Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excuse me - gas content

Post Thanks / Like

Default Excuse me - gas content

....whew I got gas bad and it smells like.....Martin!

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DR.htm

just sayin'.

Ok I'll say more. Played one at Guitar Center. Reasonably priced for a Martin. It's their "in between" model on the lower end of the price scale not in the $30,000 range. Guitar is simple and very functional. I don't need a shiny guitar for eargasmic pleasure. This baby sounds so damn good. Words cannot describe. The wheels are turning....again.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Which model?

Here's one for you - http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...ase--00015.htm
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Wrong one Rob. I edited my post to tell which one.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking good Tone! Keep me posted. You know I am wanting that Martin Rosewood/Spruce dreadnought sound one day. That Larrivee D-03R seems the other one I can find that sounds and looks close to me, and is at a comparable price point, and is Canadian built. Do you know where this one is built?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

the music teacher at my kids school has a nice martin acoustic...i complimented him on it one day and he said "play it"....he didn't have to ask twice.

I'm not sure what model it was but it "played like butter"! :

hated to give it back to him....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure where this particular model is made but I know it's still in the US. I really love that rosewood back and sides. Even laminated it sounds wunnerful and feels like an old worn pair of faded jeans when you play it (Warren).

Post Thanks / Like

well i say go for it : but it's always easier spending other peoples money!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Just buy it already it stinks in here.Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Just buy it already it stinks in here.Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww
    LMAO I will I will.....soon!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    LMAO I will I will.....soon!
    Hey Stinky, if I'm reading the two links correctly the one Robert put in his post is all solid, plus comes with a case. The other is solid top and laminate back and side, plus no case.

Have you gone to the store and tried either of them?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stinky, if I'm reading the two links correctly the one Robert put in his post is all solid, plus comes with a case. The other is solid top and laminate back and side, plus no case.

Have you gone to the store and tried either of them?
    The one I played at GC comes with a case and is $899. (less than the advertised price online). I've played the DR and another model which I don't remember what it was ($1899) and both sounded the same. It doesn't matter all that much to me if it's all solid sides and back or not with that guitar...it just sounded freakin' good. There's another Martin dealer on the west side of town I might go over there and see what models they've got. If they have one in that price range that's different in terms of being solid I would consider that one too.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it doesn't matter, it's the sound that is important. I was asking if you tried them to see how they compared. The upside to solid is it will open over time and even sound better as it ages. However, if isn't the sound you are looking for when purchased, I wouldn't roll the dice thinking it will sound better down the road.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it sounded good to me on day 1 my hope would be that it would still sound as good on day 20,000. "Better" wouldn't matter cause by the time I'm old my hearing will be shot anyway and I'd only be able to feel the awesome resonance of my Martin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Well if it sounded good to me on day 1 my hope would be that it would still sound as good on day 20,000. "Better" wouldn't matter cause by the time I'm old my hearing will be shot anyway and I'd only be able to feel the awesome resonance of my Martin.
    On day 20,000 I have a feeling it would or should I say will have one of those Willie Nelson holes. I get the impression it will spend little time hanging on the wall
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

On day 20,000 I have a feeling it would or should I say will have one of those Willie Nelson holes. I get the impression it will spend little time hanging on the wall
    That'll work because it will take me that long to build my music room anyway. I plan to put some of those cool guitar hangers that Warren did in his music room but yeah you're right if I get that baby it won't hang much mate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree that it doesn't matter, it's the sound that is important. I was asking if you tried them to see how they compared. The upside to solid is it will open over time and even sound better as it ages. However, if isn't the sound you are looking for when purchased, I wouldn't roll the dice thinking it will sound better down the road.

Really the top is what opens up more than the back, and certainly more than the sides, as I understand it. The bracing has a lot to do with it too. It can get pretty cork-sniffy pretty fast when you start slicing it that finely. There are differences, for sure, but are the differences worth one to two thousand more dollars? I am finding that the guitars in that retail price range (primarily some Martins, a Guild, and the Larrivee) come close enough that I don't feel I would need to triple the price for my purposes. I would still like to check out a Tak and a Yamaha or two with Rosewood/Spruce. Jimi75's sure sounds nice.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Hey T2TB, I've played a couple of these DR's and they do sound awesome. I've been gassing for one for the last few months. The top has an A-frame "X" bracing pattern. My local shop also has a couple of D-28's and the DR's are right up there with them in low-end and sustain... great balance string to string too.

As Jim Cramer would say...BUY! BUY! BUY!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strumsalot
    Hey T2TB, I've played a couple of these DR's and they do sound awesome. I've been gassing for one for the last few months. The top has an A-frame "X" bracing pattern. My local shop also has a couple of D-28's and the DR's are right up there with them in low-end and sustain... great balance string to string too.

As Jim Cramer would say...BUY! BUY! BUY!
    Strumster you're a man of discernment I see. Your observations equal to what I have been experiencing lately. Yeah I would agree that it's right up there with higher end Martin models and your insight on the balance from string to string is exactly what I was explaining to Sunvalleylawski earlier today. Barring chords up the neck and you still get that warm depth and clarity as you'd get playing open G and D chords at the nut. To me this is the cornerstone of ultimate acoustic guitar tone that you'd ever want. I'm definately wanting to BUY BUY BUY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ahh, Toney! I was understanding what you were doing, but not why. Cool!!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast