Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potentiometers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Potentiometers

Ok solderers...what replacement pots have you ordered and worked on for your guitars? CTS? Fender? Gibson? My LP is in need of new pots after 20 years of fire, heat, water damage and shredding. Any of you with great tech skills have some input?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer CTS, but I've used ALPHA's also with no problems. When I buy CTS pots, I always check them with my VOM and try to use only those that are 500k or higher for humbuckers and 250k and higher for single coils. I save the others that test under 500k for P-90 pickups (along with 300k pots), and those that test under 250k for overly bright single coils. It might be nit picking, but I've found that it does make a difference. The pots cost under $3.50ea, so it's not a great expense.

Post Thanks / Like

Bloozcat - excellent response...what was looking for. Don't companies like CTS gauge their pots to close tolerances or is it hit and miss? I wouldn't have ever considered checking them...though I might now that I've read your post. Only thing is I have to order them online. Where did you get yours?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Bloozcat - excellent response...what was looking for. Don't companies like CTS gauge their pots to close tolerances or is it hit and miss? I wouldn't have ever considered checking them...though I might now that I've read your post. Only thing is I have to order them online. Where did you get yours?
    The tolerences are +/- 10%...and even with that, I've had 250k pots that measured 209k (225k is -10%), and 500k pots that measured 424k (450k is -10%). Rarely (if ever) do I see any pots that are over the 10% tolerance. I'm sure if CTS were to produce their pots to a +/- 5% tolerance, they'd charge a lot more.

I get my pots from here:
    http://www.internetmusicsupply.com/

They were running $3.22 ea, but I think there was a price increase recently. The site is a little quirky sometimes, and prefers that you use Netscape when ordering. They have been telling me that they're in the process of fixing the site...it couldn't come too soon. They have treated me very well with my orders though. They carry AllParts stuff at about 22% off the prices on the AllParts web site.

EDIT to note: BTW, if you're considering upgrading any wiring in your guitars where top quality components weren't used in the first place (not your LP), I buy capacitors, resistors, and other misc, electronic parts from here:
    http://www.mouser.com/

I usually use Sprague Orange Drop caps, #715P-200v in various sizes (.010mf, .015mf, .022mf, .033mf, .047mf) in my single coil guitars w/250k pots, like Strats. In my humbucker equipped guitars with the 500k pots, I usually use Mallory 150's - 250v in most of the above mentioned microfared sizes. They only run about $.59 - $.79 each. You can spend a lot more on paper in oil caps, and bumble bee caps, but to me (and my pocketbook), I have a hard time hearing any audible difference in tone.
    Last edited by Bloozcat; March 29th, 2006 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I get my pots from here
    all this talk about pots is making me hungry
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    all this talk about pots is making me hungry
    Is that like munchies pot hungry or kitchen pots-you-cook-with hungry?

Post Thanks / Like

could be either!...and one of them i didn't even think about

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Warren - if you make something to eat please leave your clothes on.

Blooz - Thank you for all that information!

Post Thanks / Like

Warren - if you make something to eat please leave your clothes on.
    kinda takes the fun out of it

Post Thanks / Like

What would you have done had your friends come through that door that morning Warren?

Post Thanks / Like

Tone - Duh! He'd have been hospitable, and offered them some bacon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I prefer CTS, but I've used ALPHA's also with no problems. When I buy CTS pots, I always check them with my VOM and try to use only those that are 500k or higher for humbuckers and 250k and higher for single coils. I save the others that test under 500k for P-90 pickups (along with 300k pots), and those that test under 250k for overly bright single coils. It might be nit picking, but I've found that it does make a difference. The pots cost under $3.50ea, so it's not a great expense.
    What do you use with 250k pots for a tone cap?
    -Ray

Post Thanks / Like

What would you have done had your friends come through that door that morning Warren?
    i guess i would have had to make extra pancakes...it would be the polite thing to do!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Tone - Duh! He'd have been hospitable, and offered them some bacon.
    Warren, Nelskie's got ya pegged pretty good. Chaulk one up for suthun hospitality.

Post Thanks / Like

Warren, Nelskie's got ya pegged pretty good. Chaulk one up for suthun hospitality.
    absolutely....a southern man has a reputation to keep!

just be glad i didn't serve them the donuts (look ma no hands!!)

ww

Post Thanks / Like

DUDE! ewww. just. ewww.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

just be glad i didn't serve them the donuts (look ma no hands!!) :eek
    LMAO - Hey ww, line me up w/ a short stack!!

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely....a southern man has a reputation to keep!

just be glad i didn't serve them the donuts (look ma no hands!!)

ww

Somehow I'm not at all surprised by your comment. lmao

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ray82609
    What do you use with 250k pots for a tone cap?
    -Ray
    Depends on the pickups. With overwound pickups, I usually use Orange Drop 715P-200v caps in .010mf or .015mf. With '60's type winds or vintage winds I usually use .022mf or .033mf. These are the values that I've found to work best for me. You could go to .047mf or as high as .10mf if that's what you like.

The older Strats from the '50's used .10mf and .047mf (or .050mf) caps. Later on they went to the .022mf's.

So, try lower value caps for the darker pickups, and higher value caps for brighter pickups. The only one who can tell you what sounds best to you, is you...so experiment a little. I find that having the right k-ohm value pot is an equal part of the cap/pot equation as well. I'll even try 300k pots with some Strats to get the right tonal balance. They, like the 250k pots have the +/- 10% variance as well, so I'll often use pots that are running in the 265k-285k range.

Of course, this is but a part of the overall equation. There's body wood, bridge materials (especially the inertia block), the nut, action height...etc. Guitars are like a big puzzle and putting them together is half the fun (for me anyway )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast