Thread: Plastic Strat Nuts - Why, Fender, why?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the quality of the parts on Fender guitars are really not up to the standard of a great guitar company, the saddles are also of bad quality and ruining strings (I had to change them on my 57 reissue) and the pots are also of cheap quality :

Hopefully the guitars are not only the parts but it's sad when you have to exchange so many things on a quite expensive guitar !

Jipes
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    Unfortunately the quality of the parts on Fender guitars are really not up to the standard of a great guitar company, the saddles are also of bad quality and ruining strings (I had to change them on my 57 reissue) and the pots are also of cheap quality :

Hopefully the guitars are not only the parts but it's sad when you have to exchange so many things on a quite expensive guitar !

Jipes
    I disagree with this and frankly find it misleading.Not sure what models your talking about but saddles are stamped steel on american standards.Lots of reasons you break strings at the saddle .Two main ones are a burr or something abrasive on the saddle itself and the break angle being to severe thus breaking strings! Pots are cts and are american made standard on lots of top guitars made .Both mim and american use these pots along with gibson etc. etc.:

So yea I respectively disagree!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    I disagree with this and frankly find it misleading.Not sure what models your talking about but saddles are stamped steel on american standards.Lots of reasons you break strings at the saddle .Two main ones are a burr or something abrasive on the saddle itself and the break angle being to severe thus breaking strings! Pots are cts and are american made standard on lots of top guitars made .Both mim and american use these pots along with gibson etc. etc.:

So yea I respectively disagree!
    Don't want to start a friendly fight but my guitar tech strongly disagree with you, all the pots are of moderate quality compared to many other and yes the saddles are often not well polished so that strings break down. That happen to me on my Esquire several time as well as on my 57 Reissue american Strat. I had to change some of them in order to circumvent this problem

Maybe I'm just not lucky but the guy which is fixing my guitars is a skill repairman and a professional musician, I do believe what he says (he is not the first one to tell me that BTW)
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    Don't want to start a friendly fight but my guitar tech strongly disagree with you, all the pots are of moderate quality compared to many other and yes the saddles are often not well polished so that strings break down. That happen to me on my Esquire several time as well as on my 57 Reissue american Strat. I had to change some of them in order to circumvent this problem

Maybe I'm just not lucky but the guy which is fixing my guitars is a skill repairman and a professional musician, I do believe what he says (he is not the first one to tell me that BTW)

Well you said in your original post " pots are also of cheap quality ", not moderate quality compared to many others as your saying now I said they are standard quality on alot of american made guitars and are standard replacement for inferior pots among many luthiers and or techs and or DIY guitar builders. There are of course better pots being built for aftermarket (I use rsguitarworks superpots/kits) they are built by cts also and considered very high quality.I replaced a few gibson insides with these kits but mostly because of the 300k pots gibby uses.Please reference the pots you and your tech refer to im always looking for better. Also what guitars use them. My final word and always friendly opinion on pots Fender/Gibson/Etc uses is they are of good standard quality but most do test under value Example: 500k=440k,250k=198k

Also you said "the saddles are also of bad quality and ruining strings."Please specify the type bridge on your Esquire im assuming its the 3 brass barrel tele type.(vintage design) The reissue has the vintage strat bridge also(not the modern saddles design) but are stamped steel so im not sure your issue is with the quality so much as maybe the design of that bridge.That being said I own lots of strats and teles and ive had to rub a few burrs off from time to time but have broke one string in 3 years and im a mad bender and it was a g-string I broke: I do replace some saddles and of course the nut on my strats with G.T. sometimes.

Lastly you said "the guy which is fixing my guitars is a skill repairman and a professional musician, I do believe what he says (he is not the first one to tell me that)"

Im over 40 Ive been fixing/building repairing my own guitars 20 years +!!!(not to start a pissing war ) My pro days have passed by with the 80's but I luther all my guitars and my boys and bandmates lots of fenders in that bunch I dont take anyones word as gospel or believable or not.I do take it as their opinion only and usually form my own opinion based on my expieriences.Peace!!:
    Last edited by mrmudcat; February 11th, 2008 at 01:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kat im sorry iv'e taken this thread slightly offtrack with Jipes and mines friendly respectfull discussion/dis agreement I do like the G.T. nut and or saddles:

Post Thanks / Like

Fender's build quality varies.
    Check out Danzego's posts on his Strats.
    My MIM Strat is very nice, others are not.
    It's always a crapshoot w/ a new guitar, until Danzego got his Am. Strat, I was ready to take the plunge and trade for a new Am. Standard, and trade in my MIM Strat. Guitars are different, craftsmen are different, variables are different, and there are no absolutes. I've bought "budget" guitars, and they were great out of the box, no mods needed.
    I've also bought "high-end" guitars and found they needed tweaking to play properly.
    I don't make a decision until I've held it, and played it. :
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Well said oldguy.Im not sure why danz post would scare ya from an am standard. The tooling marks on the first mim guitar was horrible: I have yet to figure out exactly what he is talking about with the new guitar. I dont think it would stop me from buying, the new am standard has alot of great upgrades I digress enough fender cheerleading

to Jipes I hope my replies are respectful in agreeing to disagree,my journey here is to learn from those willing to teach and maybe teach those willing to learn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Kat im sorry iv'e taken this thread slightly offtrack with Jipes and mines friendly respectfull discussion/dis agreement I do like the G.T. nut and or saddles:

No worries, man. These discussions are cool, and are fine by me. I learn stuff this way!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40