Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mic Placement

Thread: Mic Placement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mic Placement

Am trying to determine where to place/point my mic for the best sound. Up to now, I've been centering the mike on the speaker and pointing it directly perpendicular to the plane of the speaker face, about 1/2" in front of the grille cloth. And I haven't been that impressed with the results!

I found an old thread started by Robert that delved into this, and the following diagram is my interpretation of the recommended placement relative to my amp speaker. Would you seasoned recording mavens please check it out and tell me if I'm on the right track here?? Thanks, doods....

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Most time, I use this setup (sorry, no colour, drawing is not my thing)

Attachment 150

Pointing to direct to the center is very sharp for me.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do what the top picture shows, Voodoo, but instead of a 45 degree angle as in the bottom picture, I prefer to set the mic facing directly opposite the speaker (not sure what angle that is - none!?). I mean "dead on" - that way the dynamic mic I use (SM 57) gets the best chance of picking up what the speaker is producing. That's how I do it anyway.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert, I follow you. How far back from the speaker do you position the mic head?

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

As close as I can get it - right up against the cheese grater, but not so close that I risk getting cheese leftovers stuck on my nice mic.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo - Chris & Robert both have some good recommendations regarding mic placement. Both are pretty close to what I tend to use most frequently. However, I would like to add to that the you need to be cognizant of some other things too, when mic'ing your amp direct. First, as Robert mentioned, a dynamic mic like the Shure SM-57 is tailor made for direct mic'ing an amp. The mic you use (a Behringer, I believe) may not have those same characterists, and as such, you may find that it does not respond as well closer to the amp. Trial and error is really what dictates how you want things to sound, so don't limit your options as far as that goes. Try some different mic placement positions, and then decide for yourself which tone suits your style, or the feel of the song. What you end up liking may be way different that what you had initially thought.

Another "trick" I use for rhythm parts is to pull the mic well away from the amp (2' - 3', and in some cases higher / lower, or further away), and use the space of the room I am recording in as natural, ambient reverb. If at all possible, I like to cut a single track using (2) mic's, one close, one ambient, and running each into a different mix channel. That way, I can do an insert effect on one of the channels (usually the ambient channel), and keep the close-mic'ed track for the main rhythm. This technique also works good for leads, to "fatten" up the tone a bit.

There are literally a gazillion ways to mic an amp. The tried and true methods are usually pretty effective in getting a good recording tone, but sometimes may not work the best with the mic you're using, or the room you're recording in. That's when you have to do a little "Dr. Mikenstein", and come up with something that works.*large thunderclap* IT'S ALIVE!

Post Thanks / Like

Simple way.

Put on your headphones.
    Play or have someone else play.
    Move the mic around while the playing is going on.
    Pay attention while listening in the headphones as to what the sound is like in various mic positions.
    Position mic according to taste.

Take 2 Strats and call me in the morning.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud - whos the babe.

Really good suggestions from these guys. You can also use a 2nd mic for an ambient feel and mix both for some sonic butter.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Spud - whos the babe.
    Just a fantasy or my lil fren or spokesperson for the Florida Travel Board. You choose.
    Last edited by Spudman; March 27th, 2006 at 08:36 AM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet.....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I got ramblin' on my mind
    Yeah, I'll bet you do!

And many thanks for the very useful inputs everybody gave me, both here and by PM. Looks like I've got some experimenting to do!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo - Nelskie got me hooked on the Beano album hence the "ramblin' on my mind" quote.

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use a 2nd mic for an ambient feel and mix both for some sonic butter.
    Sonic butter . . . ! Awesome term, Tone. That's going in my literary arsenal like now!

Wonder how sonic butter would taste with some fresh, pipin' hot tweed biscuits . . . ?!! MMMMmmmmmm, good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    [I]Wonder how sonic butter would taste with some fresh, pipin' hot tweed biscuits . . . ?!! MMMMmmmmmm, good!
    I would not mind having a few of those together with a nice glass of penta-tonic.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Wonder how sonic butter would taste with some fresh, pipin' hot tweed biscuits . . . ?!! MMMMmmmmmm, good!
    And maybe a dab of some brown marmalade!

(Hold on, that doesn't sound so good, for some reason! )

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO. You guys crack me up. Sonic butter was invented during a weekend alcohol binge on the night I happened to log on. hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

LMAO. You guys crack me up. Sonic butter was invented during a weekend alcohol binge on the night I happened to log on. hahahaha
    would make a great band name

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nelskie got me hooked on the Beano album hence the "ramblin' on my mind" quote.
    Correction: You got yourself hooked on the Beano album.