Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plastic Strat Nuts - Why, Fender, why?

Post Thanks / Like

Most guitar manufacturers who use what's considered to be good quality parts, use CTS pots (Fender and Gibson), CGE pots (Gibson), and maybe Alpha pots. For switches and jacks, most use Switchcraft and/or CRL.

The CTS pots are normally just the stock pots that have a +/- 20% variance. I've never really seen a problem in the build quality of these, but if you get a pot(s) that are at the bottom end of that 20% (200k), it'll have a definite adverse affect on the tone of the guitar.

A company could certainly spec a better CTS pot +/- 10% if they wanted to, but that runs up the cost of the guitar. Or they could have pots made to their specs for an even greater cost to the consumer. Companies like RS Guitar Works who do this, provide custom parts for a price. People seem perfectly willing to shell out the money for replacement parts like this after buying the guitar, but complain if the cost of the guitar reflects the use of these parts in the original construction.

As it's always been, it's the luck of the draw in which parts are in the guitar you buy. That's why playing before you buy is important. Remember that even the guitars from the golden age (30-40 years ago), had their fair share of turkeys that didn't sound very good. We tend to only remember the great ones from that era.

Post Thanks / Like

Bloozcat thanks a lot for this very detailled explanation and great insights on guitar pots :
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

To oldguy: Dude, don't let my experience freak you out. It hasn't freaked ME out. That first MIM was just the tool marks that was the problem. Other than that, I thought it was sweet.

The Am Std. is also very nice and was set up perfectly (or, if anything, the action was a hair lower than I would like) as far as I can tell. It's just that weird issue with what must be the nut allowing the strings to vibrate at the headstock to the point where they're sounding when playing an open B or G and giving a slight but noticeable ring (a metallic sound). But I'm not letting that one little issue steer me from any other Fenders. I'll just make sure I get one that works!

Go try a few out and see what you think. Just remember, Fenders are generally strung like crap (at least in my limited experience), so don't expect them to stay in tune very well without changing strings and, well, I too find their setups to be very inconsistent. But then I'm sure unless you get the one in a hundred that just happens to be setup in your fashion, you're going to change it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    Bloozcat thanks a lot for this very detailled explanation and great insights on guitar pots :
    De rien, mon ami...or... Bitte schon, mein Freund, (if you prefer).

The next time you're out at your favorite drinking establishment Jipes, how about having a nice stein of Kronenbourg for me. It's my favorite beer, and darn hard to find locally here...:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    As it's always been, it's the luck of the draw in which parts are in the guitar you buy. That's why playing before you buy is important. Remember that even the guitars from the golden age (30-40 years ago), had their fair share of turkeys that didn't sound very good. We tend to only remember the great ones from that era.

For sooth......................................

The True Word has been spoken! :
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    De rien, mon ami...or... Bitte schon, mein Freund, (if you prefer).

The next time you're out at your favorite drinking establishment Jipes, how about having a nice stein of Kronenbourg for me. It's my favorite beer, and darn hard to find locally here...:
    To be honest we don't have any real good local beer, the original one from Alsace have close down. Kronenbourg is the very last one I will surely have a drink thinking of you !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12