Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Peavey Classic 20 Tube Amp
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peavey Classic 20 Tube Amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Classic 20 Tube Amp

Anybody had any experience with this amp? I know it is a 15 watt all tube amp with a 10' Speaker.

I stopped buy a local pawn shop today just for grins and they have one that si in like new condition for only $115 bucks. The tweed covering is perfect and i didn't see any scuff or wear marks.

I have not played it but might take the tele up there tomorrow to check it out. Thinking about trading my vox ad30vt for it or just buy it outright. I really don't need three amps and i find myself playing the valve jr with the bad monkey more than the vox.

thoughts, opinions, etc.?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Warren - it's going to be GONE when you go back tomorrow. Tweed...tubes...$115...it's a goner.

ps - don't trade in your Vox the Classic 20 amp is cheap!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one of those. It was a nice clean tone, but I didn't like the amp distortion from it. The Classic 30 is MUCH better sounding. I'd definitely keep the Vox if I were you.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    Thinking about trading my vox ad30vt for it or just buy it outright. I really don't need three amps and i find myself playing the valve jr with the bad monkey more than the vox.

thoughts, opinions, etc.?
    Yep, I have a thought--DON'T TRADE IN THE VOX!! Seriously, Warren, that little marvel of an amp offers you such a variety of tones & sounds from the models and effects, I think you'd find yourself regretting the decision down the road. For $115, why not just add that 3rd amp? You can always cut back on beer a bit for the next couple of months and make up the difference!

And if you really do need to limit yourself to two amps, I would think the Valve Jr. would be the more "redundant" one, after buying the Peavey.

P.S. T2TB makes a good point. If that pawn shop is open evenings, I might just hop in the car after supper, if it was me....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

it will still be there (i think).....i was ther around 5:15 and they close at 6. It is a tiny independant pawn shop in an out of the way location. I figured i could trade the vox and have some money coming back to me for another pedal or something....i really don't play the vox much anymore.

I wonder how it will compare to my valve jr. (which i love). I have read reviews on hc and everyone seems to like it.

I like the looks too....that tweed is sweet!

OK maybe i keep the vox (and just buy the peavy) Just read the 2 posts saying to keep it ....i don't think i have given it a fair chance.

ww
    Last edited by warren0728; March 30th, 2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: preasure from fretters to keep the vox!..deleted fender champ reference (it's ss)
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep the Vox man! Or else I have to make pancakes the "Warren-way" in protest!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Or else I have to make pancakes the "Warren-way" in protest!
    don't do it man...its addictive...but it will set you free!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Warren - it's going to be GONE when you go back tomorrow. Tweed...tubes...$115...it's a goner.

ps - don't trade in your Vox the Classic 20 amp is cheap!
    I agree 100% !!!
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

KEEP THE VOX, MAN! I don't own one, but I can tell ya from past mistakes that if there's anything you love about that amp, you'll regret getting rid of it. Case in point: When my rack system went to hell, I went ahead and sold the Marshall cabinet that I had so that I could downsize. BIG MISTAKE! I regretted getting rid of it the moment I sold it, and have never had enough money to get another since.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Tell 'ya what.
    What I've been see'in of Peavey lately has really been pretty awesome!
    To be honest with you, what I've seen in the last few years, was Peavey going down the "bells and whistle" road and quality going south, until recently.
    I have an old Audition 110 from Peavey and the new(last few years?) one they have out is no where near a close comparison. I was shocked when I went to buy my wifes kid one of the "new" audition series amps two years ago! He blew it within a year! Not like the one I know!

Anyhoo,,just my 2 cents
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at my signature you will see that I own a Classic 20. For the price you mentioned GET IT!!!!! This amp on its own is pretty good. Plugged into a 4x12 cabinet it's great! They keep going up in price, are considered collectible and is Beck's (not Jeff) favorite amp.
    The right tubes in the amp will make a huge difference just don't ask me which tubes because I don't know yet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Warren, what's the number to that shop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Hey Warren, what's the number to that shop?
    i don't think they have a phone

they are closed anyway....but i'll be there tomorrow first thing...now i have to decide whether to keep the valve jr. or not!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

They will sound different. Keep them both. Neither will depreciate. Put one in a box with some desiccant and stick it under the bed for a grand child to find after you are gone and go "wow" cool amp!

Post Thanks / Like

You can always stick the Valve Jr. on one of your mustard colored walls I bet it would look lovely up there. What with the burgundy color of the Jr. contrasting nicely with the background...
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Peavey. It's a Classic. Buy it! Seriously, for some odd reason, the Classic 20 was discontinued (along with another great, the Classic 400) far too soon, and today it is considered a collector's item. Me, I would have been waiting at the door for them to open at that price (BTW, it is a pawn shop, go for $100 straight up!). If you check out the Guitar Amp Forum over at Peavey dot com, you'll soon discover that it is one of the favored amps by many of the group's senior members. I have this amp's big brother (Classic 50/410), and I mostly play bass now, but I would jump on one of these little babies in a heartbeat if I found it at that price. My ultimate "dream" amp today is a tweed version of the big, big brother, mentioned above, the Classic 400. It will put an SVT Ampeg to shame!

As to tubes, when it comes to the Peavey Classics, there's only one place that I'll go, and that's straight to Bob Pletka at Eurotubes dot com. He's got mucho experience with the Peavey Classic's, and if you tell him how you plan to use it, he'll custom pick tubes "voiced" for your needs. He sells JJ tubes (the old Tesla) and I believe was their first US distributor.

In answer to the other part of your question, I would keep all three amps, if you can afford to.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

well i just got back from the pawnshop....i got the amp for $95 out the door and picked up a dunlop crybaby gcb-95 at the same shop for $40.

I noticed the amp does have some hum when the master volune is cranked...is that normal....if not what should i look for to quiet it down some. Man it is loud and looks great. I'll take some pics later.

BTW...i decided to keep the vox and the epi valve, jr. too.

I'm going to keep checking this place out....a definate mom and pop shop....they had a nice looking takamine acoustic/electric for $225 that i almost bought.....

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    well i just got back from the pawnshop....i got the amp for $95 out the door and picked up a dunlop crybaby gcb-95 at the same shop for $40.

I noticed the amp does have some hum when the master volune is cranked...is that normal....if not what should i look for to quiet it down some. Man it is loud and looks great. I'll take some pics later.

BTW...i decided to keep the vox and the epi valve, jr. too.

I'm going to keep checking this place out....a definate mom and pop shop....they had a nice looking takamine acoustic/electric for $225 that i almost bought.....

ww
    And you were going to get RID of your Valve Jr.? Buy buy buy buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

You'd better hide Warren cause for what you got that amp for the cops are gonna come looking for you. You stole it!
    See RA's post for the hum thing. They probably all hum at max but new tubes will probably take care of some of that. Depending on how "used" it is you might also replace some of the capacitors. They degrade with heat and use some. A good electronics tech could do this if needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast