Thread: Never good enough...

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Never good enough...

Hey folks,

I have played a session this weekend. There were two really great players that studied Jazz music.

After 45 minutes of constant jamming we had a beer and started talking. Those guys said started discussing about things like "should I have played a diminished chord here and there" and things like "oh shit, I missed to play the drop two chord over the fith of the root of the modal harmony". Big question mark! They told me more or less that they feel they are not good enough and they still have not reached the status where they could "destroy" a normal street player (like me maybe?) with their playing.

In their eyes they were not good enough.

This is a phenomenon that maybe 95% of all guitarist suffer from. I met so many world class players. They all stated that they are not that good and so on and so on. In the beginning I thought this would be understatement, but later I learned that it was the naked truth and they were in a spiral with their thinking!

For me guitar playing is a never ending FUN journey. Some years ago I just stopped comparing myself with other players. I stopped searching for things that other guys could play better than me. Instead I concentrated on the things I coud do very well. I figured out that when I learned things that I saw another one playing, it took only days and I saw someone else playing again something entirely different and I wanted to learn this. It was a MOSAIK of broken pieces. I am happy I have a clean picture right now and I can enjoy making music also if I do not learn 20 licks per day. My forthcoming on the guitar is something that comes naturally right now, which doesn't mean that I don't have a plan or am not organized, but you know it runs smoothely and in a way that keeps me motivated.

Jimi
    Last edited by Jimi75; February 25th, 2008 at 03:45 AM.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)