Thread: Recommend a bass amp for me

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommend a bass amp for me

Now that I have a bass on the way, I should get a bass amp, eh!

I don't need anything big, just for the occasional jam and small gig with my duo project.

Another question - will playing the bass through my Reverend tube amp hurt the amp? Or is it okay if I keep the amp on a really clean sounding setting?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob don't run the bass through the Rev.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second that.

Unless you are quietly playing in the house, using that amph at higher levels will make the speaker cone travel too far and pretty soon....zzzzit. No sound!

Look for some used Peavey amps like the TNT(100 watts), Keyboard amphs KB/A (300 watts). They should be in plentiful supply in Canada land used.
    Even the little Behringer amps sounded good to me. By little I mean single 15 and at least 100 watts.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I concur. Unless you play at very LOW sound levels, you risk causing permanent damage to your guitar amp's speaker(s).

I believe that I just saw something about a Peavey TKO for sale up in Ontario, posted to the TalkBass forum. I even gave it a bump. That would be a perfect amp to get you started, and I think the seller was pretty desperate for cash.

Here it is...
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass