Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after spending a bit more time with this little dynamo, I must admit I'm pretty impressed. It can generate an unbelievable amount of volume considering it's power rating (I suspect that 1.5W is very conservative), and when you crank the boost gain, it has plenty of raunch on tap. And I haven't even really "opened it up" yet, because I haven't had the house to myself since I built it. But I will on Wed. night, and I'll try to record a demo clip then, too.

The only thing I don't particularly like is that it's a little dark sounding, at least at low volumes. The good news is that John Calhoun included an optional "brightness" capacitor spot on his PCB design, so I'm going to get two different value silver-mica caps and wire them to the board via an on-off-on DPDT switch. That'll give me three settings: normal, bright and brighter. That should cover it....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Vood, that looks fantastic! You do nice work.
    Thanks for the pics and updates, you are 'da MAN!!!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Why didn't GOD give the talent to assemble small amps and pedals on my own?

This amp looks gergeous and the sound in the clip is killer. I can only look up to people like you - respect!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I can only look up to people like you - respect!
    Funny, that's how I feel about you when I hear your guitar playing! Thanks for your generous comments, Jimi. Really--the building is easier than the playing!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I waited a bit to make sure that you really have built it now .

Looks beautiful as usual Vood!

Technically speaking, what makes the amp dark. Could you go into a little more detail about how a bright switch works?

You duh_man voodoo!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Technically speaking, what makes the amp dark. Could you go into a little more detail about how a bright switch works?
    As I understand these things, and amp will sound dark if the circuit is laid out such that a large portion of the high frequencies are lost/bled off to ground during the course of amplifying the signal. This tends to be most pronounced at low volumes. Some amps are intrinsically dark sounding, while others are bright, or somewhere in between. Dark sounding amps are often modified in some way to give them more top end, with the addition of the famous "Top Boost" stage to the Vox AC30 being a well-known example. (Interestingly, that circuit was copied directly from an old 50's Gibson amp, right down to an error in the bass pot design!)

However, this can be done in other ways, notably by adding judiciously chosen capacitors to locations in the circuit where they can act as a bypass around points where high frequencies would otherwise be bled off. This works because of the the fact that the impedance of a capacitor varies inversely with frequency, so that at very high frequencies, a capacitor becomes a short circuit, and at very low frequencies, an open circuit. Now, exactly how you decide what capacitance rating to use in what circuit is still a mystery to me, but John Calhoun suggests something in the 200 - 450 picofarad range for the optional brightness cap in the Firefly. So I've ordered several silver mica caps in that capacitance ballpark and will see which I like the sound of best.

Clear as mud?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Funny, that's how I feel about you when I hear your guitar playing! Thanks for your generous comments, Jimi. Really--the building is easier than the playing!
    Thank you :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Holy Moley Voo that's the coolest thing I've ever seen! Let us know how the cap mods do.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Very nicely done. It must be cool to play through an amp you build yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    As I understand these things, and amp will sound dark if the circuit is laid out such that a large portion of the high frequencies are lost/bled off to ground during the course of amplifying the signal. This tends to be most pronounced at low volumes. Some amps are intrinsically dark sounding, while others are bright, or somewhere in between. Dark sounding amps are often modified in some way to give them more top end, with the addition of the famous "Top Boost" stage to the Vox AC30 being a well-known example. (Interestingly, that circuit was copied directly from an old 50's Gibson amp, right down to an error in the bass pot design!)

However, this can be done in other ways, notably by adding judiciously chosen capacitors to locations in the circuit where they can act as a bypass around points where high frequencies would otherwise be bled off. This works because of the the fact that the impedance of a capacitor varies inversely with frequency, so that at very high frequencies, a capacitor becomes a short circuit, and at very low frequencies, an open circuit. Now, exactly how you decide what capacitance rating to use in what circuit is still a mystery to me, but John Calhoun suggests something in the 200 - 450 picofarad range for the optional brightness cap in the Firefly. So I've ordered several silver mica caps in that capacitance ballpark and will see which I like the sound of best.

Clear as mud?
    I think you need to mod the above with a clarity boost

Thanks Vood, that did help some.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I think you need to mod the above with a clarity boost....
    Got a schematic? I could use one of those!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clip!!

OK, here's a little sample of what the Firefly can do. I came across a posting at the AX84.com Firefly forum that said if you swap a 12AT7 for the 12AU7 power tube, it drops the max. power output but brings on an earlier breakup with a huge bottom end. Since I'm not using close to the max. output of this little monster, that sounded like a pretty good tradeoff to me. So I tried it through my 1x12 cab using my LP Std. and--WHAM--instant mini-Marshall stack sounds! Couldn't think of anything better to ram through it than some vintage Zep. Now, I'll never be confused for Jimmy Page, but playing aside, this sounded pretty good to me. Mind you, this is with NO effects other than a bit of plate reverb from my DigiVerb pedal. All the crunch comes purely from the amp. Here's the link:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

SWEET!

I have GOT to build me one of these!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Crunchy Vood !, nice playing !

Post Thanks / Like

oh yea I like that mini marshall!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet is right Vood!!!!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a truly sweet sounding amp!
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wowza!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Two additional notes:

• Though the Firefly is really about tube distortion, it's not purely a one-trick pony. Nobody's ever gonna confuse it with a Fender Twin, but if I put the 12AU7 tube back in and run just on the main preamp with the boost stage off, it will do a pretty nice clean tone, too. I'll record another clip with my Strat when I have some time, showing the cleaner side of the amp.

• If you liked the sound of that 1x12 cab, it's got one of those $45 Warehouse Guitar Speakers "Veteran 30" models in it, a Celestion Vintage 30 clone. Unbelievable value at that price, IMO.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast