Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot: The State of Maryland can bite me!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry ot: The State of Maryland can bite me!

Not that any of you Marylanders should take it personally.

But I am about ready to swear off out-of-state legal consultation, PARTICULARLY our one client firm that does work in Maryland. I've been working over the past year or so on a post-divorce case involving a looney (literally, I'm talking someone who "sees things") ex-wife law school graduate (who apparently did not pass the Bar and become an attorney thereafter, thank goodness) who has, in no particular order, done sh*t like: put a tape recorder in her daughter's backpack to secretly tape record her therapy session, ordered her son to fake a suicide threat at school (which he did), and fabricated evidence by typing up a supposed "diary" and having her daughter sign it, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

The problem is, the trial court is so p*ssed off at her (and rightly so; I wouldn't cross the street to p*ss on the b*tch if she were on fire), it continues to make stupid procedural errors (oops, son testified that mom's looney, I never was suicidal, etc.-- forgot to swear him in!) that I can't fix on appeal.

Well anyhow, I've been doing work for and paid by an attorney buddy of the ex-husband, and drafting appellate briefs for a SECOND attorney to file. Now that second attorney has got fed up and quit. In the latest round of crap, the appellate court agreed with all our substantive arguments, but said the trial court f*cked up on procedural grounds (like when it forgot to swear in the son, d'oh!). Anyhow, so now we're going to the supreme court of Maryland (whose technical name is actually the "Maryland Court of Appeals"-- why can't they just call it the "Maryland Supreme Court" like approximately 47 other states do? GRRR), and the usual timetable for such second appeals is: first appellate court issues it's "mandate" (order) to the trial court 30 days after the apellate opinion is issued, then you have another 15 days to file your petition in the supreme court, so that the usual deadline is 45 days from the issuance of the appellate opinion to file papers in the supreme court.

So since the appelllate opinion here was issued on January 31, I figured I had a couple weeks into March to get something filed, since the mandate from the first appellate court shouldn't come out until the end of February/start of March.

TODAY I found out, not from the attorneys I work for, but from the actual litigant ex-husband, that the first apellate court's mandate came out A WEEK AGO (two weeks earlier than the usual thirty days), meaning that, instead of mid-March, they have to file in the supreme court by THE END OF NEXT WEEK.

Did I mention I have at least 2 or 3 other projects due in the same time frame?

Upshot: GOODBYE WEEKEND, F*CK YOU MARYLAND COURT OF SPECIAL APPEALS!

PS-- I don't really expect anyone to read all that crap, I just needed to rant.

Hugs,

BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey BK, I have had more than one moment like that. Hang in there.

S
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

The problem is you lawyers sugarcoat how you feel, you need to let it out - show a little guitar face!!!
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Hey BK, I have had more than one moment like that. Hang in there.

S

Haha, thanks (and Just Strum). In the greater scoipe of things, it's no big deal, just frustrating.

Definitely still hoping to go out Saturday night to the last show of a band that has an ex-member of Crash Pad and a member of my side band (Hoyt & the Hotheads).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Even during exam times back in law school, and briefing/trial deadlines, I have taken off Fri and Sat. nights. It's a perspective thing for me.

BTW, Hoyt just got me my CD, plus and extra. He forgot to "pick up" my pay pal payment so I am going to paypal him again. Tell him thanks when you see him. I am enjoying the music!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Aw, give us another chance! Once you get past the Court of Appeals, Maryland is a pretty nice place. There's crabcakes and stuff.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that sucks!
    I've never been to Maryland, always heard nice things about it, though.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Haha, thanks (and Just Strum). In the greater scoipe of things, it's no big deal, just frustrating.

Definitely still hoping to go out Saturday night to the last show of a band that has an ex-member of Crash Pad and a member of my side band (Hoyt & the Hotheads).
    Frustration is a killer, music is a lifesaver.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, my heart goes out to you brother. This kind of crap is the very reason I don't do appeals. What's really sad is this psycho b**** from hell who feels that she is justified in using her children (and in the process screwing them up for life) to get back at the ex. The behavior is not gender specific and unfortunately it happens way to often.

I was fortunate that my first wife and I were able to (eventually) put our differences aside and realize that our children are what is important. I've seen far to many people who never reached that point. And its sad to realize how many children in this world are screwed for life because one, or both, of their parents were never able to get past personal hostility.

Remember what we used to say in law school, the "A" students become professors, the "B" students become judges, the "C" students become millionaires, and the "D" students become vice president.

I guess this is a good time to announce that I'm running for office and I approve this message.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, ditto to what shiner said...

except the running for office part. nuh uh, no way.

i feel for ya, buddy, sorry for what you [and client] are going through...

edit: and more importantly... the kiddos.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    "A" students become professors, the "B" students become judges, the "C" students become millionaires, and the "D" students become vice president.
    The ones that started out illiterate slide by on daddy's dime, become alcoholics, and eventually president.
    Note to moderator--I didn't mention any names!

Post Thanks / Like

This is why you make the big bucks. Suck it up, put on your leathers and kick some a$$. :

Just be thankful that psycho didn't have your children.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rockette! It's good to see you posting over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockette
    The ones that started out illiterate slide by on daddy's dime, become alcoholics, and eventually president.
    Hmmm, unfortunately my daddy was a school teacher, but I am working on the alcoholic part.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Just be thankful that psycho didn't have your children.
    Spud, I'm beginning to think you are a very wise man.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Try Pennsylvania. They call it the "Unified Judicial System," but that's a lie. Each county has its own local rules, requirements, procedures, fee structures -- even their own little cover sheets! Some days it seems like all I'm doing is chasing paper through some court clerk's office.

And Philly is its own special kind of zoo. Has anybody seen the show "Parking Wars," a show on A&E that follows the Philadephia Parking Authority through their daily paces? Imagine the impound lot clerks on that show (behind their bullet-proof glass) manning the desks at the family court. That's frustration!

Anyhow, when I leave the office, I leave it all there, too. Unless someone else rants first . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Spud, I'm beginning to think you are a very wise man.:
    Thanks but Herr Krashpad is truly the wise one here. If I were wise I'd still be gigging like he is.

Post Thanks / Like

The state of Maryland is the best at screwing ya. If your into bitting they probally will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles
    The state of Maryland is the best at screwing ya. If your into bitting they probally will
    That's kind of funny...I think. It is? Right?

Post Thanks / Like

Forget it Wheres the delete option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast