Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photo essay of a "level & crown" (fret work)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some more great material recently posted by Ron Kirn on another forum. Great detail and lots of tips.
    Ron is well known for his tele and strat style builds. I have one of his tele's and it's wonderful
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaste...ele-101-a.html

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work and the tips I can use.
    I recently built a fret jig so I could level the fretboard under tension similar
    to the one in a supply catalogue.
    I've done fretboards without tension and done well but this jig seems to be a bit more precise and at 65 my eyes aren't quite what they used to be

s

Post Thanks / Like

most of my tools are diy lol. ok apart from the leveling radius beam as i got my friend who is a cnc machinist to make me one and bore the insides out. i tend to get by with very few tools realy. i have a home made notched straight edge made with a dremmel and a nice steel rule and i crown and end dress with needle files mostly now. although saying that the beam is only a time saver as i still preffer the no5 jack plane i used to use as it was the way i learned and its more ergonomic. im thinking about making a couple of end bevels next 45 deg and 37 deg. spose im an odd ball in the fretting system.

Post Thanks / Like

Another super useful thread, thanks! Not sure I'm ready to do that by myself just yet though... How messy is it and much time does it take? I've got a mess-hating wife and time-intensive job and kids, which might be incompatible

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DreadMan. I also like to do my own leveling. One thing that often confuses me is the best way to compensate for the lack of string tension when you begin the main initial leveling task. Usually I just loosen the truss rod (hopefully remembering to note the starting point). Is that the best approach?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123