Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefly 1.5W Tube Amp Build

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

did you get a 20w soldering iron to replace that branding iron you have now?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet, but it's on the list. Along with the Irwin Unibit stepped drill bits that Tung recommended. But I'm planning on picking those up locally.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Not yet, but it's on the list. Along with the Irwin Unibit stepped drill bits that Tung recommended. But I'm planning on picking those up locally.
    boy, I would use this opportunity to put a list of "Tools I need for this project" that is a little longer than that. Don't you need a radial arm saw, table jointer, router, Craftsman 250 pc socket set, Fender Strat and Marshall amp? I don't see you finishing this project without these essentials.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    boy, I would use this opportunity to put a list of "Tools I need for this project" that is a little longer than that. Don't you need a radial arm saw, table jointer, router, Craftsman 250 pc socket set, Fender Strat and Marshall amp? I don't see you finishing this project without these essentials.
    Hmmm, good point Strummy. HEY, isnt' Father's day, or . . . um Easter or . . . something coming up??? I gotta get Baby Girl posting over here so she can get present ideas.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Now tell me, how cool is this!

Certainly a familiar sight at my house, Shiner! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Get those damn parts off the pool table Shiner....you are committing sacrilege lmao.

Love the asteroids game...I am looking for a pacman or mrs pacman game or asteroids game for our basement game room....and a full sized air hockey table to go along with the pool table we already have down there.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Shiner ! looking forward to reading/seeing the progress !

Post Thanks / Like

I Now tell me, how cool is this!
    Answer: d@mned cool indeed! :
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Get those damn parts off the pool table Shiner....you are committing sacrilege lmao.
    That's the Sunday-company fancy eatin' table... just drop yer chicken bones in the holes.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a brief resurrection of this old thread just to underscore again what a cool little amp--and DIY project--the Firefly is....

I just finished a small modification to the amp, adding a rotary switch to the rear of the chassis that lets me easily change the rating of the power tube cathode resistor to one of four discrete values. I've acquired four different pin-compatible tube types that can be used for the power tube in the Firefly, and this allows me to dial in the right bias on each to get them up in the range of 85 - 100% of their rated dissipation values, where they sound their best. The four tube types are the 12AU7 (the "stock" Firefly power tube), 12AT7, 6BH7 and ECC99, and their dissipation ratings vary from 2.5 to 5.0W. The four cathode resistors wired to the switch vary between 220 and 510 ohm, a pretty wide range. Sunday night, I wired up the switch, and last night I ran all four tube types in the amp and checked the actual dissipation values vs. what I'd expected to see (they were all very close).

Naturally, I didn't just conduct my testing with a DMM--I also played a few licks with my LP Std. through each type to see how they sounded. In a word, GREAT! Though it will do a cleaner tone, this little bugger's forte is crunch--that vintage Marshall stack kind of tone from a tiny little package. I dial the Boost stage gain up around 80% and then use the main Preamp control to set the overall volume. The thing just nails that early Zeppelin-AC/DC-Who tone. Lawdy mama--have mercy!!

So I just wanted to encourage you do-it-yourselfers with a bit of prior electronics experience to give this amp project a shot. While I wouldn't recommend it for a rank beginner, you don't need a lot of experience to tackle this one, especially if you use John Calhoun's super PCB and outstanding build documentation. It won't break the bank, either--you can get all the parts you'll need for under $200. So far, the only Fretter I've seen who seems to be serious about building one of these little monsters is Luvmyshiner--and don't be too surprised if he changes his ID to "Luvmyfirefly" after he does!

As always, let me interject the required safety warning here: Working inside a tube amplifier exposes you to potentially LETHAL levels of DC voltage, so follow all recommended safety practices and BE CAREFUL. If you don't know what these are, you're better off not attempting such a project.

But if you understand how to work safely with high voltages and you love that Marshall crunch, by all means give this one a try. I promise you--you won't be disappointed!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here's what I got done today. All the soldering is done. Tomorrow I get to start cutting out the box. I've really learned a lot. The first dozen or so solders were pretty rough. But then I got the hang of things. I'll keep y'all updated.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have done a nice job putting that amp together Shiner.
    Looks Great to me!:

Guitars: 99 Gibson ES-335,1985 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue,Schecter C1 Artist,Squire 51,Peavey Generation Triple/single EX,Fender Deluxe Fat Strat, Cortez Acoustic,Epiphone Acoustic.

Effects: Arion SCH-1 Chorus,Boss BD2,Bad Monkey,Boss DD3 Delay,Boss GE-7 EQ ,Arion SOD-1 overdrive,TC Electronic Nova Repeater Delay,Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 Delay/Echo.

Amps: B52 AT-212 100watt all Tube ,FMJ SS(being restored),1=Epiphone Valve Junior Head and 2 matching Cabs, Hughes& Kettner Edition Blue 15DFX, Crate V18 112,Fender Super Champ XD,Fender 25R Frontman Series II.

Post Thanks / Like

looking great shiner!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Shiner that deserves a beer or two! Great job!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Ah come on now Shine.....you can't be excellent at everything you do....your wood working skills most around here would take out a hit contract for.

Soldering is a developed skill and one that the term if you don't use it, you'll lose it is very true....I have tried a few small soldering projects in the last few weeks and lets just say it was not like riding a bike....it took some trial and error.....tinning wires is one thing, but not producing a cold solder joint is another.....it's not for the weak of stomach LOL.

Turn that board over and let's see your joints. Knowing you for the last 2 years or so, I will be they are far above average :-)

I will be following this with great anticipation, as when Shiner does something he goes all the way, and I love that about him.

I am really digging the idea of a diy Marshall tone, just wish I had an extra 200 to spend.....but then again if I did...I would probably have an Epiphone Valve Jr that has been heavily modded from a local member sitting next to me already :-)

I do have a project in the works tho.....I got a Vox Wah from another forum member that I plan on modding a little after I record some baseline stuff with it.

Probably looking to add a Fasel inductor and something to clean it up a bit in the hotzone. The one thing I can say...if you think your electric lead tone is missing something and you are not quite sure what it is, get a Vox Wah....click in on and nail the pedal down......it is pure hair metal a great lead boost.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't you just the cutest little amp? Yes, you are! Yes, you are!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' aces so far there, Shiner! :

BTW, where'd you get the tubes and what kind?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work man!!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Aren't you just the cutest little amp? Yes, you are! Yes, you are!
    Hmmm, the latest batch of brew must be ready.
    Mark

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast