Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Well, on to the next project! This is a cool one. Mentioned HERE back in Sept. by then-new-member Tunghaichuan, I was immediately smitten with the idea of building it. All the info you need is available on John Calhoun's website, where you can also purchase the PCB for the amp build for a very reasonable $19. If you want to hear what this little sucker is capable of, check out THIS CLIP. Sounds like a mini-Marshall stack, no lie!

Between some spare components that Tung was generous enough to send me at no charge, and the rest of the parts order from the sources given in Calhoun's amazingly complete instructions, I've started construction, and finished the PCB fab tonight. Below are some pics, tubes & all. It uses two 12AX7's for the main preamp and a switchable boost stage, and the power tube is a 12AU7!! Now comes the hard part--drilling the chassis and putting all the hardware together. I'll post back here as I make further progress.

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That sound clip is Killer DVM!

Good luck with the rest of the build... Would absolutely love to hear the completed project! :

Way Cool!
    Last edited by Algonquin; January 30th, 2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks cool! Imagine that thingy on top of a 4x12... what a sight, hehe...

At least you won't need rubber feet for it!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Or wheels. Heard that little sucker today and yeah it rocks heavy. I think I want one.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What was that clip played through? Wow!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    What was that clip played through? Wow!
    A closed back 1x12 cabinet with a Celestion G12H30. Sounds bigger, doesn't it? :

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Emminently cool Vood.

Was that your Goldtop straight in?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Was that your Goldtop straight in?
    Oh, sorry if I was misleading! No, the clip isn't me (I wish!!), it's a clip posted on the Firefly project page at AX84.com. Doesn't say who the player or the guitar is, though it certainly sounds like an LP or similar humbucker guitar.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Oh, sorry if I was misleading! No, the clip isn't me (I wish!!), it's a clip posted on the Firefly project page at AX84.com. Doesn't say who the player or the guitar is, though it certainly sounds like an LP or similar humbucker guitar.
    My bad. I do see now that you haven't built the dang thing yet!:!

That would'a be some trick, playing through a pile of tubes & bits n' bobs!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    My bad. I do see now that you haven't built the dang thing yet!:!

That would'a be some trick, playing through a pile of tubes & bits n' bobs!
    Yeah, they're kinda quiet without power and output transformers wired in!

BTW, some more excellent clips can be found at the following link. Scroll way down the page to the "Amps" section of clips, and you'll see the Firefly listed there. There's a nice set of 3 clips that demo the clean, mid-gain and hi-gain sounds. Humbucker guitar, but it doesn't say what the cab was. There's also a clip by Doug Hammond (more on him below). Here's the link:

A bit more "credit where credit is due":

The Firefly is the brainchild of Doug Hammond, a familiar name among DIY amp builders. It's one of several amp projects listed at the AX84.com website, a very cool DIY amp building site run by Chris Hurley, the proprietor of Doberman Music Products. There are some nice bigger DIY tube amp projects there, too, if you're looking to build something with more muscle. What John Calhoun did was to take the project and design a very nice PCB to build it on, and then put together a really outstanding set of instructions, complete with a full bill of materials, sourcing/part # info (this saves hours!), chassis templates, and more. A big tip o' the hat to Doug, Chris & John! : :

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, what cab would you pick to run with it? Would one of those sale ones from a few months back do a good job?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I expect I'll use it extensively with both the 1x12 I assembled myself and the 2x12 Drive cab I bought during that insane Music123 close-out sale. A 4x12 would probably sound great, but it's getting a bit ridiculous to be playing a 1.5W through a cab that size! Not that it would stop Tone....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna see what that circuit would like like in one of M29's amp head creations!

ps - you're right Bob nothing stops me moo ah ah ah
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!

That sounds great!!! :
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

Not to thread hijack but after having god awful (still have) internet problems lately(upgrading system ) I got to post fast no time for a big thread. You have given me the bug to do my own SKYDOG project.I think im going with package 2 all the parts just assemble.Im going to do a special cab Vood if I dont hear from ya or vice versa we are still on with book and pedal

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubP...50BassKits.htm

Post Thanks / Like

WOO WOO WOO!!!! Finished the Firefly build and fired it up Saturday evening--worked the first time!! : The chassis hasn't been painted yet, but it looks pretty cool just the same. Here are some pics, below. Haven't had much chance to play through it yet (out last night at a school function and at church this morning, and now my daughter's asleep on the family room couch!), but the little sucker screams, especially with the boost enabled (insert evil grin/maniacal laughter here).

Looking across the front panel from left to right, it's the input jack, boost switch, boost gain, main gain, standby switch, power switch and power indicator light.The power transformer is the larger black one on the right, and the output tranformer is to its left. The tubes (l to r) are boost (12AX7), main preamp (12AX7), and power stage (12AU7).

Will post a clip or two when I have a chance....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728

Yeah, all of those, plus pancakes! I kinda like it all industrial and stainless looking. Kinda gives it a 50's tone scientist vibe!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

ooohhhhh! (and everything warren said)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast