Thread: ? on Amps with selectable power output..

Post Thanks / Like

Default ? on Amps with selectable power output..

I've seen a few tube amps on the market that state you can run the amp at full output in one mode, and at half output in another mode.

Has anyone tried one of these? and was the half output mode actually usefull?

Traynor is one company that markets this in the YCS 50 and 90. The 50 can operate at 15w, and the 90 at 20w's.

I'm curious if this makes it a feasible amp for home usage.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I've played the YCS 50 at a local music store on both settings. The lower setting does lower the volume somewhat, and changes the tone as well. I think it would tame it enough to used at home, but it can still get loud at 15w. I use the YCV 40 WR Anniversary at home, I just turn it down. I thought the lower output mode would be more useful in getting the amp to break up earlier, rather than lower the volume appreciably........
    "Home usage" is a dodgy term...... if a 5w like the Epi Valve Jr is cranked full up it's pretty loud even at home.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Glenn.

What was your take on the 50 you tried out? I've heard your WR40 and think it sounds great! I went over to my local shop Saturday afternoon, but do you think I stood a chance at getting into the amp room with all the young guns trying out guitars?... Not Likely!

There's one clip currently on YouTube which sounds really good. A young fellow runs through some of the amps sounds at the 15w level... pretty nice.

The 50 to me looks like a fairly decent combo with a lot of versatility.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

15w is still pretty loud. Half power switches always change the tone as well as they switch the power tubes from full pentode operation to triode operation (usually). A friend had a Marshall 25/50, basically the Jubilee without the 25th anniversary livery. It sounded awful on half power, I told him he should have bought the Studio 15 but did he listen?
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

My Marshall Silver Jubilee is the 25/50 configuration and it sounds damn good in "low" power mode. The output volume is reduced somewhat but it's still freakin' loud when you expect it to be. What it does is tame some of the really high frequencies that are usually present in most Marshalls and it sorta browns the sound and makes it warmer...softer. Since I play semi clean to dirty these days I prefer that mode. If I want more raunch with a Les Paul (humbuckers) I might switch it back up to hi power but even at low power my LP is still very raunchy but in a very smooth way. I like how the speakers pump in low power mode. A very brown sound for sure.

Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome clips Rob. I guess that you dont really need to use the 50w mode very often? The 25w sounds sooo sweet!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Awesome clips Rob. I guess that you dont really need to use the 50w mode very often? The 25w sounds sooo sweet!
    Tone... that is one serious amp you've got there! It looks and sounds fantastic at the 25w level. :
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you guys. I totally love this amp. It's huge sounding for being an open backed 2x12 combo. It's pretty much set to the 25 watt setting all the time I seldom if ever switch it just cause it's got "that sound" you know what I mean? I should do another clip with the Les Paul in the dirty channel because it's got that perfect high gain George Lynch tone and saturation just as a comparison between these 2 clips. I can switch from the Fenders to the Gibson and the only knob I touch is the channel switch. All the amp tone settings stay the same for all the guitars and my preamp gain knob is set at 7. I can go from clean to dirty to all out high gain with the push or pull of a knob...and all in the 25 watt mode.

I haven't tried other amps with this feature so I can't comment about them but I do know that lower wattage amps seem to sound pretty damn good...even for home use (to answer your original question) so I can't see how having an amp that does this would be a bad thing. It's a good feature to have.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

It must be my memory playing tricks, his was the 1x12 model. I once tried a 2x12 and almost bought it on the spot but the shop owner decided to keep it for himself.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Thanks you guys. I totally love this amp. It's huge sounding for being an open backed 2x12 combo. It's pretty much set to the 25 watt setting all the time I seldom if ever switch it just cause it's got "that sound" you know what I mean? I should do another clip with the Les Paul in the dirty channel because it's got that perfect high gain George Lynch tone and saturation just as a comparison between these 2 clips. I can switch from the Fenders to the Gibson and the only knob I touch is the channel switch. All the amp tone settings stay the same for all the guitars and my preamp gain knob is set at 7. I can go from clean to dirty to all out high gain with the push or pull of a knob...and all in the 25 watt mode.

I haven't tried other amps with this feature so I can't comment about them but I do know that lower wattage amps seem to sound pretty damn good...even for home use (to answer your original question) so I can't see how having an amp that does this would be a bad thing. It's a good feature to have.
    Yeah we gotta have more clips.. I really want to hear the Tele through the dirty channel! (and the les paul, and the 50´s strat, and the 60´s strat.. )
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Tone2TheBone

M29

Post Thanks / Like

This is a GREAT feature.
    My Quiana has what Rivera calls a "Modern/Vintage" switch.
    Modern is the full 50w, brighter with the most headroom, emphasizing one set of harmonics.
    Vintage emphasizes other harmonics, and takes it down to about 25w. I prefer playing the amp in this mode because it is smooth, rich and creamy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Thanks Glenn.

What was your take on the 50 you tried out?
    I liked it.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal