Post Thanks / Like

Default tips for recording

hi folks,

kk wanting to dive into recording guitar onto pc

im using a creative fatal1ty sound card with front io drive
    software wise i got a copy of cubase guitar tracks pro v3

now recording method im not sure on
    should i run output from my boss gt8 to aux 2 on my sound card
    or should i run a condensor mic from mic socket and live record the guitar from the amp ?

any advice greatly appreciated

Graham
    Guitar Patrick Eggle Berlin USA Celebration model
    ltd edition, Fender Deluxe mexican telecaster Nashville

Amp peavey classic 30 thorugh a marshall 2 x 10 cab, Peavey Bandit 100watt tranny amp

effects boss gt8 , jd cry baby wah, ts9 tubescreamer

gear wants : a 56 telecaster butterscotch

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. If you want to work with modeling software to get your sound plug directly in. If you're wanting to get the natural sound of your amplifier then mic! It's just personal preference really.......for what it's worth however, you'll find most guys wanting to mic their cab.....

FS
    http://www.myspace.com/secondchanceateden
    Blues/Rock/Funk

Founding member of the Cobra Kai Decibel Dojo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Strings
    It all depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. If you want to work with modeling software to get your sound plug directly in. If you're wanting to get the natural sound of your amplifier then mic! It's just personal preference really.......for what it's worth however, you'll find most guys wanting to mic their cab.....

FS
    I do both and have fun with both, but I really like to mic my cab so I can tell what I would get playing out, not in my computer. I am not sure how good your mic input is. i ended up getting a USB interface (through my Toneport) and use it with a Shure SM57 mic. I am playing around with the direct recording from the toneport and computer now to see how I like those tones too. Just play around with it and see what happens. It is what most of us did! :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson