Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vox AD Series

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my "Billy Gibbons" Marshall sound.

model = UK80s
    gain = dimed
    volume = anywhere past 12:00
    treble = 1:00
    middle = 1:00
    bass = 1:00
    master volume = anywhere past 12:00
    variable volume on back of amp = at 75%
    effects = compression with knob set at about 12:00 or 2:00

The compressor accentuates the pumping tone of the UK80s model. If you listen to Billy's sound it pumps out off the fret board like that. Not so much high gain preamp sound...but more air moving instead.

All my other amps settings are pretty much set up the same. Even when I'm playing the clean models and high gain models. All my tone knobs are set to 1:00 as I feel thats an optimum tone setting for almost all the models.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up my Squier Tele and cranked up my Vox 50w amp today at lunch and damn! It sounded good! I used the 4x10 Tweed with the mid at 3 o'clock, treble/bass at 1 o'clock. Volume cranked and gain at 2-3 o'clock. Sweet tone! need to record that sound for you guys.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I too love the 4x10 tweed sound. It's real midrangy and cuts perfectly when you're jamming with someone else. I been using that sound a lot lately myself.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

good led zeppelin (whole lotta love) sound with fender strat:
    (o'clocks) uk'80s
    gain: 3, volume: 12, treble: 12, mid: 1, bass:12, i have reverb on with the tap thing on 1 o'clock
    Blues/Rock/Classic Rock Junkie!

Guitars:
    -Agile AL-2800 Dlx Les Paul
    -Fender MIM Strat
    -Fender DG-8 Acoustic
    Amps:
    -Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
    -Kustom 10W Practice Amp
    Pedals:
    -DigiTech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Guys,

I have been out sick the last 5 days. I believe I ate some bad shrimp Wednesday evening. Started out with very sore joints on Thursday and Friday. It really hit me Saturday, Sunday and yesterday. I did very little playing, but tried a few of the suggested ideas from the “AD30VT” thread.

I did discover that I was using way too much Gain, Volume and Master on all my settings. I was following the manual and other user comments. The tones did clear up extremely well. Thanks for all who helped in providing information.

I also want to say thanks to those who have been providing settings in this thread on obtaining different guitarist tones. Being new to electric guitars and amps, this helps me learn more about the amp. I can dial in the different tone settings and hear where they are going.

I like a clean tone. Does anybody have any “Ventures” or clean CCR tones? I am not looking for surf tones, just a nice clean smooth jazzy tone. Ok, I think I just asked for 2 tones (clean and smooth jazz).

This is a great forum with great people helping the newbies like me.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim; November 15th, 2005 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I like a clean tone. Does anybody have any “Ventures” or clean CCR tones? I am not looking for surf tones, just a nice clean smooth jazzy tone. Ok, I think I just asked for 2 tones (clean and smooth jazz).
    The Boutique CL preset that I mentioned before is the one that I use when I play "Walk, Don't Run." With the default reverb it seems to give a suitably Ventures-like tone.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    The Boutique CL preset that I mentioned before is the one that I use when I play "Walk, Don't Run." With the default reverb it seems to give a suitably Ventures-like tone.
    Marnold,

I scanned this thread and found your settings for Blues - Black 2X10, Blues - Tweed 4X10 and NuMetal. I could not find the Boutique CL seetings. Could you repeat them please?

Thanks.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

The AC15 model is really mellow sounding. I tend to think that would be a great humbucker neck pickup jazz amp. Sounds good when you want really round mellow sounds for jazz type stuff.

The "Dumble" overdrive special model (the boutique CL and boutique OD) are very metallic sounding in the high frequencies and tons of low end as a point of reference. Very useful for a lot of clean sounds. Except of course the boutique OD has a lot more gain than the CL...which you really can't overdrive anyway no matter how much you try.

The Fender models (2x12 blackface and the tweed 4x10) sound REALLY close to the real things. The 2x12 blackface sounds like a Fender Twin which tends to have a lot of midrange voicing with tight low end. Really great with single coil pickups as the manual suggests. You can add gain to that to really create a touch sensitive voicing but like the boutique CL you really can't overdrive it to all out distortion. It will distort at max gain but only when you really hit the strings hard. I usually set my gain on that model from 12:00 to 3:00...give it bouncing off the fretboard presence and "clean" drive but it doesn't distort like any of the high gain UK models. The tweed 4x10 is totally different. It sounds like a Fender Bassman and reacts to gain AND volume settings just like the real thing. It will distort much easier and the distortion can be real muddy sounding like your speaker is blown. Very mushy gain...but again very useful if you set your gain and volumes at just below that threshold before it starts to really break up. With any clean sounds you can always back off on the guitar volume knob to clean things up yet still have that amp drive behind you. I like pushing the gains up to almost the breaking up point of the amp just for that drive. The tube compression really kicks in like a real tube amp when you set it that way.

The AC30TB is cool. Very bright due to the Top Boost mode the amp is in. Its a very useful model. The clean sounds are bright and airy with decent tight bottom end. When you overdrive the amp you get that distinct bark of a real Vox amp. At lower gain settings and hard playing think of that Romantics song "What I like about You"...or anything from Tom Petty. At higher gain settings with compression on humbucker equipt guitars think anything from Brian May. Really barky amp. Really cool.

I bought the amp JUST FOR the clean sounds. The high gain models sound really great too especially with humbuckers. I really prefer the natural guitar sound without any effects except for maybe a little bit of reverb or delay. But for the most part my effects are bypassed. I just love the pure sound of the guitar I'm playing...coming through the models.

Post Thanks / Like

Tone2thebone,

Thanks for all the information. It would of taken me years to gather all this data. I will be experimenting and tweaking for months to come.

Tim
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Marnold,

I scanned this thread and found your settings for Blues - Black 2X10, Blues - Tweed 4X10 and NuMetal. I could not find the Boutique CL seetings. Could you repeat them please?
    I don't change anything. When you hit the preset button and then dial to the Boutique CL amp, it automatically sets the treble, mid, etc. I don't change those settings at all. So the instructions are these: poke the "Preset" button, dial in the "Boutique CL" amp, play.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

i currently have the AD15VT but am thinking of trading it on the AD30VT or maybe the AD50VT model. I think the 10 speaker will make a big difference in sound.

I have also been thinking that getting a true tube amp with a 10 inch speaker would give me a better sound.

Can i get your thoughts of the AD30VT/AD50VT over the AD15VT and your opinion on how much better a true tube amp in the same wattage and speaker size would compare?

thanks,
    ww
    Last edited by warren0728; December 7th, 2005 at 03:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Either a 10 or a 12 inch speaker would be great. If space and weight is an issue get the AD30VT because its just as smoking awesome a sound as you will get. If you don't mind a bigger and a little heavier amp then the 50 watt model will be good...I know Robert loves his.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks tone.....what about sound quality of the vox versus a true tube amp. I'm just a home player but might start playing with my church jam band.

I think the vox has a couple of tubes but isn't totally a tube driven amp....not sure how that works or which is better.

thanks again,
    ww

Post Thanks / Like

Digital Technology has come a long way. The digital modeling of the Vox amps is really really good. This coming from a tube man.

Let me put it this way...the real tell tale that you're playing through a solid state is that the amp will then behave like a solid state amp when using any kind of overdrive or distortion stomp box.
    It doesn't recreate AS SMOOTH an overdrive when pushed with pedals. Thats my own humble opinion but I feel it is based on experience with both SS amps and tubes. A tube amp will just love your overdrive pedals. You have to mess with your settings a bit or keep the gain low on the pedals when boosting an SS amp. The Vox however, because it is a combination of ss technology and tube technology is probably very close to producing the nice warm overtones associated with tubes primarily because it's power amp section DOES have a tube. Duh. I'm very pleased with the nice warm tones you can get with the amp. The only model on the Vox that really does sound like a typical solid state amp is the Boutique OD model. Its got a tinny sounding top end which is probably useful for some things...but it's a lot different sounding than the other models, even the clean version of itself in the Boutique CL model. The Valvetronix amps are just really fun toys overall though.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks tone....very informative

i do have a couple of pedals including a bad monkey and a 1990s danelectro cool cat (chorus). I think i will trade my AD15VT on the AD30VT and start saving for a nice tube amp for down the road. Would rather get a really nice tube amp later than a cheaper one (spent all my money on the kids for christmas) now.

thanks again,
    ww

Post Thanks / Like

Warren,

I upgraded from the AD15VT to the AD30VT. You will be surprised at the difference the 10 inch speaker really makes. Right now I keep the Power Level around the 15 watt setting. I have not had the chance to gig with it yet. The 15 watt was loud, but lacks the head room needed to play in public.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Tim. The 30 just smokes and it is a LOUD 30 watts. That was part of the appeal for me in getting it. I figured it just wouldn't be a Vox if it wasn't 30 watts.

Post Thanks / Like

well i just traded my 15 for the 30....WOW

haven't had much time to play with it but what a difference!!

I have to give Sam Ash credit....even though i had the 15 for over 60 days they gave me the full price i paid for it towards the 30....best 70 bucks i've spent in a long time!

thanks to everyone for your input.

ww

The once beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Blues Tones

I'm thinking about getting a new practice amp, and I'm considering the VOX AD30VT. How is it for squeezing out a good BB King blues tone? You know, just a good mellow tone, just at the point of breaking up.
    Also how do you owners like the metal grill. Any buzz or rattle problems. I'm thinking about ordering one with the original VOX diamond cloth. It's an extra forty bucks, but it does look good!
    Thanks for any input.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast