Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Learning To Love Again

Thread: Learning To Love Again

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Learning To Love Again

Having picked up my "lead-ish" guitar gig a couple of years ago, I haven't spent much time with my bass, other than the few songs I switch off with our bass player on.

I did something today that was totally impulsive (like Fretters aren't gonna do that once in a while, eh?). I traded my ol' (some might say "vintage") Yamaha amp on a Hartke A35 bass amp for a couple a bucks and taxes paid. I wasn't using the Yammy much anymore and she is a HEAVY ol' girl. I was getting tired of lugging it around - she's been following me since I went to college, been to Ontario and back but hasn't seen much action lately. Being very pragmatic (yeah, right!) I thought it was time to downsize to suit my needs better.

It's a pretty cool little amp. :The aluminum driver sounds very focused and punchy, and it's pretty loud for the size. Enough to shake the walls in my basement at any rate. Won't be gigging with it, but it'll be good for my basement "studio" and for practices. Even if it has trouble keeping up in practice, there is a DI out so we can dump 'er into the board anyway.

My bass sounds better than ever through this little gem and I had a great time playing it this morning. Cranked out a bit o' Geddy even.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

congrats ross, might I ask which model you got?
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

See above (and my sig). It's an A35. 35W (a loud 35W mind you) with a 10" aluminum driver, CD input, effects loop, limiter, headphones and DI out.

Won't be gigging with it, although you can disconnect the speaker and plug into another cab - that might make a difference. It does get some less than stellar reviews, but I think it's from people expecting too much - Ampeg or Gaillen Krueger it ain't. No matter though. It's strictly for my basement (bassment ) "studio" and for rehersals and small jam sessions. Sounds good to my ears. That and about $50 out of pocket is all that counts. :

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Trev. Never had a bass amp myself... maybe one of these days.

Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Looks good Trev. Never had a bass amp myself... maybe one of these days.

well, you don't realy need an amp, I remember I started out with an old heathkit 20 watt all-purpose wamp and a big home-made 115 cab, it sounded astoundingly great, fierce and fat- yet cutting-lows and sharp, elegant highs, yet with a bit of tweaking you could get a nice singing midrange so sweet it'd make a jewish guy eat bacon(figuratively). I've been looking for a fifty or 100 watt tube head that could do the same, to no avail.

-anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    so sweet it'd make a jewish guy eat bacon(figuratively)
    This is off topic, but does anyone besides me think that "Figurative Bacon" would be a great name for a band?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    This is off topic, but does anyone besides me think that "Figurative Bacon" would be a great name for a band?
    Or maybe... "Figurative Bacon Brothers" if it was a family endeavor! :
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

To further hijack my own thread, nice bass Algonquin! Where'd ja hook that?

I miss bass fishing. Closest I can get is smallies stocked in a few select lakes here. Used to do a week long canoe trip with my brothers-inlaw in Northern Ontario - don't remember the name of the lakes, but we did a pretty good series of paddling and portaging to get in to them.

Walleye and pike abound, along with lakers and rainbows, but you can't get a good piece of bass in SK

Trev

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Trev, hijack schmijack...we're still talking about bass right?, and this is the bass forum. :

Here's a bigger shot of me playing with my bass. Reasonably light, probably weighing between 4 to 5 pounds at the 19" mark. Very tricky to tune though... it's tough to Tuna Fish

Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Hey Trev, hijack schmijack...we're still talking about bass right?, and this is the bass forum. :

Here's a bigger shot of me playing with my bass. Reasonably light, probably weighing between 4 to 5 pounds at the 19" mark. Very tricky to tune though... it's tough to Tuna Fish
    Super short scale for a bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Super short scale for a bass.
    And it's Frettless too!

Did I mention I only use it to practice 'Scales'
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I suppose so

-anonymous