Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd Fret Capo

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Rocket said something similar to me a while back and at first I thought he was nuts. Stop looking at your fingers, trust your muscle memory and your ears. Now as a beginner that seems difficult, but push yourself to do it and the notes and chords will become clearer and cleaner.

If they don't, tell the drummer to play louder.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

OK Rocket, let me try to ask this differently.

With the capo on the 2nd fret a (A) chord sounds like a (B) chord with no capo. So what is it a (A) chord or a (B) chord.
    I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to understand this.

Post Thanks / Like

You answered your own question... sounds like a Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj Bmaj.

Doesn't matter how many ways you ask the question... still Bmaj.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Rocket,
    I am going to back away from the computer because I am confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    OK, here is a capo question that has been bothering me lately. I do not have a music theory background and I think this would fall in that category.

When you use a capo why do we still call the chords by the same name as we would without a capo? Since there is a capo on wouldn't that change a chord?

example: with the capo on the second fret playing a A chord is the same as a B chord with no capo on. So why don't we call it a B chord?

Is this just to make it simple? I would think this would make a difference if you are trying to play with a group in a certain key.

I hope I have explained my question correctly.
    You need to look at it in terms of "What Works For Me". Many tab/chord sites will indicate something like Capo at 2nd Fret and then call out the chords by their chord-shapes. So clamp that puppy on and play G, C, D (even though you are actually in the key of A). If you are in the comfort of your living room, who cares what you call it, as long as it sounds right.

When you get together to jam with other musicians, THEN you need to know where you are at. If someone calls out a song in the key of A with a F# minor, you can clamp on your trusty capo on the 2nd fret and follow along in "G" and an open Em fingering for the minor chord.

Hope that makes sense. That's how I learned to play anyway (not saying it's right - just that it's what I figured out on my own so it works for me).

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    With the capo on the 2nd fret a (A) chord sounds like a (B) chord with no capo. So what is it a (A) chord or a (B) chord.
    I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to understand this.
    Just to keep the confusion going Merlin... I'll have a go.

It is a B chord (but because you've put the capo on the 2nd fret you only need to use an open A chord shape [pretending the capo is the nut] to play and sound a B chord).

Hope that makes sense... if not let's just have a beer.
    Cal

Baby Principle: ..If it stinks, change it...
    Guitars: ..Washburn D13S + Washburn R308S..

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, sorry Trev!

I left the computer in the middle of my last post... so didn't see your reply. :
    Cal

Baby Principle: ..If it stinks, change it...
    Guitars: ..Washburn D13S + Washburn R308S..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12