Thread: Intonation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intonation

I am having trouble intonating the low E string on my guitar. It's a shade sharp at the 12th fret & I have run out of saddle adjustment. What can I do?

Is saddle adjustment when you reach back to pull the wedgy out when your whity tighties ride too high?

Post Thanks / Like

Tot
    If you can afford to, try a new string on that low E. Sometimes if they are old strings you'll have a problem getting accurate results. Otherwise you might try removing the spring on the bridge saddle and going back some more.

If you have a plate style bridge you can loosen all the strings and and then loosen the bridge mount screws and try to push the bridge back a little on the low E side then tighten the screws. It might get you a few cents more.

Which guitar is this?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Tot
    If you can afford to, try a new string on that low E. Sometimes if they are old strings you'll have a problem getting accurate results. Otherwise you might try removing the spring on the bridge saddle and going back some more.

If you have a plate style bridge you can loosen all the strings and and then loosen the bridge mount screws and try to push the bridge back a little on the low E side then tighten the screws. It might get you a few cents more.

Which guitar is this?
    Actually both my guitars do this.

A Godin SD with vintage tremolo.
    A Godin Radiator.

I just replaced the low E strings this morning & I got the same results. I also tried removing the spring but the screw only goes so far into the saddle. I am thinking about either cutting the screw to shorten it, or buying a new shorter screw.

What is a plate style bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

My guess then is that you have a tune a matic type bridge? Stop tail piece with a separate saddle section? If that's the case you are screwed. Just kidding. It might be that one of the saddle posts is drilled in the wrong position. In that case you'll need to plug the post hole and reset the post. An experienced tech could do it if you need.

Are the notes on that string really out of tune with the rest of the strings higher up the neck?

When comparing the difference in pitch values between open note and fretted note at the 12th fret, be sure to use the open string and not the harmonic on the 12th for the first note. If your action is really high on the low E side it might be stretching that next note (comparison note) too sharp when you fret it, hence the inability to get that note flatter.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    My guess then is that you have a tune a matic type bridge? Stop tail piece with a separate saddle section? If that's the case you are screwed. Just kidding. It might be that one of the saddle posts is drilled in the wrong position. In that case you'll need to plug the post hole and reset the post. An experienced tech could do it if you need.

Are the notes on that string really out of tune with the rest of the strings higher up the neck?

When comparing the difference in pitch values between open note and fretted note at the 12th fret, be sure to use the open string and not the harmonic on the 12th for the first note. If your action is really high on the low E side it might be stretching that next note (comparison note) too sharp when you fret it, hence the inability to get that note flatter.
    I don't think that it is a tune-a-matic type bridge. The action is low and I compare the open string to the fretted 12th.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hey

Godin Radiators use a 6 saddle hardtail as it is chamberbody.

Theres little screws on the bridge that adjust how far the bridges come towards the neck.. shouldn't have to cut or replace these screws... my radiator just had to be cleanly setup....

just reset the post and setup if you have to.

might help to polish your saddles also.
    I wound up putting Graphtechs on my radiator..

the SDs are pretty damn sweet though... i want one bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear
    Godin Radiators use a 6 saddle hardtail as it is chamberbody.

Theres little screws on the bridge that adjust how far the bridges come towards the neck.. shouldn't have to cut or replace these screws... my radiator just had to be cleanly setup....

just reset the post and setup if you have to.

might help to polish your saddles also.
    I wound up putting Graphtechs on my radiator..

the SDs are pretty damn sweet though... i want one bad.
    Hey Bigbear, I don't know how I missed your reply. So you've got a Radiator? kewl.

What is the post? What should I do to do a clean setup? Is this a truss rod adjustment?

The funny thing is I just checked that E string with a capo & the intonation was spot on. Should I be using my finger or a capo to set the intonation.

Yeah, I like my SD. I got it for ~$160.

Post Thanks / Like

to_tard,
    Check out this site.
    Set Your Intonation

Hope it helps you.
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like