Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Clapton Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Clapton Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Clapton Thread

After a bit of enjoyable Clapton-related discussion with the Voodooman this afternoon, I thought it was about time our guitar forum had a thread somewhere that paid tribute to a man who not only is a legendary player in his own right, but whose body of work is basically a resume' of some of rock music's most assertive & esteemed accomplishments. As a matter of fact, it is my firm belief that it's only a matter of time before Webster's puts a short footnote under the definition of guitar: *see also - Eric Clapton.

Oh yes, there are many colossal figures in the world of guitar, some of whom are every bit as deserving when considering their accomplishments. However, one would be hard-pressed to find a guitarist with as diverse a style, or one who has been part of as much of rock history as Clapton has.

My recent foray into the world of Clapton has uncovered many jewels. Being an avid fan of the blues, it is hard to overlook some of EC's landmark work in the early to mid 60's. As the lead guitarist for the Yardbirds, Eric set the UK on its ear with his scorching blues style. Shortly thereafter, he parlayed his phenomenal style into England's premier blues group, The Bluesbreakers, who were fronted by the multi-talented John Mayall. Although Eric's stint with the band was brief, the material that evolved from that union shook the very foundations of the rock music. The songs. The tone. The feel. All unmistakably driven by the genius of Clapton's guitar mastery. But there were more lands to be conquered.

After his departure from The Bluesbreakers, Clapton, along with drummer Ginger Baker, and bassist Jack Bruce, formed Cream, and once again set the rock world on fire with their unique blues-meets-psychedelia style. Clapton's Cream-era tone would eventually evolve into the modern rock style, its roots noticeably evident in the music of bands such as Led Zeppelin, Free, and the Allman Brothers to name a few.

Although the aforementioned is but a blip in a monumentally successful career, I didn't want to have this thread start out, or continue as a Clapton biography. If you're interested in that, Wikipedia has the perscribed vital stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Cl...ie_and_Friends

Although the waters of the Nelskie guitar style run very deeply along the ZZ Top & Led Zeppelin tributaries, I cannot deny that my recent "re-discovery" of Eric Clapton has led me to some very fertile lands as far as playing goes. And perhaps that's what I have found to be so interesting during this particular "go-round". What I mean is that each of us, as guitarists, may be only too familiar with the music from some of our favorite artists and players. Often times, if we dig deeper, we can find new treasures - maybe even ones that we didn't even think existed. For me, this is one of the most satisfying parts of playing guitar - when the old becomes the new. And by that same process, we are once again as players re-connected to where we came from.

But where it really gets interesting is when you take that re-discovery one step further, i.e. roll it into something entirely new, and wholly different. Yeah, it's cool to have a sound just like Clapton, or SRV, or whomever. But how cool would it be to have your own tone, and have it be "Clapton-esque", or "Cream-ish", or something along those same lines - you know - tap into the mojo, but put your own stamp on it?

Such are the things I am wrestling with today. And what a glorious predicament it is turning out to be!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the afro

For those who are interested in whetting their appetite for Cream, check out "Strange Brew: The Very Best of Cream." It has the classics like "White Room" and "Sunshine of Your Love" as well as things like "Anyone for Tennis?" and the more psychadelic "Tales of Brave Ulysees." The first real bass line that I learned back in the day was the one to "Badge." Very cool stuff.

I just read something recently where Clapton said that he hates most of his old stuff, particularly "Crossroads."
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I love the afro
    hey that hair doo reminds me of the robert "the shredder" renman look!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Two "Master Shreaders" on the same forum! What more could we ask for?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Not that it has much do with his music (or maybe it does....), but I was always amazed by what a chameleon old EC was, always changing his physical appearance, often in quite radical ways, mostly though the adjustment of hair placement, length and style. Do a Google Images search on "Eric Clapton" and look at what comes up! Geez, you can't even tell it's the same guy in many of the photos. And I'm talking about when he was a young man, and age wasn't a factor in his appearance. I've got to believe that's another manifestation of an innate tendency toward risk-taking, which is also reflected in the broad range of musical styles he has explored over the years. Or not....

BTW, I think that the Beano album is an absolutely essential part of any semi-serious EC collection. To my mind, that's when Clapton became Clapton. I have it in vinyl, purchased around '67, but I'm going to have to pick up one of the reissue CD's....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

The Beano album rules. Period.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be common knowledge, but just in case anyone reading this has no idea what the heck "the Beano album" is, we're referring to EC's one and only album with John Mayall's Blues Breakers. It's commonly referred to as the Beano album because of the comic book that EC is pictured reading on the cover. To wit:

Attachment 149

And it's great. Clapton left to form Cream a few months later.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; March 25th, 2006 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixxed speling

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Not that it has much do with his music (or maybe it does....), but I was always amazed by what a chameleon old EC was, always changing his physical appearance, often in quite radical ways, mostly though the adjustment of hair placement, length and style. ....
    Indeed, Clapton had many "looks". His best one was always holding a guitar.

I've got to believe that's another manifestation of an innate tendency toward risk-taking, which is also reflected in the broad range of musical styles he has explored over the years. Or not.... ....
    Very astute observation, Voodoo, and I would wholeheartedly concur with it.

BTW, I think that the Beano album is an absolutely essential part of any semi-serious EC collection. To my mind, that's when Clapton became Clapton. I have it in vinyl, purchased around '67, but I'm going to have to pick up one of the reissue CD's....
    The Beano album will provide more than ample inspiration for you and that new Delta Blues amp of yours. Why not have the friendly folks at Amazon.com deliver a fine used copy to your doorstep, and spend that valuable time coaxing smooth tones out of your new rig? Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...Fencoding=UTF8

Post Thanks / Like

I just heard the entire Beano album for the first time--good stuff. I did already have some Mayall compilations that had a number of cuts off of that album, but I hadn't played those in a few years.

Thanks for the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    The Beano album rules. Period.
    absolutely....i love claptons sound....took it out today and played it again because of all the discussion of it....it's back in my rotation again!

I also dug out Fleetwood Mac Live In London '68....man Peter Green can play too. Another cd i would recommend (maybe we should start a crazy old peter green thread!)

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    The Beano album will provide more than ample inspiration for you and that new Delta Blues amp of yours. Why not have the friendly folks at Amazon.com deliver a fine used copy to your doorstep, and spend that valuable time coaxing smooth tones out of your new rig?
    Capital idea, Nelsk! Placed the order 2 minutes ago!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Two words bro - The Beano Album.

...ok three words.

ps - thanks!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Had to throw this up, too--photo of my original Beano album, purchased '67, I'm pretty sure. Early '68 at the latest. Geez, this thing is almost 40 years old! Kinda worn on the cover, due to sliding it in an out of the record cabinet (remember those??) so many times. Clapton looks like a kid. Clapton was a kid. And already had tone I'll never achieve in my lifetime!! And look at the baby-face on John McVie next to him!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the photo VoooDoo. Has anyone read Beano? I've never heard of it, actually.

BTW about 20 years ago I went on a hunt to get those boots that EC is wearing (Beatle Boots) but they didn't make them anymore. I still think that they look soft and comfortable.

What geetar is EC playing on this album. I seem to recall a thread that discussed this. Nelskie, was that you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    What geetar is EC playing on this album. I seem to recall a thread that discussed this. Nelskie, was that you?
    A gorgeous old Les Paul Standard that was later stolen. Thought to be a '60 model.

Clapton's Blues Breakers LP

BTW, The Beano was a popular kid's comic book in the UK at the time. EC was doubtless holding it as a goof.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

A gorgeous old Les Paul Standard that was later stolen. Thought to be a '60 model.

BTW, The Beano was a popular kid's comic book in the UK at the time. EC was doubtless holding it as a goof.
    Ah, yes I remember now.

Post Thanks / Like

Beano was a kid's comic book? I assumed it was an underground comic. Nelskie weren't you waxing poetic about the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros? Do you know anything about Beano?

Post Thanks / Like

Beano was a kid's comic book? I assumed it was an underground comic. Nelskie weren't you waxing poetic about the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros? Do you know anything about Beano?
    Here's a good link...

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInfor...noHomePage.asp

Post Thanks / Like

From that page...

During WW2 the Beano did its bit to boost morale amongst its readers. Lord Snooty and Pansy Potter were often seen giving the enemy a kick up the backside. While there were also special war time stories created by artist Sam Fair, Winken & Blinken and Musso The Wop, which made sure that the enemy were made to look foolish.

...Lord Snooty & Pansy Potter?!?....hooo boy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast