Thread: Tele / Strat neck pickup differences?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele / Strat neck pickup differences?

Are there any major differences between Tele and Strat neck pickups other the difference in width/length? I tried searching this out on the Net and couldn't some up with a clear answer.

I did see a couple of posts that listed the number of windings and magnet sizes were different in old vintage pu's, but is that the case today?

There just seem to be more choices out there for strat neck p/u's over Tele's.

Thanks in advance...

David
    Last edited by Algonquin; February 23rd, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: to add 'length'
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Hey brother here is some handwound links for teles both great pups ! The first link has pics so you can see the difference in the lipstick and regular single coil. Click link then click single coil on left.

http://www.smitsparts.com/index.htm

This link is to some of my favorite people!! Lifetime/lifelong friends.Thier fralins rock!

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore...roducts_id=139

Of course fender texas special set is good also for mass produced machine stock. Not sure if ive helped:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK, the only major difference besides the size is the cover. I've always thought that the cover on the neck pup of a Tele looks dorky while having a regular pickup in the bridge. Of course, Leo and most every Tele player disagrees with me on that.

The thing that makes a Tele a Tele, IMO, is the bridge pickup.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gents... I can't really find a substantial difference listed anywhere.

It's not a fair comparison for me to compare my Tele neck p/u with my Strat neck p/u (Duncan Vintage Staggered), because each manufatured pickup is different.

The new Tele Pickguard I have is set up for a Strat middle and neck p/u. If I decide to install a bucker in the neck position... no worries.

Not an issue if I decide to put a bucker in the middle either, it just means a strat p/u would go in the neck.

Then, if I was able to find a wiring diagram to install a toggle to split the bucker, there's be eight differnt pickup settings. Add the fact it has the Fishman Piezo's, it becomes even more versatile. After all, versatility was the idea behind the creation on the Nashville Tele.

Thanks again!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the camp that believes a Tele could be a single pickup guitar just the bridge. That is the only pup I use on mine.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think it's the baseplate, and placement within the bridge that contribute to the unique sound of this p/u?
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    I am in the camp that believes a Tele could be a single pickup guitar just the bridge. That is the only pup I use on mine.
    Then it would be an Esquire :

I'm a bridge p'up guy too. I've found that you need to play with your volume and tone knobs quite a bit to coax the sound you want out of either (or both) p'ups.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Do you think it's the baseplate, and placement within the bridge that contribute to the unique sound of this p/u?
    Y'up. Very much so.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Baseplate mainly, but I'm sure the big old bridge has something to do with it too. Some people swear by the three saddle bridges. I think I'd just swear at them.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could put Tele neck pickups on all my Strats I love them.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

There are several differences...

The original, "vintage" Tele neck pickup that most people think of, has a shiny, nickel/silver cover, Alnico III magnets, and is wound with 43 ga Formvar wire to a resistance of about 7k (I've seen 6.8k-7.6k).

Most Strat neck pickups as we know, have exposed (and usually staggered) magnet rods, Alnico V magnets, and are wound with 42 ga. wire to a resistance of 5.6k-6.2k on average (some are higher).

And of course as mentioned, the Tele neck pickups of the type I described are smaller in dimension. All of these things along with the size and weight of a typical Tele body, all combine to give a Tele a distictive sound, that differs from a typical Strat sound.