Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Another which would you get thread....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another which would you get thread....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another which would you get thread....

Ok, so a no doubt remember the last thread I posted like this, debating a Deluxe Players, Lonestar, and a MIM Standard. I got the Standard, took it back (the frets were all screwed up) and ordered a Lonestar, which I won't see until the next production lot is released from Fender in March.

Well, birthdays being the things they are, another dilemma has thus surfaced:

Another month wait for the Lonestar, and with credit I have towards that, along with gift cards and a few expendable dollars, I find myself only $175 short of a brand new American Standard Stratocaster. Mind you, that's before haggling is taken into the equation; I can probably get that down to the low $900's or thereabouts if I bring up (and milk) the fact that the Lonestar was supposed to come in within 10 days, not a month and a half (not their fault, but still....it's leverage).

So the question is, what would YOU do? Between the two, would you get an American Standard, or get the Lonestar and have most of the money towards a Fender Blues Jr. amp (which I also want). I've never had a US made guitar before, always wanted to get one, and it IS coming up on my 20th anniversary of playing. However, a nice guitar (w/ Texas Specials and a Pearly Gates humbucker) and a Blues Jr. ain't so shabby either. Hmmmm.......

Post Thanks / Like

If the MIM Lonestars are anything like the MIA ones from the mid 90s I'd wait to try one. They really were a step up from the US Standard of the time. In the originals the 'bucker was split on the 5-way so it didn't overpower the middle pickup. That one and the Roadhouse were really good sounding strats, as is my '94 Special Edition which I bought because it was the same as a Roadhouse for about £150 less (used).
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Well more importantly than where it was made I think is the features for the most money After all Corona and Ensenada(I think this is right) are right next to each other.The mexican plant is state of the art trully and I feel the quality of fender is going the right direction.That said the redesigned bridge alone with copper/steel block,steel saddles,redesigned saddles, is worth getting the standard.The neck work frets finish will most likely be better on the standard.(Not sure about guys with big fingers) They have narrowed the string spacing! On the mexi models(roadhouse lonestar) the pups are better than standard.I love the sienna sunburst maple neck standard.: But I will be ordering one of the mexicans soon So up to you but if you dont have a good amp then go for the mexi plus amp!! If your set in the amp dept. go for the standard!:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

From what you're telling me, my answer is the American Standard. I had a Lonestar once and I wasn't too fond of it. Plus, I can read between the lines you REALLY want the Am Standard anyway. So there you go.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd wait till the guitar came in and play it....if it feels good to you buy it and get the amp....if it doesn't then play some american standards and buy the one that feels right for you....did i mention play the guitar you are going to get before you buy it!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danzego
    :

So the question is, what would YOU do? Hmmmm.......
    I would realize that by March I'd be dying of G.A.S. pains, go down there and pick out the best American Standard I could find, do a really close inspection and see if it's a fit for you, and, as you suggested, haggle my way to the best price possible. Take it home and enjoy.: Don't drop it or bang it into stuff, or eat PB&J sammiches while you play it. Keep it mint, just play it..... Then go back in March and look over the Lonestar when it comes in. If you think the Lonestar is the better guitar (which I doubt, but 'ya never know), trade back for it.

There........now you've got to play a Strat for a month, and can still get your Lonestar if absolutely necessary.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i'd wait till the guitar came in and play it....if it feels good to you buy it and get the amp....if it doesn't then play some american standards and buy the one that feels right for you....did i mention play the guitar you are going to get before you buy it!

ww
    Yeah, I agree. Do that. Some MIM's are just absolutely sweet! But when I started shopping, I was also looking at an American fat strat with the S1 feature. If you are that close, you might have to try both, but unless the American one blows you away, and the MIM is nice, I'd say go MIM and spend the extra as you suggest. But, be patient and try before you buy. You are spending enough to take time to be sure.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

No way, dude! You need a Strat ASAP! Go ahead, get the 'merican you like best, go back in March and trade back if you want the Lonestar and the amph.

Seriously, take your time and be sure, that's too much dough to spend if the guitar you get doesn't fit your hands/body/etc. comfortably.
    I honestly do think the American is the "better" Strat, but because it's the one that fits me best....... and I play/own a MIM, ....... so there 'ya go....:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well OK, that is a good plan too. Here is the one I was originally drooling over (in silver and black) before I went with my MIM.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-A...16-i1167445.gc
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    From what you're telling me, my answer is the American Standard. I had a Lonestar once and I wasn't too fond of it. Plus, I can read between the lines you REALLY want the Am Standard anyway. So there you go.

Why is it, in the midst of my honest to goodness confusion here, that statement seems to feel so true? Wow...I didn't know that you also have your PhD in internet psychology, Robert.

I can't stand it anymore. My GAS is just too great. I'm going to head out to Guitar Center after classes tonight to do some comparisons between the two (provided they still have the black Lonestar I'm not too keen on that they had there before). GAS being what it is, don't be surprised if I post tonight that I ended up buying a Standard. :

I'll try to stay as level headed as possible, though. *crosses fingers*

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got back a couple of hours ago.

.........I brought an American friend back with me.

Post Thanks / Like

"I'll try to stay as level headed as possible, though. *crosses fingers*"

I bet your knees were shaking and you were sweating like the high school football team at a homecoming game! And that was before you played it

Nice ride fo-sho:

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have that secret degree you were talking out, and I'm also psychic, so I knew you were going to buy it !
    Congrats. We know you will now have lots of fun, and school work will suffer.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm officially envious, Danzego....

That is a really beautiful guitar you got. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you'll probably have trouble putting it down....

Post Thanks / Like

: : : :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I want one!
    Gorgeous guitar, Danzego. Love that sunburst finish, too.:

How does it compare with the Lonestar in your opinion?
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Not a shabby birthday present at all (even if you had to cough up some money yourself too)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet man!! Congrats!! Ok, now I can see a black PG and some mean SRV licks being developed in your vocabulary. What a great B-day!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

that is a beauty!! :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast