Thread: What are some great pickup options for a SX SST62?

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are some great pickup options for a SX SST62?

I have made some mods to my SX SST62 and it sounds great.

I want to upgrade the three single coils to something better sounding, although these sound good already.

Has anyone got any suggestions based upon what they have done or ideas they have?

I am looking at guitarfetish.com and checking out some of theirs. Anyone have any success with the GFS strat pickups on an SX SST?

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

GFS 60's or Premium alnico. On a budget.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Dimarzio Area '61s. I think that an Area 58-58-61 combo would be killer or maybe the new 67-67-61. Of course, they will be much more expensive than GFS.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

No experience with an SXSST but have used GuitarFetish and will shop there again.

Post Thanks / Like

Forget about upgrading the SXs.
    Sell them or leave them the way they are. The pickups sound pretty good in those. Upgrade your Highway Ones instead. Those are worth spending money on. In that case go with some Area 61's, Kinnmans, or Fender Custom Shop.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have a set of Boston Blues overwounds and a set of premium alnico II's both from GFS I could not be more satisfied Not alot of money and very good tone from both sets

Post Thanks / Like

I've been very happy with GFS products and recommend them.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a humbucker from Guitar Fetish and it sounds awesome. Came delivered in 4 days.
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing how great the reviews are for GFS stuff. I slapped a pair of Dream 180's into my Washburn Idol and love 'em. Just ordered a set of 60's-70's Vintage Overwounds for my X-33 (strat-type).

Can't go wrong with GFS.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GFS 'lil killer hot rails

I'm thinking of getting some of the GFS hot rails, but then again I might want to go for something with a really vintage, true strat chime and single coil sound but hot like SRV type sound. I'm not sure which GFS pickup in single coil would be hot and have that great chime like the Fender Custom Shop '54's.

Then again, I'm sure the hot rails would be great sounding.

Those Boston Blues are not hum cancelling in 2 and 4 positions I don't believe. Therefore, what type of sound do you get in 2 and 4 and is it outstanding or what? Are they typically noisy like regular single coils?

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

The middle pickup is not reversed wound so 2 & 4 pos. is not hum canceling with the Boston Blues.This is the set I had in my HWY 1
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/boblalstpise1.html
    The neck and the middle had great vintage tones with very good clarity the bridge being overwound think mine measure at 8.5k,really had punch in the mids and bottom end while maintaining excellent clarity.Mine was wired so the tone was on the bridge this really open up pos 4 & 5....... Really I was covering anything between Albert King to Nugent with these.
    Single coil hum has not really been an issue with me one have been shielding cavity on my strats for a long time and I mainly play at home. I did do a gig under bunch of florescent lights using my HWY1 and my pro jr ( which has its own hum) once the playing starts the noise to me is a non issue.