Thread: Advice on a small recording amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on a small recording amp?

I'm looking to buy a small recording amp that would also double as something I can play in my living room without waking the neighbors at night. I'm looking at the following amps right now....Vox AD30VT or a Fender Super Champ. Any suggestions from anyone or input as to what your choice would be?

I have to try them to see which I like better, but I always appreciate the advice/feedback from others. I like the versatility of both, and both can be played at reasonable volumes without driving the Mrs. crazy. But if others have a good suggestion, I'm willing to give it a run through.

I play strats and Agile AL-3000's.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for something fairly versatile? Lots of tones, models, FX, etc.?

Or a one-trick pony that does one or maybe two tricks really well?

Tube or solid state?

One nice little amp that I would consider along with the Vox and Fender SCXD is the Tech21 Trademark 30. The nice thing about it is that it is an analog solid state amp. Cranking it up does not make it sound better unlike a tube amp. So you can get a nice cranked tone at low volumes.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    I'm looking to buy a small recording amp that would also double as something I can play in my living room without waking the neighbors at night. I'm looking at the following amps right now....Vox AD30VT or a Fender Super Champ. Any suggestions from anyone or input as to what your choice would be?

I have to try them to see which I like better, but I always appreciate the advice/feedback from others. I like the versatility of both, and both can be played at reasonable volumes without driving the Mrs. crazy. But if others have a good suggestion, I'm willing to give it a run through.

I play strats and Agile AL-3000's.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Vox is great for practicing, but the line out really doesn't sound good. You'd be better off getting a Line 6 Toneport which you run through your computer. Or a POD XT or a Vox Tonelab maybe.

I don't know what other small amps record well, like the Roland Cube amps or the Fender amps, but other fretters should be able to fill in on this.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I don't know what other small amps record well, like the Roland Cube amps or the Fender amps, but other fretters should be able to fill in on this.
    Good call on the Roland Cube amps. They sound very good, although I have not tried the recording out feature. Personally, I'd opt for the Cube 30X or Cube 60 because they have 10" and 12" speakers respectively.

Another option might be the Digitech RP-250. It has a headphone jack, IIRC and a USB port to connect directly to your computer.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I do use a Line 6 POD XT, but also like the sound of a mic'd amp too. The Roland Cube is a good option, as is the Tech 21....versatility is the key that I'm looking for...different tones much like I get through the POD.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I can vouch for the Tech21 direct box. It's exactly the sound of the amp miked and I've often used it live.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe just to clarify some of the previous statements: the VOX AD30VT works fine if you are recording with a mic; recording through the lineout does not give very good results.