Thread: Modeller W/tube Amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Modeller W/tube Amp

OK, anybody have experience with running a modeller (pod pocket or Korg PX4) though a tube amp and just having the sound come out of the tube amp instead of the modeller? Pros/cons. My guess is that the amp modelling/FX would take the characteristics of the tube amp in audible sound??? Hoping!!! aaahahah

Post Thanks / Like

Generally the modeler output is run into the effect loop of the tube amp thereby bypassing the preamp section of the amp. Doing this insures that little coloration comes from the amp's preamp and the modeled sounds will remain true. However, you are still going to get a bit of flavor from the tube amp just because it still has some of its own character, but bypassing the preamp and tone stacks will provide the least coloration and the modeler will more effectively model.

If you don't have an effect loop on your amp then turn down the output on the modeler completely and fully turn up the master volume on the amp and the channel input that you will be plugging the modeler into. This should get the truest sound from the modeler in this case. Slowly bring up the modeler output until you get the desired volume.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So that would work for running my Toneport in to my Peavey, correct? It is what I have been doing and it seems to work at home volumes.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If you don't have an effect loop on your amp then turn down the output on the modeler completely and fully turn up the master volume on the amp and the channel input that you will be plugging the modeler into. This should get the truest sound from the modeler in this case. Slowly bring up the modeler output until you get the desired volume.

Hey Spud...

How well does this work? Is there any issue with running the amp at full volume for extended periods of time while using the modeler to ultimately determine the volume that you hear?
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Running the tube amph full out ensures that you get the cleanest reproduction of the modeled signal. You aren't really necessarily at 'screamin solo' level. The amp will reproduce all the frequencies from the modeled tones more faithfully if you run it this way ONLY if you aren't using the effect loop in the amph but running the modeler into the normal guitar input on the amph.

There should be no problems with this provided you aren't trying to push 120 db full time with the amph. You will adjust the overall volume with the output of the modeler.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Also make sure that you set your modelers output to (poweramp out) instead of studio/direct record. That is possible on most tonelab and will make sure that you´ll get the best sound possible when going through a poweramp.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you would get the cleanest reproduction of the modelers signal
    with the tube amp at a lower volume setting?
    When I crank my valve jr. I get some sweet tube distortion,but wouldn't that distort the modelers signal too?
    I have no experience trying this so I'm just wondering out loud here.
    Eric
    Guitars: Vox standard model 24,Framus jumbo acoustic,
    Crafter Telecaster copy,Crafter D-7 acoustic,
    Samick les paul copy.
    Dillion SG
    Amps: Behringer GMX1200H, Epiphone valve jr.