Thread: Best Flatwound Bass Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Flatwound Bass Strings

Well, they finally arrived, I've installed them on Mr. Bacon, my 'Hog G&L L2K, and all I can say is WOW! Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats are, bar none, the tastiest string I've EVER played. They still have to settle in, but right off the bat, there isn't a smoother flatwound made, and I've tried a bunch.

They aren't cheap, costing almost half of the new price of a Squier Bullet Strat, but most people I've talked to report that they hold up for at least a year or more. They are, I believe, the lowest tension bass flat available, and much easier to bend than the Rotosounds I had on Fender Frankenbass. They also feel like they have much less tension than the D'Addario XL Chromes that I used to have on my old Yamaha RBX774. I had to re-adjust my truss rod once I had installed them.

I can't wait to hear them through my Russian Big Muff Pi once they are thoroughly broken in!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Best Bass Flats.....

LaBella's Deep Talkin Bass, TI Jazz Flats, D'Addario Chromes, and GHS Precision Flats. If you want old school flat sound and feel, go with the LaBella's or GHS'.
    If you want a woody sound, the TI's. If you want a more useful all around flatwound that is slightly brighter and speaks more, go with the D'Addario's. :
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Did'ja ever try Pyramids? I've heard that the bass players in San Francisco in the 60s felt is was a big part of the San Francisco sound.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Pyramids,

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Did'ja ever try Pyramids? I've heard that the bass players in San Francisco in the 60s felt is was a big part of the San Francisco sound.
    Paul McCartney uses them on his Hofners.
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!