesus christ already!
    Well, if you go that way I mean..

In the long run.. someone is making money.. no one
    really tries to make things better, unless it's better
    to them personally. it's the Human way.. yes I believe this.
    seen it all my life.. dont know a single person that is different.
    Greed.. selfishness.. don't worry about it.. its human.
    and your a part of it..
    (generalizing..not YOU viewing this personally..
    I don't know you, but you probably pollute the air daily)

Im in the strong belief a Asteroid will hit the earth someday
    and we will start again anyways.. we are not the humans
    that can stop this.. global warming ain't gonna matter.
    sheeet happens..

Besides.. it might be this planet needs warming.. what about all the talk
    on the ozone layer? the hole gets smaller in warmer weather...

In the Arctic, some recent cold winters have led to 30% losses in total column ozone in early spring.
    Ozone loss in the Arctic is highly dependent on the meteorology,due to the importance of
    cold-weather Polar Stratospheric Clouds (PSCs) that act as reactive surfaces to accelerate ozone destruction.
    For this reason, the warm Arctic winter of 1998/1999 saw very little ozone loss due to the lack of PSCs,
    while the cold 1999/2000 winter saw a 20-25% loss of ozone.

Then there are those saying fresh water is running out.
    Well, the artics are full of fresh water... the warming
    will allow for the shuttle of iceburgs to other regions needing fresh water.
    They actually do this...

Could we be wrong? on either case? OFCOURSE!!

My goodness..I am the devils advocate. :
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; January 25th, 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: I keep thinking outloud

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I recycle all I can. Got all those little fluorescent lights in the house now. Try not to waste energy. Call my reps when something pi$$es me off, but I know I can't send 'em half a million to bury my wishes in a pork barrel bill. I try and do my part. But I also buy things I want when GAS hits..... and most of it's made in third world countries nowadays....where they'll clear cut and slash and burn to make way for more polluting factories to build more stuff for me to buy. Don't want to see my kids or grandkids, or anyone else's inherit misery, or die in a world catastrophe. What do I do now????? Who's the bad guy????
    Awareness is a good thing. Educate yourself, sure. Nature's going to take it's course regardless. That includes human nature. If the switch flips, we're done. You might fight back somebody with a knife or gun on the street, but you can only do so much globally.
    Enjoy what you've got now, there's nothing for sure except we're gonna die someday.......and with that being said, I'm gonna play my guitar, and post some more music related things......that's why I came here.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I like Carlin's assessment better...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw&feature=related
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx

+1000 :

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we've been bombarded with a lot of crap, some true, some pie in the sky theory - however, while I am determining my own conclusion, I must say those two videos were great. Probably the most entertaining videos I've seen on the subject.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx

Finally, there 'ya go, somebody said what I was thinkin', and way better!!
    Gonna play some music now and enjoy the time I got left.......:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Welllll..... Mr. Carlin may be happy to consign himself (and the rest of us) to oblivion, but it don't work for me. Of course, as a professional comedian, he's working hard to hold us and our notions up for ridicule, which is the nature of his work - it is good to be able to laugh at ourselves and our fears and our notions of our individual importance. However, are any of us so sour on life that we are really ready to say it's worth no more than a hole in the ground? Actually, I think those who love music have an inate sense of the wonder and glory of what it is to be human, to have reached this pinnacle in the development of life and - dare I say it - spirit. I think it's worth fighting for in terms of its having a future.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlin definitely has a point in that skit. To use a phrase from Star Wars VI, "I'm out of it for a little while, and everybody gets delusions of grandeur."

It seems that comedians have regained their time honored position as the "castle idiots", the only individuals allowed to tell the whole truth without repercussion. Quite a few people I know younger than 40 get a majority of their news from the "Comedy Central" cable TV channel, and who are they? Comedians.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

tjcurtin1,

You make some good points, but I grow tired of the obvious exaggerations made by both sides of the debate. Like politics, we never seem to get the whole story and end up listening to extremists that dilute the facts through exaggerations.

All I want is the truth now,
    Just give me some truth now. John Lennon
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I had the feeling that this guy on the video was trying pretty hard to avoid the various 'positions' and cut to the bare bones questions. You're right, Strum, it's easy for people with an agenda to blow smoke - but there has to be a basic, bottom line set of issues that we have to face and deal with - along with finding the will to deal with them and not give in to despair or cynicism. This is something that I have a problem with regarding our consumption of the stuff that pundits and comedians delivering as 'news' - the cynical attitude that none of it matters, or we're all friggin' idiots because we're human beings, or anyone who cares is a schmuck, because it is so uncool to care about anything. Most of what the popular culture/media has to offer is so shallow, least-common-denominator, and pitched by people/powers who don't want you to think for yourself, IMHO.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tjcurtin1, I agree with you. That Carlin stuff doesn't work for me. The future of our kids, grand kids, grand-grand kids, etc will be affected by what we do now/don't do now/will do. When people work together, change is possible. That cynical attitude some people like to display, "who cares, we're screwed anyway", certainly isn't something I agree with.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    When people work together, change is possible.
    That's the big challenge. This might turn out to be a good thing, because nothing brings people together better than having a common enemy and the common enemy is global destruction.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

So, you think the globe is actually going to destruct (be rendered into tiny pieces) due to global warming?
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    So, you think the globe is actually going to destruct (be rendered into tiny pieces) due to global warming?
    too simple. It will take much more than that, but it doesn't appear anything is being done to reverse it.

One very positive point made by Carlin - The Earth has power to heal and has taken on tremendous challenges. We need to stop producing so much destruction and allow it to do its job.

But then again we will probably blow each other up and Earth can live happily ever after.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did not post this to divide but to generate thought. The science teacher is making the point that it is good risk management to take measures to lessen our impact on the planet, and I was interested in his common ground approach. Lessening mankind's impact on the planet seems desirable even if the more dire predictions are not accurate. Less pollution and impact on the planet has other benefits as well. I hope this thread will generate some thought on lessening our personal impacts on this planet.

But, this is a guitar board, and this can be a touchy subject, and it might be the right thing to do to close this thread so that online arguments among friends do not occur. Causing an argument was certainly not my intent in posting. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, missed the argument, I'll have to go back and read it again. Why is it that this forum thinks every discussion that has opposing thoughts is an argument?

I thought it was one that brought out some decent discussion.

Yes it is a guitar forum, but it's also the open mic section and I think it is serving its purpose.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I sure don't see any arguing..just different views...

is it global warming..
    is it astroids..
    is it another ice age?

it's views..and what you think you as a human can do with them..

then theres.. welp, we just aint humane enough to make a difference unless we MAKE the whole world do it.. that just is not going to happen in OUR lifetime.. just my opinion. and not an argument..

it should be turned to Show us what YOU are doing to make a change..
    Not oh look.. but what YOU are actually doing.. to get a pat on the back.

Personally, I am doing nothing but taking my garbage to the dump.. put recycle stuff in the bin there.. and click off a light now and then.. thats all I am willing to do.. no more money from USA policy... just personal change...

Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of guitars - if we do suffer the consequences of global warming I'm sure the earth will survive but humans might not. Then there will be all these guitars and amphs left behind with nobody to play them. We need to keep our environment stable so that we might continue on. Just think how much that 1991 Mexican Strat is going to be worth in 60 years. You want to be around for that don't you?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast