Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Thread: Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Me too, I get lost all the time when driving.
    Me too! I really need (ok want) a GPS.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

DVM, I've been giving some serious thought to trying my hand at this little project. I've downloaded the guide and reviewed it. My biggest concern as far as tackling the project is with cutting out the chassis. I think I can get the round holes ok, but I have concerns about the hole for the IEC outlet. Could you explain how you tackled that one?

Also, did you make the chassis yourself or use something commercially available? Thanks for the input.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Hammond 1444-16 aluminum chassis that I ordered from Mouser.com. John Calhoun includes a template for this chassis (10"x6"x2") in his instructions.

Re: the holes, I handled eveything on the chassis with a regular drill set, except for the tube holes (got some panel punches from our shop here at work for those; worked great) and the IEC connector, which one of our shop techs cut out for me with a jigsaw.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Re: the holes, I handled eveything on the chassis with a regular drill set, except for the tube holes (got some panel punches from our shop here at work for those; worked great) and the IEC connector, which one of our shop techs cut out for me with a jigsaw.
    I have a set of Irwin Unibit stepped drill bits. Home Depot and Lowe's sell a set that includes a #1, two #3s and a #4. The #1 goes up to 1/2", the #3s go up to 3/4" and the #4 goes up to 7/8". This will cover most of your drilling needs. I like the Unibit brand as they drill nice round holes. Some of the cheaper knock-offs don't do such a good job. The Vermont American bit I have, for example, drills triangular holes when using a hand drill.

I was thinking of having a machinist make me a template out of 1/2" aluminum plate for cutting IEC connector holes. The Greenlee punch is about $250 Yikes! I've had good luck with using a template with a laminate trimmer and a flush cutting bit with a roller bearing. Cuts through aluminum like butter. The downside: you have to clamp the open end of the chassis down as the bit throws little aluminum chips all over the place. Also, you can't cut ferrous materials with the bit/template.

I've used this method to cut 1 & 3/8" holes in aluminum chassis. I bored a 1 & 3/8" hole in a 1/2" thick piece of MDF and use that as a guide with my laminate trimmer and flush cutting bit. I'm too cheap to pony up the cash for yet another Greenlee punch (I already own 5).

tung