Thread: New Dokken

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Dokken

I know that most of you aren't trapped in the 80s like me, but from my avatar you can note that I'm a big fan of Dokken, especially with George Lynch on guitar. Some tracks and clips from their new album "Lightening Strikes Again" are available on their Myspace page. They have been comparing this album to "Tooth and Nail," which I take with a grain of salt since that's one of my all-time favorite albums. From the clips it is clear that Jon Levin is doing his best to channel Lynch. Don can't hit the high notes like he used to, but he's still better than 90% of metal singers these days. While I'm not sure that I'll ever hold another Dokken album in as high of a regard as "Tooth and Nail" it seems to be more in that vein (sorry, Robert) than the alt.dokken that plagued most of their albums since the 80s.

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey that's cool Marnold! I've always liked Dokken - moreso than most of their 80's European hair-metal contemporaries. Instills hope in me that it's possible to keep rockin' after 40 :
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I was a big George Lynch/Dokken fan back in the 80s. I saw them live once, I think they opened up for Judas Priest, maybe Aerosmith. They played a pretty good set, but were loud. :

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I know that most of you aren't trapped in the 80s like me, but from my avatar you can note that I'm a big fan of Dokken, especially with George Lynch on guitar. Some tracks and clips from their new album "Lightening Strikes Again" are available on their Myspace page. They have been comparing this album to "Tooth and Nail," which I take with a grain of salt since that's one of my all-time favorite albums. From the clips it is clear that Jon Levin is doing his best to channel Lynch. Don can't hit the high notes like he used to, but he's still better than 90% of metal singers these days. While I'm not sure that I'll ever hold another Dokken album in as high of a regard as "Tooth and Nail" it seems to be more in that vein (sorry, Robert) than the alt.dokken that plagued most of their albums since the 80s.

I guess it depends on what aspect of the 80s you are talking about. I still wear canvas All Stars regardless of the occasion.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, am a huge fan of Tooth and Nail and early Dokken, but Dokken just isn't Dokken without Lynch and Pilson.

(edited for spelling)
    Last edited by Sblack; February 16th, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sblack
    I, too, am a huge fan of Tooth and Nail and early Dokken, but Dokken just isn't Dokken wthout Lynch and Pilson.
    I'm with you for the most part, although Dysfunctional is lamentable even with the whole gang. "Erase the Slate" is, for me, the best Dokken album of the post-Lynch era. Reb Beach really tears it up. Jeff Pilson was still on that one.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I'm with you for the most part, although Dysfunctional is lamentable even with the whole gang. "Erase the Slate" is, for me, the best Dokken album of the post-Lynch era. Reb Beach really tears it up. Jeff Pilson was still on that one.
    The only Dokken (original line up) disaapointment for me was the 1995 reunion live CD, Live in Japan. I loved hearing Lynch play, but there were times on that CD that he flubbed through some solos and his picking/vibrato seemed uneven and sloppy. Don's vocals on said CD suffered as well. But the CD had it high moments, too.

I have always admired Reb's playing. But I missed Lynch's tone and legato during that era.

I saw Dokken on the Monsters of Rock tour in 1987, and they were awesome, awesome, awesome!
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sblack
    I saw Dokken on the Monsters of Rock tour in 1987, and they were awesome, awesome, awesome!
    As did I at the Pontiac Silverdome.