Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
weird tone pot business going on

Thread: weird tone pot business going on

Post Thanks / Like

Default weird tone pot business going on

A while back I gutted the guts of my chinaStrat and replace all the pup's, pot's, switch jack. I noticed this problem right away but only now got to checking it out.
    Business as usual in positions 1 and 5, but in 2, 3, 4 when tone #2 is cranked down it actually turns the output off.
    I have triple checked my wiring against 3 different sources, it's all ok.
    It's not an on/off pot, it measures fine and has the same part number as the other.. wtf
    I was thinking of turfing it for one master tone control unless my fine feathered fretter friends have any advise.

thanks either way

Post Thanks / Like

That problem sounds familiar, but I'll be damned if I can remember where I heard it...................:

I'll keep looking.

Oh, DVM.............................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Not completely sure, but I suspect that the capacitor attached to that tone control is bad and acts as a short circuit, so that instead of acting as a low-pass filter, as you turn the tone pot resistance down, it just shunts more & more of your signal to ground. Sounds like the guitar is wired such that the neck pup is on the other tone control, and the bridge is not wired for tone control at all (this is pretty standard for Strats), which would explain why positions 1 & 5 aren't affected. So I'd try changing that tone cap first. Quick & cheap.

One other thing to check--you don't have the third lug on the problem pot soldered to or touching ground, do you? I think that would do the same thing. If you do, disconnect it and see if the problem disappears. AAMOF, I'd check that first, before going after the tone cap....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob,
    The 3rd lug is vacant. I'll clip that cap and see what happens.
    I just re-strung it, Kluson style tuners are a blessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Any update ted???

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't got around to it yet, thanks for the poke.:
    I think I'll do it now.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, so I clipped it, I guess it's bad, have to measure it,
    what the he77 was I thinking clipping it without a replacement, now both pots do nothing equally, sounds kinda neat.