Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Oh, man!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh, man!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh, man!!!

This thing is LOUD!!!! Holy ruptured eardrums, Batman! They aren't kidding when they say 30 tube watts is way louder than 30 SS watts! Yikes!!

Anyway, the Delta Blues amp arrived safely and works great. Tone seems very rich and clear, but I've only scratched the surface with it, so far. Lovin' that Tweed retro look! To borrow a phrase from Greg Koch, I'd say I definitley have a "tweed-skinned appliance of sonic reckoning" here! This is gonna be BIG FUN, I can tell! If I disappear from the forum for a couple of days, you guys'll know what I'm doin'....

Coupla pics:

Attachment 139 Attachment 140 Attachment 141

Even the cat is interested!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yowza!! Nice looking amph voodoo! Got me droolin'

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo - Man, that amp is clean! Minty mint! And what a killer deal, too! Have at it, my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. That Digitech RP-200A multi-effects pedal came, too, but I haven't had a chance to do much more than power it up to make sure it worked. Too busy makin' them 7 tubes glow in the Delta Blues!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

VooDoo - Enjoy the new treasure. We will see you next millennium.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    VooDoo - Enjoy the new treasure. We will see you next millennium.
    I concur,,good luck with it!

Zõ§õ

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Congrats Voodoo!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

You got a new amp? Thats killer. Nice knowing ya...come back when ya can. lol Seriously thats a sweet babe. Tell us how she's screaming.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    You got a new amp? Thats killer. Nice knowing ya...come back when ya can. lol Seriously thats a sweet babe. Tell us how she's screaming.
    YEah DVM,,cause I'm looking into getting one,,maybe.
    How is it at low volumes? And have you run the Digitech with it yet?

Thanks,
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo65
    YEah DVM,,cause I'm looking into getting one,,maybe.
    How is it at low volumes? And have you run the Digitech with it yet?

Thanks,
    Robert mentions a 5 watt Epi Valve Junior on his Dolphin Street website. I'd really need an amp like that that could go into poer amp distortion at lower volumes.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tot, Nelskie has written quite a bit about his Epi Valve Junior somehwere on this board. Great little amp.

Gotta say, with a great tube amp like that, don't use the Digitech RP stuff and ruin your tone man...

I've been interested in a Delta Blues for a long time, but never had a chance to try one.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Tot, Nelskie has written quite a bit about his Epi Valve Junior somehwere on this board. Great little amp.

Gotta say, with a great tube amp like that, don't use the Digitech RP stuff and ruin your tone man...

I've been interested in a Delta Blues for a long time, but never had a chance to try one.
    I'll search for that thread. Anything you want to add Nelsk?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know anything about the valve standard vs the valve junior?

Post Thanks / Like

The reviews that I read suggest that the valve junior head would be the way to go as they fixed the hum in the combo. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good (cheap) cab?

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, with a great tube amp like that, don't use the Digitech RP stuff and ruin your tone man....
    That's looking like pretty good advice from here. I've fooled around some with the RP-200A, and foresee it's use primarily as a recording tool. You can get some pretty amazing sounds & effects out of it, but it sucks the tube tone right down to the bottom of the glass! And you really can't do much with it "on the fly" as you play, because the settings all have to be programmed in. I'm sure some people love this kind of thing, but not my cup of tea. This puppy may be headed back up on eBay, so I can use the proceeds on some regular pedals....

I'm very, very impressed thusfar, Robert. Gobs of tone and unbelievable volume for only 30W. The volume knobs go up to 12 (so Nigel really could play at "11"!), and I've been using it at 2! Great clean sounds, but switch over to the Lead channel and you can roll on the overdrive nicely with the PRE knob, while still keeping the volume reasonable with the POST dial. Very cool....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a sweet amp...might have to check that one out....i plan on getting another tube amp (15 - 30 watts) this year.

can you post some clips....either mic'd or direct?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

tot - Here is the link to my Valve Jr. thread. It's a fairly comprehensive review, with a lot of information:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=74

Myself, I have not had the chance to play a Valve Standard or Valve Special, so I cannot compare them. My assumption is that they are pretty similar tone-wise, only that the two larger amps have built-in effects, and larger speakers. The largest amp (the Standard, I believe) is rated at 15W, the Special and the Jr. are 5W.

Another point: don't get too hung up on the "noise thing". I know a lot of reviews mention it, but it's really not that bad. Like I've mentioned in my thread, hum is a naturally-occurring by-product of that particular circuit design. As you move up the feeder chain price-wise, into the boutique neighborhood, some of these amps have employed some fixes to counteract the hum that is typical of Class "A" amps. Like a wise man once said, "If it don't hum, there ain't any magic in it." Personally, I think that little bit of hum is very charming.

I know that the *new* Valve Jr. heads are out, and at $99, they're a spanking good deal. However, that leaves you to find a cabinet, and digging into your wallet once again. At $120, the Valve Jr. combo sounds awesome right out of the box. With a few tweaks, like tubes & a different speaker, things really start to come alive. Plus, it has a speaker out jack in back, so if you did want to run it to an ext. cab, you could. Occasionally, I run my amp through my 112E ext. cab (which has a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang speaker), and that rig really pounds! You'd never believe it was only rated at 5W.

As for the combo vs. the head issue - hmmm . . . . I would have to say that it all depends on how you plan on using it. I record with my Epi, hum and all, and it sounds killer with everything I play through it. I've mic'ed it live, and used it by itself. The tone is always good. I'm sure the head would be no different tone-wise, and if they've addressed the hum issue, which again isn't a big thing in my book, it may just be the amp for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Gobs of tone and unbelievable volume for only 30W. Great clean sounds, but switch over to the Lead channel and you can roll on the overdrive nicely with the PRE knob, while still keeping the volume reasonable with the POST dial. Very cool....
    The Peavey Classic & Delta series tube amps won't be a "secret" much longer, I'm afraid. Like the Vox ADxxVT series amps, they offer huge tone for a very reasonable price. If you've got the "tube jones", and it cannot be quelled, you can find these amps in plentiful supply on Ebay, as well as at your local shop. The already killer tone in these amps can be further modified to your personal liking with a simple tube and / or speaker change out. And if you absolutely can't live without them, standard-type effects pedals also work well with these either of these rigs (digital modelers do, indeed, suck tone, and with these amps, that's definitely not what you want.)

I've had my Classic 30 for (11) years now, and have played through all kinds of vintage and re-issue gear. I've always been happy with the way the Classic 30 sounds, and even more so since I dropped in the new J & J tubes & Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Bottom line: these amps would still be worth it at double their cost.

My hat goes off to Peavey for a fine, American-made product that doesn't cost an arm & a leg to own. Fender USA, Gibson USA, are you guys listening?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    tot - Here is the link to my Valve Jr. thread. It's a fairly comprehensive review, with a lot of information:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=74

Myself, I have not had the chance to play a Valve Standard or Valve Special, so I cannot compare them. My assumption is that they are pretty similar tone-wise, only that the two larger amps have built-in effects, and larger speakers. The largest amp (the Standard, I believe) is rated at 15W, the Special and the Jr. are 5W.

Another point: don't get too hung up on the "noise thing". I know a lot of reviews mention it, but it's really not that bad. Like I've mentioned in my thread, hum is a naturally-occurring by-product of that particular circuit design. As you move up the feeder chain price-wise, into the boutique neighborhood, some of these amps have employed some fixes to counteract the hum that is typical of Class "A" amps. Like a wise man once said, "If it don't hum, there ain't any magic in it." Personally, I think that little bit of hum is very charming.

I know that the *new* Valve Jr. heads are out, and at $99, they're a spanking good deal. However, that leaves you to find a cabinet, and digging into your wallet once again. At $120, the Valve Jr. combo sounds awesome right out of the box. With a few tweaks, like tubes & a different speaker, things really start to come alive. Plus, it has a speaker out jack in back, so if you did want to run it to an ext. cab, you could. Occasionally, I run my amp through my 112E ext. cab (which has a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang speaker), and that rig really pounds! You'd never believe it was only rated at 5W.

As for the combo vs. the head issue - hmmm . . . . I would have to say that it all depends on how you plan on using it. I record with my Epi, hum and all, and it sounds killer with everything I play through it. I've mic'ed it live, and used it by itself. The tone is always good. I'm sure the head would be no different tone-wise, and if they've addressed the hum issue, which again isn't a big thing in my book, it may just be the amp for you.

Thanks for all the info Nelsk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast