Thread: My New Toneport GX

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up My New Toneport GX

Installed software about 930pm last night. finally turned off PC and went to bed about 0130am. Coolest item of guitar gear Ive ever bought. I absolutely love it and Im sure I havent even scratched the surface yet. Practice amp of choice for sure, will keep my AD30VT for loudness/jamming (was tempted to trade it against a valve junior but I couldnt bring myself to - its such a great sounding versatile amp). This toneport is simply superb :.

The question is, do I go for guitarport online or not? looks great I'm guessing its about £5/month UK ($8 I believe). Any UK users confirm? or any users can advise what its like (I suppose I could give the free 30 day trial a shot)

Toneport GX = Inspiration booster!
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Toneport UX1 - very nice too. It's fun to mess around with Gearbox!
    I haven't tried Guitarport online myself.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Save your money on guitar port. I had a free subscription for 3 months and it is not worth it. If you want to work out a famous tune there is so much information on presets, how to play it and backing tracks for free on the net.

I have the toneport UX1 and it is a great tool. I do not understand why this software sounds so much better than Line6's amps do.

Jimi
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I could always look for free lessons and stuff here
    www.dolphinstreet.com

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, Mr Grumpy!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
    Toneport GX = Inspiration booster!
    +1 :

Agreed!

As for the guitarport online, Im still using it.
    I am no where near Robert and Jimi's playing and find myself there more and more.

I guess it would depend on what your looking for.

I like the guitar tones the lessons provide and save them off for later use.
    I like playing along with the lesson's and songs while Toneport changes the Tones for you. (no footswitch needed)

I don't like paying for it, but found out if you quit guitarport, all your lessons saved will no longer load.
    Kinda keeps ya locked to them.

I waste 8.95 a month on a lot of stuff with less usefulness..
    so.. Until I get bored of it I will keep it running.

Give the free trial a try, then decide for yourself.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like Guitarport, but I go in phases with it. I may go for weeks without using it and some time later I will be seriously into it. There are a lot of songs, and each song includes backing tracks and tab.The artist lessons are also interesting because they show sections of several different songs by one artist. It is certainly worth a try (there is a free trial period, isn't there). Some of my favorites are the Pretenders lesson, the Def Leppard lesson, and the Ernie Isley lesson.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Save your money on guitar port. I had a free subscription for 3 months and it is not worth it. If you want to work out a famous tune there is so much information on presets, how to play it and backing tracks for free on the net.

I have the toneport UX1 and it is a great tool. I do not understand why this software sounds so much better than Line6's amps do.

Jimi
    Nailed it. Save your money for sure and look for the free stuff.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really interested in something like the Toneport GX or possibly the Digitech RP50. I like the price range but I am hesitant not knowing what the sounds are like. I had a Zoom 606 pedal and it was fun but not as realistic as I would like. The clean was pretty nice though. I want something I can jam with when the family wants me quiet. Something I can record with at night with a convincing sound, at least close.
    I have watched some utubes on these but did not leave with any assurance of the realism that they offer.
    Maybe someone could post some clips of a clean and a good distortion like a Marshall or Tubescreamer type sound. Do these things get a good deep sound or are they tinny and thin sounding, fizzy?
    Mr Grumpy your enthusiasm has sold me, because that is what I am looking for, something I can get buried in and have some fun but I am still a wee bit nervous.

Thank you all for your time and help.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, no clips here but may I suggest looking up stingx or superswede's podxt sounds.. or any podxt sounds...that's toneports..there ya go!

I have gone thru the johnson jstation, v-amp, zoom 707 and 505 II probably can not remember a few more..
    this toneport is the one! all the sounds you would wish for!! I liked this little 70 buck wonder so much I have added the powerpack and modpacks.. (onsale btw for 49.99 for three modpacks or the powerpack) with all these, there is nothing you cannot come up with.. it's taken me totally in!!

the sound lacks a little thru my computer speakers which are cheap, but into good headphones it is just fabulous! Now hooked to my home stereo system I have sold one amp and thinking of selling the others.. it just sounds fantastic!

Im a home player so why do I have these amps sitting here! Line6 has some awesome products that I avoided for a long time.. I haven't a clue why!!

I would like to run it thru an effects loop of an amp eventually.. just not have had the time yet.. to busy grinning while playing thru stereo system!

invested 170.00 and every penny well worth it!

Post Thanks / Like

I run it into my headphones and its fantastic on guitar and bass models. Its a bit woolly on the bass models into my 2.1 PC speakers (dont think the little sub is up to much) but into the 'CD in' on my little Marshall MB15 bass amp it is lovely. I still like the tone of my MB15 by itself for bass more than some of the models but the guitar models are simply wonderful. Ive recommended it to several guitar buddies already, one of whom should have got one on his way home form work tonight. I havent heard from him yet so I assume he did : . As a practice tool I think its incredible.

Amps Behringer GM110

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay away from the RP50...I have the 80 and am giving it away...the 250 with artist presets looks like it might be ok tho.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
    but into the 'CD in' on my little Marshall MB15 bass amp it is lovely.
    :

+1... I have tried different ways to get this toneport to work into an effects loop like others mention.. but with no luck (most likely user error)

I had a Crate Powerblock laying around collecting dust.. after failing with the effects loop once again..
    I tried the cd in (DUH!) and it works like a charm!! Although the external cab has dark speakers ...
    running it into the alltone speaker on the Hellhound makes it sound just like the headphones and stereo..
    although not as full as either.. quite content though going this route..

laptop,toneport,SolidState power amp... guess im portable now!

Wonder what guitar speakers would be the best for the modeler?

:

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grumpy,I just got my tone port ux2 today these things are cool,I just plug it in to my little supro to warm up the tone a little the combos on this thing are endless then you can record with it.This should keep me busy for a while.Sumi

Post Thanks / Like

I got a ux2 too. Is the pad input for a bass?

Post Thanks / Like

may I refer you to wannabee's answer in the link?
    http://www.line6.com/support/message...essageID=50154
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you may sir. Cool Thanx!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive also just made the happy discovery that the GX is a great soundcard - set it as my PC default audio device and its livened up all my PC audio tracks no end.

Now for some advice - Im getting excited by the thought of getting into MIDI control of this thing - namely being able to switch between preset tones and turn on and off the stompboxes, just like a real rig. Not really too bothered about wah/volume but maybe with the right controller...

I know NOTHING about midi so am throwing this open to the experts. Im guessing something like a rolls midibuddy or behringer FCB1010 with a simple usb-midi interface would do the trick. Then Id have to get my head around getting it all to talk to itself...
    Last edited by Mr Grumpy; March 5th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Amps Behringer GM110

Post Thanks / Like

The fcb1010 is a solid midi board..not to difficult to program...
    I could kick myself for getting rid of mine..sigh..

In gearbox go under help.. there is a pretty good walk thru on Midi and thirdparty connection.. basicly you just plug yours in and choose it.. then assign the cc numbers... least that's what it looks like.. have yet to mess with it..

here is some fcb1010 info on line6 forum
    http://line6.com/support/message.jspa?messageID=72602
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; March 6th, 2008 at 03:48 PM.