Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
H90 - P90 size question

Thread: H90 - P90 size question

Post Thanks / Like

Default H90 - P90 size question

Greetings.

Possibly thinking about replacing an H90(stacked P90 thing) with a normal P9. Are they the same size...as in depth? I can't seem to locate pics of the uninstalled pickups.

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Good question!

Have you tried the Gibson forum?

http://forums.gibson.com/

I just registered there and posed the question. I'm curious as well........
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool guy. Post here if they answer ya?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Will do!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here's what I dug up:

The H90 and P90 have the same length and width, but the H90 has the dummy coil stacked underneath it. So, the H90 is about twice as deep as the P90.

Hope this helps.....................but it's probably about zero above what you already know.
    Last edited by Plank_Spanker; March 1st, 2008 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mondoslug
    Greetings.

Possibly thinking about replacing an H90(stacked P90 thing) with a normal P9. Are they the same size...as in depth? I can't seem to locate pics of the uninstalled pickups.

TIA!
    from harmony central:
    You're ok, the H90s are designed to use 500k pots
    what kind of guitar are we talking here?
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    from harmony central: what kind of guitar are we talking here?
    I was talking about the Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique.
    Almost cool except for the gold cheezy looking(YMMV) hardware Guitar Of The Week. I'd been wondering how easy a P90 swap would be. TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about the Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique.
    Almost cool except for the gold cheezy looking(YMMV) hardware Guitar Of The Week. I'd been wondering how easy a P90 swap would be. TIA!
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this guitar? Right now you have 2 H-90's, both of which are splittable by pulling up on the tone pots? Does that not give you a P-90 sound? I may be wrong, that I'll freely admit.

My business partner picked up one of these at Fuller's Vintage Guitars in Houston and the range of tones from it is just sick. Another buddy has one and has sold off a bunch of his other guitars as they have become redundant.

While it may or may not be a classic P-90 sound in that guitar, there is a wide range of sounds that can be achieved.
    The liver is bad, it must be punished.

snoglobe

--------------------------
    2007 Gibson BJA LP Junior
    2007 Gibson SG Standard
    2006 Fender Classic Players Series 60's Stratocaster
    2005 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster
    Danelectro U2 RI
    Aria More or Less Paul (80's LP clone with Gibson pups and guts)
    MIJ Squier Stratocaster (early 80's with 2005 Am Stnd pups and guts)

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit this the first time I have heard of anyone with a Good LP want to change anything being that the buckers they do have normally serve a mutitude of puposes having the uniqueness that the Paul has is what makes it so good to begin with IMHO
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

I don't actually don't own the guitar but I played one & liked it pretty well. I liked the neck & weight though as compared to a'56 Reissue(R6) Those pickups split don't sound as good as regular P90s...to me that is.

Thanks for the input y'all.

Post Thanks / Like

Those pickups split don't sound as good as regular P90s...to me that is.

Thanks for the input y'all.
    That's all cool. In the end, you've got to do or get what sounds right for you. It's all part of that endless pursuit of the "perfect sound" that for me, still only exists in my head.
    The liver is bad, it must be punished.

snoglobe

--------------------------
    2007 Gibson BJA LP Junior
    2007 Gibson SG Standard
    2006 Fender Classic Players Series 60's Stratocaster
    2005 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster
    Danelectro U2 RI
    Aria More or Less Paul (80's LP clone with Gibson pups and guts)
    MIJ Squier Stratocaster (early 80's with 2005 Am Stnd pups and guts)