Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadman
    I made a spreadsheet for the parts and realized it's going to be $170 just for the electronics. Add a chassis, case, speaker & misc. and we're talking $250-$300 for a 1.5 watt amp - unassembled. Too much for me.

If anyone wants the spreadsheet email me (I can't attach an .xlr file here, can I?). Copying and pasting makes ordering parts easier.
    Yeah, buying individual parts "a la carte" is rather expensive, but a big part of a project like this is the enjoyment of building it and the satisfaction in having YOUR own amp, when it's done. Not to mention the little sucker sounds great and is very flexible, with all the tube types you can swap in and out. And let me tell you--1.5W or not, this puppy can still be deafeningly loud in a small room! I typically play it with the boost gain at 50% and the main preamp gain at about 15%! Going up to 20% gets me yelled at!

BTW, I have the bill of materials/source/part # info all spreadsheeted, too. If anybody wants it, just shoot me a PM. IMO, this is the ONLY way to go for orders of more than a few items at Mouser.com. They have a BOM import function that lets you just copy part #'s and quantities into their form, and it fills out the entire order for you. Huge time-saver.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya about the enjoyment and satisfaction part for sure and I know tube watts are big. I think I developed a "less than a hundred" mentality early on.

Who knows, I could revisit the idea again.

Any idea what kind of quantities one must meet to make a substantial dent in the cost? Has this been discussed at any point as a forum project?
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Any idea what kind of quantities one must meet to make a substantial dent in the cost? Has this been discussed at any point as a forum project?
    I can hear the gears grinding in that head of yours all the way here in Ohio
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

LOL

My gears never grind - they always mesh smoothly.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

One way someone might think about in the saving part is look at different lower cost transformers a couple you might check are

http://www.edcorusa.com/products/tra...gle_ended.html
    and
    http://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/
    MPS is out of his se output transformers but is soon to have more and a couple more choices

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DVM, I ordered everything for the amph build this morning. A few parts are on back order, which is actually ok because I also ordered the Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers, and I'd like to build the cab before I build the amph so I have something to test it on.

I'm looking forward to many hours of playing around with this project, and I'll do my best to post lots of pics.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Hey DVM, I ordered everything for the amph build this morning. A few parts are on back order, which is actually ok because I also ordered the Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers, and I'd like to build the cab before I build the amph so I have something to test it on.

I'm looking forward to many hours of playing around with this project, and I'll do my best to post lots of pics.
    You are going to have to supply us with a pictorial of the process.

1) Because it will be entertaining and informative

2) It didn't happen, if you don't have pics.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner

Excellent!!!

How experienced are you with soldering etc?

This is one amph which you'll be able to lift no matter how bad your back gets Shiner.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

You know there will be lots of pics Strum.

Tot, in my younger days I had an amateur radio license and did a lot of soldering. The last major soldering job was when I rebuilt this beast about 4-5 years ago:

She had a buttload of broken solders that I had to repair to get her working. However, that has been awhile back. I need to take a picture of the circuit board for the computer guys on the Fret. They'll laugh their tails off. It's like, 2' x 3'.

This is my soldering iron:

It hasn't been used in awhile so I'll have to clean the tip and re-tin it. But I think as long as I take my time I should be able to handle it. My biggest concern is that the soldering iron might be too powerful for this task. Do y'all think I should get something with lower wattage or will this work?
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

WHOA!! You really don't want to use that beast on the little Firefly PCB. W-a-a-a-y too much power. That's a soldering gun, not an iron. Get yourself a little Weller 25W job, or similar.

BTW, let me know what's backordered, and I may be able to point you to alternative sources or part #'s....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DVM, I was afraid that was the case. But any excuse to buy a new tool is a good one.

If I haven't received the back-ordered parts by the time I finish the cab and the rest of the build on Firefly, I'll pm you.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice beast!!!

I remember watching Soylent Green as a kid & whoever was the hero (Charleston Heston?) was wealthy & had a Pong game in his *HOUSE*!!!!

I thought

"Man, that's rich!"

It still brings me smiles to think about how far video games have come since those days.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently broke down and bought a "cold heat" soldering iron and much to my surprise it works very well. It's cordless (battery powered), , heats instantly, solders well and gets cool enough to touch in just a second or two. Here's the one I got:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200324393.htm

I can also personally recommend Northern Tool. I've done a ton of business with them and it's always been great.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200324393.htm

I can also personally recommend Northern Tool. I've done a ton of business with them and it's always been great.
    +1 I started using them on a few items after Dreadman recommended them to me and I have been 100% satisfied.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe ill venture down the cold road again.I bought one of those cheapy tv specials and it stopped working its first guitar build

Chalked it up as gimmicky,Dread how is the one you got!:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty good tool. Not for big stuff at all but very good on circuit boards and the like. Good quality and seems like it will last. I haven't tried to solder to the back of a pot yet and I don't know if it's got the power for that but for only $30 it's good to have around.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a quick test and it will solder a jack terminal very easily but not quite enough power for tha back of a pot. Interestingly, I left it on the pot for about thirty seconds to see if would even come close and after that test the tip stayed very hot afterward for over thirty more seconds.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Well, on to the next project! This is a cool one. Mentioned HERE back in Sept. by then-new-member Tunghaichuan, I was immediately smitten with the idea of building it. All the info you need is available on John Calhoun's website, where you can also purchase the PCB for the amp build for a very reasonable $19. If you want to hear what this little sucker is capable of, check out THIS CLIP. Sounds like a mini-Marshall stack, no lie!
    Sounds really great Warm tone and nice crunch
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I got my first shipment from Mouser today, and I'm just like a kid at candy store. It's going to take me awhile to put this project together, but I'm looking forward to every minute of it. Now tell me, how cool is this!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast