Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What strings do you use?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What strings do you use?

I go for SIT 09 - 42. After I had a run-in (literally) with a door a couple of years back, I had to go down in gauge. I used to have 10s and sometimes 11s before that. I go with SIT because I get an extra high E string! I'm not sure if there really is much difference between brands, I haven't really compared. Do you think there is much difference?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno Robert. I've used Dean Markleys, GHS Boomers, D'Addarios and a bunch of others. I really could not tell the difference in a blind "taste" test. I'm sure I prefered one of the brands if I can remember...and actually it must have been the Boomers because thats what I always pick up after all these years. They seem to work just fine and I've never broken any strings ever with them. They sound good...their build is consistent. I use 9s also. Used 10s before and they also sound good. I don't have to use really thick strings for a good tone...the 9s and 10s are fine. I prefer the 9s now because they seem to be a little brighter sounding. Crisper. As long as you have a good amp and you play good enough you'll have killer tone. The GHS Boomers are easy to remember by name I think that's why I've always asked for them! hahahaha j/k

I also change my strings a lot. About once every other month. To some thats a lot...they'll use the same set of strings for 6 months or more! Once they're not bouncing off the fret wire when playing and they start sounding dull then they come off.

Rob
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to waffle back and forth between D'Addario skinny top/heavy bottom and the GHS Nickel Rocker EJ Signature set (which is in essence skinny top heavy bottom). Just can't seem to settle in........ maybe someday.

Post Thanks / Like

I use GHS Boomers Custom Light (.09-.46). Basically the highest three strings are .09s while the bottom end is .10s. I like the combo. I use Boomers mainly because I did try a ton of different strings on my bass back in the day and consistently liked Bass Boomers. So when I went to guitar I stuck with it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I use mostly D'Addario. Pyramid strings seem to be a step up, but I don't know if they're worth the additional $$$.

Post Thanks / Like

D'addario are nice. I like them. Never heard of Pyramid strings.

Does anyone of you buy in bulk? I'm thinking it might be worth buying 20 packs at the
    time or something like that. After all, sooner or later we all need new strings.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

For the longest time, I used Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys - .10 - .46. They sounded great, but didn't stand up very well to my heavy-handed strumming, or frequent string-bending. I've since switched to D'Addario XL's (same gauge), and they've proven to be much more durable, and IMHO, equally good sound-wise as the Slinkys. Not only that, they seem to sound good longer than the Slinkys. One thing I do every couple of days is to clean my strings using Dr. Stingfellow cleaner / lubricant (made by a company named Kyser). It really makes a difference as far as keeping the strings playable for a longer period of time, not to mention getting all of the crud off of them. I think it's like $6 for a small bottle, which lasts a long time. Good stuff!! As for buying strings by the bulk - if you have several guitars, it's the only way to go. You can easily save yourself at least $1.00 - $2.25 / per pack, depending on what brand you use. Over the course of a year, that can add up pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Stringfellow cleaner too, but I keep forgetting about it. I should really use it more often.

Post Thanks / Like

So do we have anyone using some really FAT strings, like 12s or 13s? Any Macho Men here? Haha

Post Thanks / Like

I'd always used 009-042's, D'Addario 1982-2002, then changed to .010's and did it for tuning stability- my right hand ain't so graceful. Last year I went to
    .011's for the Strat and it was no strength issue just took a couple days you know how it is. Tuning stability was even better. Now with the Carvin its back to the .010's where I'll stay. Thinking about joint health and all that.
    Strat
    Rivera
    ENGL

Post Thanks / Like

All my Strats and my Schecter PT get strung with D'Addario 10-46. My super-Strats (Kramer Pacer and Ibanez RG1570) get D'Addario 9-42.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    So do we have anyone using some really FAT strings, like 12s or 13s? Any Macho Men here? Haha
    I know someone who goes in a completely opposite direction...custom set of 7.5s!!!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings (9-46).With La Bella have I too good experiences.I think the diffrence of brands are for example string strenght,sound,in tune staying time,long life etc.
    Guitar:Squier Affinity Strat by Fender(1999)

Pedals:Boss Chorus CE-3,Boss Super Overdrive SD-1,Rocktron Metal Planet

Amp:Roland Cube 60

Other:Tuner:Boss TU-80,Strings:Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky (9-46),Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52),La Bella Electric Lite(9-46)

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone back to using Ernie Ball Slinkys.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

D'Addario XL 10's for me. I wish I could play 9's in tune, but I'm kind of a bruiser that way. During my jazz phase a couple of years ago, I tried D'Addario chrome 11s. I loved the tone I got out of them, but they're really unflexible. I couldn't bend them at all. I wouldn't use them again unless I had a dedicated jazz guitar.

FWIW, on acoustic, I use D'Addario phosphor bronze mediums (13-56), which sounds brutal, but they're great for the alternate tunings I use. D'Addario recently started making them with hexagonal cores, and they seem to last forever now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    11s are the fattest ill go. and thats only on my AS73 semi-hollow
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

.11 DiAddario Chromes on the AS73 and .09 Fender stainless steel bullets on the Strat
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

D'addario .010-.046 on the ESP, Ibanez and Charvel. .009s on the Strat, the Fender Super Bullets they came with. I think I'm gonna keep 9s on the Strat and try Elixirs next go 'round, since SuperSwede recommended them so highly.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

either 10/46's MF house brand or 10/52's D'Addario XL or Ernie Balls
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast