Thread: Sanding Frets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sanding Frets

I don't know if this is the right section for this, but here goes. Ok I got this dunlop guitar care kit. It came with this fine grain sand paper to buff the frets. I was wondering would it take the smooth shinny finish off my frets? They're stainless steel. Doe's it really make that big of a deal if I buff them or not, and wouldn't a ruff surface make grim build up easier? Should I buff them, or not that is the question?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,Skittles you should check out the photo essay of a level and crown its in this forum I think it will answer a lot of your questions.Sumi

Post Thanks / Like

I would think if they are clean, smooth, and otherwise free of scratches or any other type of snot then leave them.
    Ditto on the Dreadman post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    I would think if they are clean, smooth, and otherwise free of scratches or any other type of snot then leave them.
    Ditto on the Dreadman post

Like he said dont fudge up your frets if you dont need to I got lots of auto tools but only break the out if the cars die

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles
    I don't know if this is the right section for this, but here goes. Ok I got this dunlop guitar care kit. It came with this fine grain sand paper to buff the frets. I was wondering would it take the smooth shinny finish off my frets? They're stainless steel. Doe's it really make that big of a deal if I buff them or not, and wouldn't a ruff surface make grim build up easier? Should I buff them, or not that is the question?
    You have to be really careful when sanding frets. If they're already level and the crown is good, all you really need to do is just polish the frets. You can do this by using 000 or 0000 steel wool, and if you wish, a Dremel tool and some metal polish for a final polish. But, before you do anything, tape the fretboard between the frets with blue painters tape to protect the wood.

If you're getting string/fret buzzing and you think you have some uneven frets, follow the instructions in the fret level/polish teutorial in this forum. It's already explained there very well, so I won't re-hash it.

Post Thanks / Like

With stainlees frets that sandpaper will fall apart before you could do anythinbg to mess them up.The paper is just that to polish them.It is very hard to level/crown stainless steel frets they are very hard and will last forever.They wont groove or hardly look used after several years So really you can polish if you want but dont have to.

I know luthiers hate to work on s.s. so im not sure if you need something special material or tool wise im sure Dread will set the record straight.:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper (is it really sandpaper at that grit? ) to polish my frets every now and then. Just a few light passes and they're shining..............
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    I use 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper (is it really sandpaper at that grit? )
    2000 grit... that's smoother than most bathroom tissue! I'm switching brands.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

It's an aircraft canopy polishing kit I've had for years. They're all cloth backed, and the grit runs from 600 to 6000. I use a little metal guard I bought from Stew Mac the fits over the fret and covers the wood while I polish.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG! I worry to much about this guitar I need to focus more on playing. Check this out I decided to sand it. I pulled the paper out of the plastic. Guess what grit?

8000!

You all were right. My frets beat the S*** out of it! It made my fret board smoother. Thats about it

Post Thanks / Like

SS frets are tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    SS frets are tough.

You're not kidding! The only strings that seem to not get eating up so far. Are the coated DR's. Nice strings for the price. The brightness makes it well worth it though. I'm thinking about ordering some stainless wound strings too. They don't sell them around my way anywhere