Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Very nice Shiner......what are you going to use to label the control panel?
    I'll either be using those "rub on" letters or a fire extinguisher.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Is that what y'all call decals, down in Waco?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Finished wiring up the Firefly last night.

In the process I realized I made a mistake. The screw terminals for connecting the wires to the pcb were supposed to be soldered on the bottom of the pcb so they could be accessed after it was installed in the chassis. I soldered them on the top. No big deal, it just meant I had to connect all the wires before installing the pcb in the chassis.

So last night, about 9:00 pm, I plugged her in, and flipped the switch. No bang, no smoke, no explosion . . . no hum, no sound, no screaming solos, no nothin'.:

So I wisely decided to call it a night and take a look at her today with a fresh set of eyes. Turns out the problem wasn't with the amp, I had wired the input jack to the speaker wrong. Ok, good, simple fix. Wired everything correctly, flipped her on, and WOW!

The first thing I have to say is this little sucker is LOUD! I only had it turned up about a quarter of the way and windows were rattling. CB came running in the room because she thought a plane had just crashed in our house. I haven't played around with it enough yet to see what she can really do, but Shiner is one happy man.

So if you'll excuse me, I'm going to crack a beer, borrow CB's Strat, and go crank out a few screaming solos on my new toy!
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, Shiner! You're gonna have to nickname the Firefly something like "The Red Beast," or something similar.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say that I consider it a treat when I get another installment on this project. One of those everyman things done by one of our own. Causes me to think that I could do something close???

Now that you have finished the build and have a speaker cabinet waiting, it seems like a good time to hear what is going on down there??

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Sweet, Shiner! You're gonna have to nickname the Firefly something like "The Red Beast," or something similar.
    "Shiner's Red Beast" . . . I kinda like that Kat.

Sorry Steve, still can't post clips yet, but give me a little time.

And I'm still saying, if this thing is only 1.5 watts, I'll quit drinking. CB's already getting very nervous about the neighbors calling the cops. I'm going to try one of the acoustics through it in a little bit and see what I get.

Post Thanks / Like

Call it

The Shining

All acoustic & no amph makes Jack a dull boy.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

wouldnt 2 x 12AX7s and a 12AU7 give out a higher wattage than 1.5 watts? this has more valves in it than my 5 watt.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    wouldnt 2 x 12AX7s and a 12AU7 give out a higher wattage than 1.5 watts? this has more valves in it than my 5 watt.
    Not necessarily. The power tube in the Firefly is a 12AU7, which is really more of a preamp tube. It is a dual triode like the 12AX7. The 12AU7 just happens to have some characteristics to allow it to be used as a power tube in this application. It only puts out 1.5 wattts in the circuit due to its characteristics.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Not necessarily. The power tube in the Firefly is a 12AU7, which is really more of a preamp tube. It is a dual triode like the 12AX7. The 12AU7 just happens to have some characteristics to allow it to be used as a power tube in this application. It only puts out 1.5 wattts in the circuit due to its characteristics.

tung
    well using a preamp tube as a power tube wouldnt have come to me...but i guess its an idea that works:
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

Mesa Boogie Express 112 5:25 Tone demo Mic: http://play.kendincos.com/174562/Wrv...-demo-mic.html

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, there are quite a few members on this thread that don't post much anymore... since it was started four years ago. Stingx, wanna take bets that "heatherd66" is never heard from again?

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this ANCIENT thread, since I finally got a proper cabinet to install this nifty little amp head into! Since I am totally lacking in woodworking skills, the "nekkid" chassis had been sitting in my man-cave for the past SIX YEARS getting minimal use, 'cuz you have to be VERY careful handling exposed high-voltage electronics! Somewhat serendipitously, I discovered that one of my fellow moderators at the BYOC forums makes a mean head cab! And when I asked him about getting one made, he said he had one he'd just finished for a Champ build that had the exact same chassis dimensions! And he was nice enough to sell it to me, instead! Check out the head mounted in this beautifully made little cabinet in the pics below. I still need to paint & decal the front & back panels, but at least the amp is fully usable now:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks sharp, DVM!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

love it !

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, looks like an old Traynor or Garnet!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

that looks supremely vintage... good things come to those who wait?.

Post Thanks / Like

Great little amp for recording !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast