Thread: Tribal Tech

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tribal Tech

These guys were (and still are) huge influences for me. This live clip from 1995 is really cool with Scott Henderson totally burning up the fretboard.

Kirk Covington on groove and rap, Gary Willis on funkalicious bass, Scott Kinsey on killer keys and Scott Henderson on his Ibanez through a Marshall.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great vid, Robert! The really cool thing about Scott Henderson is that when he's soloing he knows where he is at all times, and has total command of the fretboard and note selection.

Good stuff. That tune redefines the term "funky!"
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Tribal Tech is definately one of my fav bands... +1
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

They sure are funky for white guys.:

It reminds me of the last really good drummer I worked with. He studied at PIT and we would get these never ending funk grooves going similar to the TT video. We became very telepathic and when I'd do something he'd almost instantaneously do it with me. It's so much fun to play like that.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tribal Tech doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. The drummer Kirk Covington played in Scott Henderson's blues trio for a long while, but he got fired after not showing up for a gig. Scott has said he's never going play with Kirk ever again.
    Also, the bass player Gary Willis lives in Barcelona.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally awesome vid!

Scott's sound is great and the band is pretty tight. this is a real fretboard TANGO!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Tribal Tech doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. The drummer Kirk Covington played in Scott Henderson's blues trio for a long while, but he got fired after not showing up for a gig. Scott has said he's never going play with Kirk ever again.
    Also, the bass player Gary Willis lives in Barcelona.
    Completely understandable. I wouldn't want to work with anyone that did the ol' "no call, no show" and took money out of my pocket, either. Lots of musicians have talent, but fewer have both talent and a solid work ethic.

Still, it would be kinda cool if the other band members got together under a different name.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    You know what the cool thing would have been to have happened? What kind of audience do you think Tribal Tech drew? Probably a lot of other musicians and great players right. I'll bet they could have found a drummer in the audience that could have pulled off the gig. Now THAT would have been an awesome thing to see happen. Kind of like in the movie "Rock Star."

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.