Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vox AD Series

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vox AD Series

I'd like to start off by saying how fun the new Vox series of modeling amps are. I decided on the AD30VT for several reasons.

1. I liked how compact the amp is. I can put it anywhere in the livingroom, bedroom, porch etc...without it taking up so much room. Also is much easier to haul around.

2. It is LIGHT...as in...it doesn't need wheels underneath to lug it around. (see #1.)

3. The tones coming out from that little 10 inch speaker are incredible. It's NOT a 12 inch speaker amp though in terms of sound...BUT it is unique in it's own way. It has loads of low end which is a must for me.

4. The cleaner models on the amp are the reason I bought it. I love the Boutique CL model...however you can still get any clean tones with say the UK70s and the AC15 and AC30TB which are other personal favorites and still include some bite and growl. With a Stratocaster type guitar it's a very versatile rig.

The list goes on and on but I'd like to hear about other's reasons why you've chosen the model youd have as far as the Valvetronix series goes.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tone2TheBone, I got mine because I tried in the store and was blown away buy the tones at "bedroom" level. I wanted an amp I could practice with and recording direct with. It doesn't record straight into my computer as nicely as I'd hoped, but it is wonderful for practice, jamming, gigging even. There is not one single amp model I can't make sound great! I mean it! The sounds are all in there. This amp kicks butt.
    Last edited by Robert; September 16th, 2005 at 10:29 AM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

In what way do you find it lacks in the recording department Robert?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I think the noise reduction is kinda corky though. You have to mess with it in order to allow soft passages through before they are abruptly cut off. To me that's annoying. However when you do reduce the noise gate...the amp gets noisy I've noticed especially at higher volumes. With the gain up and with the volume knob and master and the power soak knob in the back of the amp, it's more critical to get that perfect signal to noise ratio I've found. I read somewhere on another thread that if you find your amp excessively noisy you should back off on the output knob in back to about 75%. Seems to help with the hiss of the gain...even on "clean" channels. To me this is normal behavior of SS circuitry though. -Rob

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with recording is that the lineout is bypassing the valve. Hence, that nice, tuby tone isn't there when you record, or use headphones. It's a big difference.

How do you adjust that noise reduction feature?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't mike your amp?

To adjust the noise gate you have to press the bypass button and hold down the tap button while turning the edit 1 knob...either clockwise for more reduction...or counter clockwise for less reduction. I find that the best place is in the area where the hold/shift lettering is on the amp chassis which would be about 7:00 on the dial position. You can hear the noise gate disengage (or reingage) when you turn the edit 1 knob.

I bet you miked the vox would sound good. I'm waiting to try it on an open PA system.

Post Thanks / Like

No, sorry, I didn't specify clearly enough - I wanted it to do direct recording straight into my sound card, you know, like a POD. It doesn't sound that great for doing this, compared to POD's and similar products.

Yes, miking it I'm sure would sound awesome. I don't have a decent mic though, and no mic preamp. (Need to go shopping)

Thanks Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, Rob, I accidentally deleted your last message!

Anyway, glad you like my sounds! I've got good guitars too!

How about you come up here to Canada and I'll show you all the secrets tone?

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I ALMOST traded my AD30VT for the 50 watt model on Friday after I left work...but didn't. I tried the amp and it sounded good with the 12 inch speaker...but the models were still very much like the model on my amp so I decided to keep what I had. I'm so glad too because I just LOVE the small amp for practice! Anyway I've been playing my Marshall all weekend and I've been in tone bliss the whole time. Today I spent more time with the 30 watt Vox and now I have dialed in a "starter" position for almost all the amps. I pretty much have the volume maxed out on all models with the gain starting at about 1:00 and increase it from there for overdrive if I want it. Even now my AC15 model which has been my lousiest model...sounds much better with higher volume settings. I think I didn't have enough volume coming out of the models and so the tone wasn't as full as it should have been. My master volume is always either at 12:00 or higher. (was always lower before). I've finally nailed my OWN personal tone heaven bro. I'd still like to jam with you though so...beer and steaks on you if I go up there? -Rob

ps- I finally have a beautiful blackface 2x12 sound with my new settings on the volume.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Beer and Steaks on me buddy, count on it!

Great to hear you are finding your own tones with the amp. Both the 30 and the 50 are great. I bet if you modded the 30 and got a speaker out on it, you could connect a 1x12 little cab and get even better tones. That wouldn't be so hard to haul, would it?

Definitely gotta play ALL amps LOUD, isn't that the first thing a rocker should know Just teasin' ya! I bet your Marshall sounds sweet when cranked a bit. I'm still waiting for those sound clips...

Post Thanks / Like

Yup I'm going to Ebay and look for a good 8 ohm 12" cabinet! I can do the speaker out mod myself.

Well with a Marshall or a Hellhound the master volume is easy to work with. It's taken me awhile to figure out how the multi volumed Vox works best. You've known all along how it works haven't you.!!! hahahaha

I like my steak medium.

Post Thanks / Like

I can do great tasting medium steaks.
    The Hellhound actually likes to be played loud - it's a power house and at low volume it doesn't "bloom" at all. Tube amps are made to be played LOUD! Eh?

Post Thanks / Like

You better believe it eh.

Post Thanks / Like

New Vox AD30 setting for Les Paul rock and roll heaven...

UK80s...with compression...compression knob about 70 to 80%. Gain all the way up. Volume all the way up. Treble at 2:00. Mid at 1:00. Bass at 1:00.

This Vox is a really neat tone module in that the knobs actually WORK in terms of how a sound is reproduced. I've NEVER had my mid knob as high as I have had with this amp before...and it seems to almost WANT the mids up like that. Such a killer sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey folks,

I was directed here after coming across the Dolphinstreet site by searching for Vox Valvetronix and Blues. I've got an AD30VT. I've come across a pretty nice blues tone using the Black 2x10, gain at noon, volume maxed, treble at 1:00, middle maxed, bass at 11:00, and master maxed with just a touch of reverb.

I'm looking for a good 80s-era metal tone. I had been using the NuMetal amp. While I like the gain, there's so much gain that the playing kind of gets lost in the fizz. I could tune in a decent Randy Rhoads tone using the UK '70s amp, but I wish it had a bit more gain. Suggestions?

This amp allows for a lot of tweaking, which is both good and bad. There's a lot of different tones you can get out of this amp, but you can search for a long time to find just the right tone.

If anybody else has any other settings they really like with the AD series, post 'em!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marnold, thanks for signing up. You might want to post an introduction in the Fret Players section too.

You could try using the Numetal with a low gain setting; I think that sounds pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

I came across an even better blues sound by adapting the settings from the flash demo on Vox's site. Tweed 4x10, gain at 11:00, volume at 3:00, treble at noon, middle at 1:00, bass at 11:00, master at 1:00 with just a hint of reverb.

For now I'm using this for my 80s metal sound. As I mentioned, to me it sounds somewhat like Randy Rhoads. UK 70s, gain at max, volume at 11:00, treble at 2:00, middle at max, bass at noon, master at 1:00 with a little delay to spice things up.

I tried the NuMetal with less gain a bit. I'm going to have to mess around with it some more.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I like the mid compression on the US Hi Gain model. I find that I need to turn up the treble just a tad when playing through that. Its pretty much reverse on the other high gain models (lowering the treble). Its got that sweet compressed Mesa Boogie sound perfect for lead work and tight rhythms with the volume pot on the guitar turned down. You may or may not be turning your volume pot down on your guitar but I know it helps when you're trying to dial in a certain tight metal rhythm using a hi gain model. Sounds like you're attempting it from a lesser gain model and going up from there. Try doing it the other way around. Go higher gain but maybe not maxed out...but turn down the pot on your guitar. 80s metal totally. Hot rodded Marshalls and stock Boogies. Also experiment with the compression on some of the amps. I love the compression setting on the UK80s like I mentioned before. I usually set my compression to about half way (12:00). Gives me a nice fat George Lynch type Marshall sound which is actually very similar to my own Marshall Jubilee amp sound. I've only used the compression on that UK 80s model only. The other hi gain models don't need it. The other day I played on the UK Modern and it was a very cool sounding Metallica (And Justice for All) sound. I practiced my off rhythm chops playing Blackened and The Frayed Ends of Sanity over and over. Keep experimenting you'll find what you're dying to hear.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I love the compression setting on the UK80s like I mentioned before. I usually set my compression to about half way (12:00). Gives me a nice fat George Lynch type Marshall sound which is actually very similar to my own Marshall Jubilee amp sound. I've only used the compression on that UK 80s model only. The other hi gain models don't need it.
    Do you use the tone settings you mentioned before for that Lynch sound (treble 2:00, mid and bass at 1:00)? The Lynch sound is actually what I'm after. I'm a huge Dokken fan from back in the day. I've been trying to teach myself "In My Dreams." I really prefer a high-gain amp type because the pinch harmonics (a staple of Lynch's style) really scream with lots of gain. Then I giggle like a schoolgirl.

My only complaint with using compression on the AD30VT is that then I can't use delay. I like to use just a touch to give a bit more depth.

The UK 80s and US Higain amps are a lot "growlier" than the NuMetal one which is more fizzy. Unfortunately lots of growl or lots of fizz tends to contribute the same problem: loss of note clarity.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast