Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Overrated Musicians
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overrated Musicians

Post Thanks / Like

Default Overrated Musicians

Okay, let us play with open cards here. I have witnessed and self experienced the following situation some couple of times:

"What?!?! you think the Beatles are overrated? They were great, get yourself some new pair of ears!" Most people who verbally attack other's musical opinions are the ones who have never listened to the entire catalogue of for e.g. The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

I have my issues giving the share to the follwoing bands/musicians, as I think they have been hyped in a way:

1. The Beatles - The achetype of the Boyband. They were revolutionary for their time, good musicians, nice songwriting, super results out of a 4-track machine. BUT, I have my problems acknowledging all they did. I think some stuff was pretty lame, some songs were "Bonbon Candy" songs with horrible lyrics and George Harrison was not that great guitar player that everybody sees in him.

2. Eric Clapton - Clapton appealed to me much with his Robert Johnson stuff, although he sounds very polished. He repeats most of his licks and never really developped. Of course he revolutionized and godfathered the whole unplugged concerts, but he's still so and so in my eyes.

3. Prince - Tough one. I see that he has above-average talent, but he is not the great guitarist everyone sees in him. Not worth an interview in Guitar World. His technique is so and so and his singing is unbearable to me when he sings a whole song with his head voice. God beware!

4. BB King - "BB can destroy every player with one note"! Have you heard that before? I think so. BB is a wonderful singer to me, but his guitar repertoire is to small for me to call him a great player. Sure you recognize him, but is he really that good? I saw him talking once about how Jazz chords influenced him and how he integrates then into his playing. Does he really do so? I have never heard that.

I write all this with respect to the a.m. musicians. It is my personal opinion and you might be of a completely different opinion on what I wrote, but I started this thread to get to know which players are overrated in your eyes and why so.

Jimi
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, man--do we really want to do this? This is one of those topics that may be interesting, but seems prone to generating hard feelings. I know we're an uncommonly civilized group here, by internet standards, but this seems like tempting the fates! Think I'll sit this one out....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

What if the question is spun, who are the under-rated and why ? Might be safer ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    What if the question is spun, who are the under-rated and why ? Might be safer ?
    Okay I understand. Don't want to evoke hard feelings or mixed emotions. If this one is too hard then maybe ted s can post his idea. There is definitely also some couple names on that list.

Thanks for reminding me - party on'
    Jimi
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Take it away Jimi.. she's yours.

Post Thanks / Like

This is another subjectivity issue in which much will not prove to be beneficial to discuss because it simply relies too much on personal preference and taste.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

As everyone feels the same about it, I respectfully edit my post.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I believe we already had two similar threads (overrated and underrated guitarists).
    And +1 on DVM and Spuds take on this, though we can always politely disagree.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Very subjective........................one man's over rated player is another's hero.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

All I want to add here is ... Robert Renman is way over-rated!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    LOL!!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

That may be so and I can agree on this with you. However, he does have a fabulous delay pedal. :

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I've been saying - as long as you can flash cool looking and cool sounding gear - who cares if you can play!

If I can't look good myself, at least I can have gear that looks good.

(disclaimer: if you don't know me, take the above with a pinch of salt.)
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice avatar, Robert. Is the lettering custom-made or stock?
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I got that lettering factory-made for me, due to my incredible online (over-rated) fame status.
    Last edited by Robert; February 11th, 2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: The critical word "over-rated" was missing

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree..... some of his earlier "snake-vein" playing was great!!Also, I do think some of his upcoming stuff may "echo" his old playing, btw.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, next time I go traveling, "Snakes On A Plane" will have a new meaning.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I've been saying - as long as you can flash cool looking and cool sounding gear - who cares if you can play!

If I can't look good myself, at least I can have gear that looks good.
    Remember what Fernando said! It's not how you sound, it's how you look. And Robert....you look MAHVELOUS!!

(Except the creepy veins, of course....)
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this whole post is in vein!

burrrr... creeeeepy....

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast