Thread: Would you buy a relic'd guitar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Would you buy a relic'd guitar?

The reason I ask is that I'm seriously GASing for an LP. My budget won't streach to Gibson territory so while looking at the alternatives the Vintage Peter Green Lemon Drop guitar came across my radar. 'Vintage' are a brand that I've mentioned here before, they are designed by Trevor Wilkinson and come with Wilkinson PUPs, bridges, tuner etc. They are great value for money because they are manufactured in Vietnam but have quility parts and woods.

This particular model is based on Peter Green's LP which was subsequently owned by Gary Moore and I believe used extensively on the Still Got the Blues record. Anyway I can get this baby for €350euro (less than $500). Thats quite a bit less than even an Epiphone LP here in Ireland.

Anyway the only thing putting me off is the fact that it's relic'd, I'm not a huge fan of relics but I do think this guitar has a cool mojo about it.

Here's a review with some close up pics
    http://www.jhs.co.uk/reviews/G&B%20D...V100MRPGM).pdf

Oh and of course, check out the sound...

Tell me what you think ???
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the way it plays and sounds then your question is answered. Personally, I think the relic thing is ridiculous. At least in this case you're not being gouged (pun intended) for it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I think you answered your own question Lev.. its looks good, despite me not liking relic'ed guitars too, but what I mean is.. for the price and features you just can go wrong.

I think I came across the Vintage brand before.. don't they make a Clapton "Blackie" and Cream-era SG copy too?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

There is only one Lemon drop review, but I would read the review on various models to get an idea of the product they manufacture. I only read two models, I figure you're buying it, you can do the reading.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r.../brand/Vintage

I think there are better deals out there, but then again what is priced good here, may not be priced good where you are located.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep Iago, thay make relic'd starts too..
    here's a full list of their range http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

I think I'm going to go for it, I've yet to find a bad review on the net and I'm blown away by the sound on that video. If it came non-relic'd I wouldn't give it a second thought. Funny how most people pay extra for relicing and it's the one thing that's putting me off.
    - Lev

Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb

Post Thanks / Like

Lev, to me it sounds really good, creamy tone with nice sustain and feedback friendly, I suppose the Orange Amp is playing quite a part in the great sound (as well as your experienced fingers) it really sounds like a cool axe. I try a Vintage Strat and it was also sounding great so why not
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    There is only one Lemon drop review, but I would read the review on various models to get an idea of the product they manufacture. I only read two models, I figure you're buying it, you can do the reading.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r.../brand/Vintage

I think there are better deals out there, but then again what is priced good here, may not be priced good where you are located.
    Thanks Strum, there's 3 more HC reviews here http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...emon+Drop/10/1 and I've found positive forum chats around the net on this guitar. I also bought a Vintage PRS copy for my nephew about a year ago and was very impressed with the quality so I do have confidence in the brand. The only decision for me is on the relic'd finish.
    - Lev

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    Lev, to me it sounds really good, creamy tone with nice sustain and feedback friendly, I suppose the Orange Amp is playing quite a part in the great sound (as well as your experienced fingers) it really sounds like a cool axe. I try a Vintage Strat and it was also sounding great so why not
    Thanks Jipes - just to point out that ain't me in the video (I wish it was ). I haven't played the guitar yet so I'd be buying it blind over the net.
    - Lev

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the price and the quality (of sound on the video), I would go for it.
    Yes it is "reliced", and I'm personally not a fan of artificial relics, but it seems like a good guitar and, it comes as it comes - "reliced", so why not.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is a guitar you otherwise like and it fits the bill, go for it. I would not buy a guitar because it was relic'd, but I would not let that stop me if I liked it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be cautious about warranty & such. I'm a stickler for iron-clad warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks all - trigger has been pulled
    I want to get in some loud LP rockin before Lev Junior arrives in April & the sleepless nights begin.

I'll post a youtube vid when it arrives.
    - Lev

Post Thanks / Like

Lev,

If the guitar does what you need it to do, then it's all good - relic or not.

Congrats!

I don't have issues with relics per se, but I just don't get it, especially when the price reflects the extra "work", or the abuse is performed by some shop specializing in "relic'ing" guitars.

A new guitar that looks like it was thrown in an industrial dryer with a bunch of chains and the hardware soaked in salted battery acid is just beyond me.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

pes_laul Guest

My thoughts on relics are If they play good thats what matters and you can always paint it or something. I would rather play it till It looks like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Lev,

I don't have issues with relics per se, but I just don't get it, especially when the price reflects the extra "work", or the abuse is performed by some shop specializing in "relic'ing" guitars.

A new guitar that looks like it was thrown in an industrial dryer with a bunch of chains and the hardware soaked in salted battery acid is just beyond me.
    I agree 100% - I'm not actually paying extra for the relic'ing in this case, that's just the way it comes as it's a tribute to the Peter Green/Gary Moore Model. So my conscience is eased in that respect, there's no way I would pay extra for a relic.

The main benefit of this relic job is the wear on the back of the neck gives it a satin feel which is very difficult to find in this price bracket.

I got an email today from the store to say that the guitar is out of stock and they need to order me one, hopefully it won't take too long!!
    - Lev

Post Thanks / Like

The sound is great....for under 500 I would probably buy it....Washburn did a relicd Idol guitfiddle that I thought was awesome....but I won that gas battle...for now.

I do like the $800 lower end Gibson All Mahogany Les Paul and the Menace Les Paul that is about 900....and the BFG...so who knows
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go out and pay new price for a beat-up piece of equipment, be it a car, a washer, a television, stereo, amp....or a guitar. That's just me. If it's new, I want it to look new, and stay new looking for as long as I can maintain it.

Think of it this way. What do you think would be worth more, a vinatge 1950's guitar that was in mint condition, or one that was beat-up? Seems to me that anything that is collectable is worth more in pristine condition than in heavily worn condition.

But, to each his own. Some like new looking guitars. Some like new guitars that they relic themselves with years of use (and maybe abuse), with a story behind every ding and dent. And some like the look of a guitar with stories to tell, but don't want to wait to slowly create them themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy relics, then I put them away so they stay mint condition.

Seriously, like others have said, if it feels and sounds good, who cares what it looks like?

If it's not an investment, play the snot out of it and put your own relicing on it. Eventually, all guitars that have been played and loved like they were intended, in the hands of players, all look the same.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    My Momma always said "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
    She was funny like that.

Post Thanks / Like

After I own a guitar for a year or so its effectively "Relic'd" anyway...

If it plays good, sounds good and fits in your budget, go for it....