Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Vintage MIJ Washburns / Mid-'80s to Mid-'90s

Thread: Vintage MIJ Washburns / Mid-'80s to Mid-'90s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage MIJ Washburns / Mid-'80s to Mid-'90s

These are the last of the MIJs before the manufacturing was moved "offshore".
    This serie has triangular bracing much like the Tacomas.
    Here is the D-61. It was made in both rosewood and ovangkol, under the same model number (I haven't figured this one out yet). Both have spruce tops. This is the ovangkol version, believed to be an '89.

This one now has a MOP saddle.

Here's the D-67SJ. As its name implies, it's a Southern Jumbo, with spruce (cedar?) top and ovangkol b&s. I believe it's an '84.

Close-up of the headstock, from another D-67.

Last edited by spt; February 22nd, 2008 at 12:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SPT. I've always had a thing for Ovangkol, and that MOP saddle...awesome! You did that saddle right? How does the sound differ from say, bone?
    Last edited by strumsalot; February 23rd, 2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, love that saddle. Easily the best looking saddle I've ever seen.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

MOP is much harder than bone. This saddle is brighter sounding than a bone one. Too much? Very subjective, of course.

Ovangkol sounds somewhere between mahogany and rosewood but I find its "ring"/sustain is closer to rosewood. On this guitar, I find that combination a bit too much for MY taste. Maybe on a mahogany guitar, for someone who plays a lot of single note runs, it might be very desirable.

I can't resist experimenting. For the kick of it. I have a few more blanks, so I will probably try it some day on a mahogany dreadnaught...

Between you and me, I have tried quite a few of these "exotic" saddles, but if I had to have only one, it would be bone any day. Regardless of price. Now, when you factor price in, there's even less of a comparison.

But the cool factor is certainly very high. That, in itself, is enough for some, I suspect...

(Stop it Dreadman, you'll make me blush)